Author Topic: Help! oscilloscope dead on arrival?  (Read 3129 times)

Offline Enry511Topic starter

Help! oscilloscope dead on arrival?
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:09:24 pm »
Greetings, i'm a brand new user and i have recently bought an oscilloscope (first time ever): Rigol DS1102Z-E. It arrived today and after unboxing it, i plugged it in and... nothing; it doesn't boot. The screen is black, the keys and the fan turn on and off periodically (i left it on for several minutes, but nothing changes), i have tried inserting an USB stick with the latest firmware but it doesn't read the drive with no effect (the stick has a led that lights up when it's accessed, and it blinks at the same rate as the keys...). I checked the mains plug with a multimeter and it is within spec (230V AC) and the fuse near the input plug is good. What is going on? the hardware should be good (it's new with no signs of damage on the exterior whatsoever), so i guess it is a software issue. I have sent an e-mail to Rigol describing the issue and i'm waiting for them to respond. What do you guys think the problem is? maybe the fix is easy but i'm blind... (this is my first scope).

I hope this is the right section on the forum.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Help! oscilloscope dead on arrival?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:18:11 pm »

The following users thanked this post: marcus h, S. Petrukhin

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 06:52:22 pm »
Did you buy it new? If so, get it replaced under warranty.

If you bought it from ebay, as used, again, you can return it and get your money back; clearly it does not meet ebay's "used " criteria.

More details on your purchase would help us advise you more usefully.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 07:12:32 pm »
Thanks for the replies, i bought it new on Amazon and it arrived from Germany so, fortunately, it's all within the EU. As i said i sent Rigol an e-mail describing the issue and now i'm waiting for an answer. If i have to return it, it will be a first time experience to me, i hope it will go smoothly.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 07:16:28 pm »
The proper procedure is to contact the seller first and work through them.  Don't jump directly to the manufacturer, at least not yet.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Jacon, AVGresponding

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 07:19:01 pm »
You don't need technical assistance, you need a new unit.  Just exchange it as defective.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, AVGresponding

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »
Amazon has a "no nonsense" returns policy where faulty equipment is involved. A prepaid postage label is issued and the item returned for a refund or replacement. The only potential complication is that this appears to be a cross border transaction so you will need to be guided by what amazon say regarding shipping method etc.

Do not try to repair new equipment unless there is absolutely no other choice. DOA equipment can have a production fault that is challenging to repair and you have the right to a refund or exchange. I suggest declining offers to "repair" the unit as when buying "new" you expect "new" and not what will effectively be "reworked" or "refurbished", otherwise known as a Factory 'B' grade product.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:08:46 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 08:28:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies, i bought it new on Amazon and it arrived from Germany so, fortunately, it's all within the EU. As i said i sent Rigol an e-mail describing the issue and now i'm waiting for an answer. If i have to return it, it will be a first time experience to me, i hope it will go smoothly.
Return it to Amazon for a replacement. It is simple as that! Don't wait; the longer you wait the more reason you give Amazon to doubt you. Put it in the box right now and send it back.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, StillTrying, AVGresponding

Offline GerritMax

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 10:47:41 pm »

Then you should contact Amazon first.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 12:05:34 pm »
Thanks again for the replies, i contacted Amazon today via the website and i am waiting for an answer via email. I also tried a phone number to speak with a human, but the number was not active anymore. All i have to do i wait i guess.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 01:18:57 pm »
Thanks again for the replies, i contacted Amazon today via the website and i am waiting for an answer via email. I also tried a phone number to speak with a human, but the number was not active anymore. All i have to do i wait i guess.

Every time I had a problem with Amazon I clicked the "call me" button and a human called me within about a minute.

(Maybe that's just Amazon Spain...)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 03:43:08 pm »
Well, the usual way is to just put it in the box and send it back. If there is a return form in the box then fill that in or fill in the return form online. I don't get why the oscilloscope isn't put in the post yet. Why do you want to contact Amazon anyway? Do you think the call center employee can help you fix it? They can't and they will tell you to ship it back for a replacement. It is even possible that you can't get a replacement but just have to re-order another one. Many webshops work that way nowadays. Send an item back for a refund if you don't like it and just order a new item.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 07:29:42 pm »
I wanted to contact Amazon to tell them that i want a replacement and i thought that calling an operator would sort things out faster. The thing is that it was Rigol themselves who shipped the scope. To who do i have to ship it to? that's why i contacted Amazon. Wouldn't sending back something with no warning / agreement be worse?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 08:42:06 pm »
So you bought the Scope from Amazon Marketplace and not Amazon ?

If so, the rules are different. Amazon will support you if there are issues but the purchase contract is effectively between you and the Marketplace seller. That seller may have their own process for dealing with DOA cases like yours. By contacting Amazon you are bringing Amazon into the loop which is good but they will likely ask you to contact the seller direct and ask fro an RMA and shipping label. If a marketplace seller does not follow Amazons strict customer support rules then they get kicked off Amazon Marketplace so the seller will usually be helpful. I believe Amazon effectively underwrite purchases via their Marketplace so you are well protected if the seller refuses to help. Amazon do not deal with marketplace returns directly though so sending the unit to Amazon without their agreement would have been a bad move.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 01:19:29 am »
I wanted to contact Amazon to tell them that i want a replacement and i thought that calling an operator would sort things out faster. The thing is that it was Rigol themselves who shipped the scope. To who do i have to ship it to? that's why i contacted Amazon. Wouldn't sending back something with no warning / agreement be worse?

Don't ship anything until you get a RMA label (i.e. seller pays shipping, and there is no doubt where it is going!)

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 12:41:15 pm »
This is encouraging, but it's sunday now so i have to wait till a business day for the reply and yea it was marketplace

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 08:20:17 pm »
This is encouraging, but it's sunday now so i have to wait till a business day for the reply and yea it was marketplace

Don't worry. Rigol is a decent company, they do not have the task to sell a marriage to a buyer and deceive him. I think they will replace without question, just follow the rules and procedure.

In the meantime, try holding down the "RUN/STOP" or "SINGLE" button when you turn it on (I don't remember exactly which one, try both in turn). This will allow you to set the default firmware and reset it to the factory state.
And sorry for my English.

Offline trmntr

• Contributor
  • nice vibe
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2022, 06:49:01 am »
Enry511, Greetings! How was your problem solved in the end?

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2022, 08:53:07 am »
Enry511 has not logged in to the forum since December 2020. Do not hold your breath waiting for a reply.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2022, 09:01:44 am »
Enry511 has not logged in to the forum since December 2020. Do not hold your breath waiting for a reply.
:-DD
And sorry for my English.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf