Author Topic: buying bench-top multimeter under 1000$  (Read 15598 times)

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
buying bench-top multimeter under 1000$
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »
As mentioned in the title
I would like to own new bench-top multimeter under 1k$
I have found 2 options
1-Keithley 2100 ** 879$
2-BK Precision 5492B ** 553$

which is better and is there anything to avoid if one of those devices chosen ?
also is there another models that is considerable under 1K$

EDIT:
***I am looking for quality over other factors***

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:17:57 pm by nour »
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: buying bench-top multimeter under 1000$
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Consider also the Siglent SDM3055.
Check the forum for theads on this model.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=176&T=2&tid=37
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »
I don't know anything about this brand
does it have good reputation around here!
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 08:25:43 pm »
As mentioned in the title
I would like to own new bench-top multimeter under 1k$
I have found 2 chooses
1-Keithley 2100 ** 879$
2-BK Precision 5492B ** 553$

which is better and is there anything to avoid if one of those devices chosen ?
also is there another models that is considerable under 1K$

EDIT:
***I am looking for quality***

If I remember correctly the Keithley 2100 is an OEM from Picotest, I don't remember the model. Sometimes you can get a better deal going to the source.
You can still get new Keysight 34401A though they have been discontinued. Some stores even have Agilent branded new meters for under $800

Also, right at the edge of your limit is the Keysight 34460 and 34461. The 34461A is $1020 after the EEVBlog discount at TEquipment.net while the 34460 is a tad bit less.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:43:18 pm »
If I remember correctly the Keithley 2100 is an OEM from Picotest, I don't remember the model.
It's Picotest M3500A. AFAIK mostly is considered as a meter with many issues. It's voltage reference is very noisy VRE310J which is inferior to LM399. Some Russian guy modded it with LM399, IIRC he's a member of this forum but don't recall his nickname. On the graph: blue - before the mod, purple - after.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 09:19:44 pm »
I don't know anything about this brand
does it have good reputation around here!
Then it's about time you were introduced to the leading manufacturer of oscilloscopes by shipments in China.
You will not find better product support for other brands than for Siglent products on this forum.

Here's the SDM3055 thread listing release, product development, video reviews and links to latest Firmware.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 09:24:32 pm »
I'd seriously consider an Agilent if it is in your budget long before a Siglent product.
VE7FM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »
@wraper
so you are saying it is preferable to avoid the Keithley model 2100 !! and

ok what about the other one: BK Precision 5492B does it worse the money!?

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:55:00 pm »
As long as you don't even know companies that deliver bench-top multimeters I recommend you better save the bugs and start right at the beginning. My guess is, you don't really know what you need and just want to spend some money.
However, a used and calibrated device is even more worth the money than a new one.
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:46 pm »
As long as you don't even know companies that deliver bench-top multimeters I recommend you better save the bugs and start right at the beginning. My guess is, you don't really know what you need and just want to spend some money.
However, a used and calibrated device is even more worth the money than a new one.

I know some brands not all of them  ::)
I am not a professional I am a hobbyist and I am not a beginner though, I just want to take my skills to the next level

I want something to use for about a year or so and after that I am planning to buy a high precision equipment.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 11:03:37 pm »
A used and calibrated device is even more worth the money than a new one.

I have to second this.
Sue AF6LJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 11:11:35 pm »
by the way, everyone is saying EEVBlog discount promo code
would someone please point me to this code

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 06:56:18 am »
So far no one commented on the BK Precision 5492B !!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 09:32:32 am »
Vici VC8145 (4.5 digits). They go for aroung $160 and they feature 20A current measurement, capacitance, temperature and very fast continuity, etc. Feature wise these give many much more expensive bench meters a run for their money so if 4.5 digits is enough (and it usually is for general purpose work) then the VC8145 is nearly impossible to beat.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline bdivi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
Vici VC8145 (4.5 digits). They go for aroung $160 and they feature 20A current measurement, capacitance, temperature and very fast continuity, etc. Feature wise these give many much more expensive bench meters a run for their money so if 4.5 digits is enough (and it usually is for general purpose work) then the VC8145 is nearly impossible to beat.

VC8145 is a joke in a thread about $1000 multimeters. Have you seen the internals (or lack of)?

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:09:00 pm »
Take a closer look to the Keysight 34461A
If you have the money, you will not make a mistake with this meter.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 01:44:11 pm »
Take a closer look to the Keysight 34461A
If you have the money, you will not make a mistake with this meter.

Yep, that is why I mentioned it. It has ALL of the features most of us could want or need out of a bench multimeter. The increased current range (down to 100uA and up to 10A) in particular is a large benefit over the 34401A. The 34401A is likely the better value due to some places selling them for as low as $700 and it being 95% of the meter that the 34461A is, but that being said if you can swing it go for the Keysight.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline pmcouto

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »
Nour,

In your original post you mention a limit of 1,000 USD.
Considering this price limit, we’re talking about a professional 6 1/2 digit bench meter, from a reputable Test & Measurement manufacturer.
BK Precision 5492B is not playing on this league.
Neither is Keithley 2100 - As already mentioned, this is a rebranded Picotest meter and cannot be compared with “real” Keithley products, both in quality and performance.

As you mention you want to buy a new meter, I would strongly suggest you consider Keysight 34461A; This a professional precision instrument that will surely serve you well for many years.
Unless you start doing some serious very high precision work, the 34461A is all you need.
However, If you ever need a better meter, there are some options available such as:

-Keysight 34470A
-Keithley DMM7510
-The venerable Keysight 3458A

Of course, these meters cost a lot more...

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 05:51:44 pm »
What about the Fluke 8808A?  Is there a reason people gravitate towards Keysight for bench meters?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 12:29:47 am »
Some of the reasons have been,  popularity,  lots of internet help,  in the past hp-a-ks manuals,  not sure that the modern stuff is so user repairable. Too many ASICs, no schematics!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 12:35:45 am »
VC8145 is a joke in a thread about $1000 multimeters. Have you seen the internals (or lack of)?
Try and find a bench DMM which does 20A! Fast continuity isn't also something you should take for granted in any DMM. The OP did not state any accuracy specifications and since the VC8145 offers/combines several features not found in many bench top DMMs it definitely is a good one to consider even if money is not a problem (just buy 2 or 3).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 12:43:11 am »
A used and calibrated device is even more worth the money than a new one.

I have to second this.

Thirding.

The thing with a used piece of gear that is within cal, has higher measurement confidence than a new meter out of the box. A new meter does not have the history a new one does. It does not have all of the long-term-drift components worked out of it.

That being said, at $1k, you're right in the middle between the more classical hobby space, and the professional space. Personally I'd hold out a bit longer and get a Keygilent/Agisight or a Fluke (I'm biased to the Fluke 8846A).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 02:37:52 am »
thanks for all the people how answered or added any value

I think I will hold a little bit and dig further until I am confidant enough to buy something
I have shifted my choice to keysight instruments but not yet at specific model (because of the higher price range)
other people telling me the same thing about keysight

anyway thanks

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 03:14:23 am »

I know some brands not all of them  ::)
I am not a professional I am a hobbyist and I am not a beginner though, I just want to take my skills to the next level

I want something to use for about a year or so and after that I am planning to buy a high precision equipment.

If you can overspend $20 on the 34461A, you can save the money for future uograde -- unless you are doing really crazy precision things, a 34461A will satisfy your needs with more than plethora.

+1

OP
If you want new as you stated
If you want spend max ~1k$
If you want good quality and from company with real long time good reputation
I will recommend 34461A

If I buy meter, and if I need high quality, I will perhaps not buy new one at at all... there is lot of extremely good  used meters available but then need really exacly know what is doing and what are good and what are not...
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 06:45:42 am »
+1 re the 34461 ; hooked up to its much older bigger brother 3458 (and older / out of calibration 34401), remember accuracy is +/- 1 on the last digit :-DMM
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf