Author Topic: Building a lab from the ground up. Need some suggestions.  (Read 23833 times)

Offline cvrivTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Building a lab from the ground up. Need some suggestions.
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:13:01 am »
I didn't think I would have to ask for suggestions when it comes to equipment, but i think it's a good idea to see what others think. Firstly, i am an EE student. Fairly new to it; Im learning the basics now. Im doing very well in my classes. Now, I have $4000 - $5000 to spend. I have nothing to start with. I did just get done purchasing a PC for this lab so that is taken care of already. I need a power supply,  a bench DMM, an digital oscilloscope, soldering and desoldering gear, etc. A function generator. Now, 4 - 5000 is a lot, but it's not and I know all of you know this. Even though I would like to get everything i need with this 4 - 5000 i would like even more to get the best most important stuff first and then get the other smaller stuff in time. You know what i mean? The power suppy, oscilloscope, and bench DMM are the most important. I havent used a function generator in school yet so i dont know how important it is. Anyways, im will to spend a good amount of money on the power supply, DMM, and oscilloscope. I need these to be good for now and for anything that i could possibly want to do down the road. Knowing me, I out grow stuff pretty quick. For the oscilloscope i was thinking a either a Rigol DS2072A or a used DS2202 or maybe even a DS2202A if i can break a deal with a seller. Any objections to these? What do you think? For a bench DM. I was thinking an Agilent 34401A? An objection to this? A power supply, Im not sure. I was thinking the Rigol DP832, but Dave Jones ran into problems with it. Any suggestions for a similar power supply that is reliable? I havent even looked into a function generator yet or a soldering and desoldering station. A desoldering station is going to be important because i will be tearing apart old shit for the parts. Whatelse? What suggestions do you have for any gear. I already spoke to my professor about this and he thinks its a great idea. He said it'll be usefull for next semester as i will be building circuits in that class. I didnt get advice when it comes to what equipment because i dont think he is keeping up with the times, lol. Thanks for you help.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Building a lab from the ground up. Need some suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:30:50 am »
We just went through this here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$5000-electronics-lab-challenge/

Get two hand held meters instead of a bench meter, much more versatile.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 09:32:13 am »
Maybe after reading this you can come up with more specific questions.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$5000-electronics-lab-challenge/

...and....paragraphs are your friend when it comes to making your posts easier to read.

:popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:34:55 am by DimitriP »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 09:46:26 am »
I already spoke to my professor about this and he thinks its a great idea. He said it'll be usefull for next semester as i will be building circuits in that class. I didnt get advice when it comes to what equipment because i dont think he is keeping up with the times, lol. Thanks for you help.

You don't need $5K to get a home lab for school. $1k would be enough.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
Ill read through that thread. Im typed all of that out on my phone so yea, did it just to get it done. This lab just isnt for school. Its going to be my life. Ill read the thread.

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:25 pm »
Ill read through that thread. Im typed all of that out on my phone so yea, did it just to get it done. This lab just isnt for school. Its going to be my life. Ill read the thread.

If it is going to be your life, why hurry to get it done? You have time; so put aside a budget for projects, and a budget for tools/equipment and do some electronics. The lab will follow as a natural course, unless you don't need it.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »
NOOOO!!  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
Get two bench meters and stack them. Handhelds need changing batteries, clutter your bench, are hard to read when you sit on a chair and always switch off during measurements just as you want to read them. A handheld is great to take with you and do some quick measurements but for use while building a circuit a handheld sucks badly.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
If it is going to be your life, why hurry to get it done? You have time; so put aside a budget for projects, and a budget for tools/equipment and do some electronics. The lab will follow as a natural course, unless you don't need it.

This.

$1000-$1500 will easily get you started, able to do 90+% of what you'll ever need to do (meter, 'scope, PSU, solder, tools).

Buy the special/expensive stuff as you need it. It only takes a couple of days to arrive.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »
Get two bench meters and stack them. Handhelds need changing batteries
Yep. Batteries are a sticking point when it's your day job and they need to be on all day long.

OTOH batteries do last quite a long time (six months with 2-3 hours a day usage) and bench meters restrict you to a working radius of a few feet.  :-//

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:12:29 pm by Fungus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 01:10:05 pm »
The hurry is that i want everything that im using at the school in my apartment before next semester. I dont want to take my time, atleast right now, accumulating equipment, because i have all this cash for equipment now. I will never have cash like this again for good equipment. If i dont spend it now on lab equipment, i might end up spending it on stupid stuff thats not even related to EE. So i want to figure out what i need and get the best that i can now while i can.

I was thinking for now that i would get a really good bench DMM and a really good handheld DMM. This was i have one to veriy to some extent that the other is working properly. Maybe even two handhelds.

It turns out that i will have even more cash for lab equipment than i thought. Ill look through the thread you guys posted and see whats there.

I need very good equpiment thats going to cover a wide range of projects and last a very long time. I dont want to buy the cheapest stuff.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 01:15:21 pm »
The hurry is that i want everything that im using at the school in my apartment before next semester.
Sounds like you already have a list, so... why ask here?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 01:38:54 pm »
I dont want to buy the cheapest stuff.
Still I'd guess you want value for money. The cheap pieces of equipment I'm particulary happy with:
- VC8145 bench multimeters (4.5 digit / 0.01% accuracy)
- Siglent SDG1010 waveform generator (10MHz and below are fanless)
- Feeltech 3200 series waveform generator (dirt cheap but with 20Vpp output which comes in handy)
- Atten 858D+ hot air station.
- Array DC load

Things I would not buy cheap: oscilloscope and a soldering iron (I suggest to look at Ersa or JBC). Still I would try and save some money if I where you. $2k should get you started.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 02:00:02 pm »
Are you willing to go for used equipment? If you're just starting out and have the luxury of taking a while to acquire your equipment, you can probably get everything you need second hand for around 1/2 to 1/3 of your budget.

A few things to consider:
-If you anticipate repairing used equipment or working on high voltage circuits, a SAFE handheld multi-meter is a must. It doesn't need to be your only meter nor does it need to have the highest resolution, but you should have something trustworthy. UL Listed meters like the Brymen BM257s or the mid-level Flukes would be great choices as perhaps a companion to a bench meter.

-For your power supply, you need to determine whether or not you need the programming capability of something like the DP832. If not, then you might consider investing in a used basic PSU from a reputable manufacturer. Power supplies are one of the types of items on which you can find good deals frequently on eBay.

-You need to include some of the smaller things in your budget such as probes, test leads, cables, breadboards, basic components, etc. Don't skimp on the quality of that stuff, or it will make your life a pain in the ass on the bench. This is where comes in real handy.

-You might want to move the soldering equipment higher up on your list of priorities. Don't settle for shitty tools, get a good soldering iron, functional hot air rework station, and a good desoldering gun too if you anticipate harvesting old components.

If I were an EE student, I would be diving into the used equipment market. There's nothing better than finding a great deal, learning by fixing, and finally seeing your hard work pay off as you build up your bench.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:02:49 pm »
Good call on getting a handheld or two in addition to a bench meter.

When repairing a piece of gear, I find it's much more convenient having a handheld meter right in your vision so you don't have to move your head to look up or mess around with min/max modes to take a reading.

I just finished repairing a 34401A. My workspace is chock a block full of bench multimeters but I used a 87V during the repair, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »
Get two bench meters and stack them. Handhelds need changing batteries, clutter your bench, are hard to read when you sit on a chair and always switch off during measurements just as you want to read them. A handheld is great to take with you and do some quick measurements but for use while building a circuit a handheld sucks badly.

I agree, don't get a hand held unless you are going to be doing field work. You will actually get more for your money with a bench meter, the Fluke 8808A is an excellent choice, with VFD.

Offline PaulAm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 03:25:03 pm »
Hmm, I have several bench meters but I find myself typically using a handheld because I can position it so my eyes aren't far from where I'm probing.  Get at least one of each  :)

If you don't need a programmable power supply, you can get really good deals on used HP or Power Designs.  Even if they're broken, repair is often trivial (output filter caps, for example).

Soldering tools are fairly personal, but not an area to scrimp on. 

Also, spend some money on good pliers and other tools.  Maybe a magnifier for smd work.  Those lighted bench magnifiers with lights work pretty well and they're not expensive.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 04:06:03 pm »
Great advice! Yes ill sport used equipment for sure. Some of the stuff im eyeballing is used. I remember Dave Jones saying to not to skimp on a desoldering iron. I definitely plan on salvaging used components. I live in an apartment complex and people throw away electronic stuff all the time. Anyways, so yea, i figured to not skimp on the oscilloscope, the soldering/ desoldering gear, the power supply, and the bench multimeter and handheld. I definitely want a nice programmable power supply. I dont know about the DP832 though:/ Dave and others were having some trouble with it.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 08:24:58 pm »
The hurry is that i want everything that im using at the school in my apartment before next semester. I dont want to take my time, atleast right now, accumulating equipment, because i have all this cash for equipment now. I will never have cash like this again for good equipment. If i dont spend it now on lab equipment, i might end up spending it on stupid stuff thats not even related to EE.

You want to be an engineer? Then, try to address the root cause of the problem before resorting to patches. Spending more than you need on equipment now isn't solving the problem of spending money when you shouldn't be spending it.

You may end up having to settle for risk mitigation, but that shouldn't be your first resort.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:29:47 pm by eas »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 09:52:28 pm »
The hurry is that i want everything that im using at the school in my apartment before next semester. I dont want to take my time, atleast right now, accumulating equipment, because i have all this cash for equipment now. I will never have cash like this again for good equipment. If i dont spend it now on lab equipment, i might end up spending it on stupid stuff thats not even related to EE.

You want to be an engineer? Then, try to address the root cause of the problem before resorting to patches. Spending more than you need on equipment now isn't solving the problem of spending money when you shouldn't be spending it.

You may end up having to settle for risk mitigation, but that shouldn't be your first resort.

Yea, this isn't a problem im trying solve, and even if it was I'm not trying to patch anything. I'm merely trying to buy the best stuff for the money I have to spend right now. There's nothing wrong with trying to acquire better now as oppose to buying better gear later. I have the money now so I would like to get better gear now, so I don't have to worry about it for a very long time. What's wrong with that?!?!

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 10:14:05 pm »
I was thinking an Agilent 34401A? An objection to this?

Why do you think you 'need' something like this? I have worked in engineering labs all my working life and in the last 25 years I've only seen a high end bench DMM being used by an engineer a few times. By contrast, the test dept is loaded with them and we have loads of them in ATE racks. But in the design labs the handheld DMM is the tool of choice and usually something with 4.5 digits is ample.

As for test gear I would recommend you buy something like the Analog Discovery to begin with. It's a very versatile platform and very good value.
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1639278.pdf

You can (could?) get a huge discount on the price if you are a student. There's plenty to play with here.

Don't get seduced/fixated on getting a 'lab'. It really isn't an important part of the learning process and I would even consider it a distraction to a young student.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 05:40:22 am »
I didn't think I would have to ask for suggestions when it comes to equipment, but i think it's a good idea to see what others think. Firstly, i am an EE student. Fairly new to it; Im learning the basics now. Im doing very well in my classes. Now, I have $4000 - $5000 to spend. I have nothing to start with. I did just get done purchasing a PC for this lab so that is taken care of already. I need a power supply,  a bench DMM, an digital oscilloscope, soldering and desoldering gear, etc. A function generator. Now, 4 - 5000 is a lot, but it's not and I know all of you know this. Even though I would like to get everything i need with this 4 - 5000 i would like even more to get the best most important stuff first and then get the other smaller stuff in time. You know what i mean? The power suppy, oscilloscope, and bench DMM are the most important. I havent used a function generator in school yet so i dont know how important it is. Anyways, im will to spend a good amount of money on the power supply, DMM, and oscilloscope. I need these to be good for now and for anything that i could possibly want to do down the road. Knowing me, I out grow stuff pretty quick. For the oscilloscope i was thinking a either a Rigol DS2072A or a used DS2202 or maybe even a DS2202A if i can break a deal with a seller. Any objections to these? What do you think? For a bench DM. I was thinking an Agilent 34401A? An objection to this? A power supply, Im not sure. I was thinking the Rigol DP832, but Dave Jones ran into problems with it. Any suggestions for a similar power supply that is reliable? I havent even looked into a function generator yet or a soldering and desoldering station. A desoldering station is going to be important because i will be tearing apart old shit for the parts. Whatelse? What suggestions do you have for any gear. I already spoke to my professor about this and he thinks its a great idea. He said it'll be usefull for next semester as i will be building circuits in that class. I didnt get advice when it comes to what equipment because i dont think he is keeping up with the times, lol. Thanks for you help.

I can sell you a new (1 hour of use) Rigol MSO2072A for $960. I decided to go with a MSO4014 instead.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 06:01:19 am »

I would build your own power supply. You can recycled an old laptop power adapter into a triple output adjustable constant current constant voltage power supply for like $10 using a couple buck converter circuits and an arduino.

The best solder will make even the cheapest iron usable. With my $10 Zhongdi ZD-98 and Kester 44 #66 Sn63Pb37 .020" I can solder like a boss. Absolutely follow Daves advise and use .020" (0.5mm) diameter or smaller. Also absolutely essential is a Hakko 599B-02 wire sponge.

Here is the order I placed on All-Spec a couple weeks ago:

KW4400     SOLDER WIRE RA 44, .020        EA   $25.26
CW7000     PEN DISPENSER EMPTY FOR FLUX   PKG  $14.48
835100ML   FLUX ROSIN NON-CONDUCT 4.2 OZ  EA   $8.72
80-1-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .030" ESD  EA   $2.79
80-2-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .060" ESD  EA   $2.79
80-3-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .080" ESD  EA   $3.02
80-4-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .110" ESD  EA   $3.26
80-5-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .145" ESD  EA   $3.61
80-6-5     SODER-WICK ROSIN SD .210" ESD  EA   $3.78
599B-02    SPONGE WIRE WITH HOLDER        EA   $8.81
611-1      SOLDER STAND SINGLE REEL       EA   $12.53
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:31:03 am by nbritton »

Offline joesixpack

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 06:56:10 am »
I went through this exact process last year when I decided to go back into electronics and to get a second degree, in EE.  I'm surprised at the amount of nerd-rage generated when someone dares to ask for advice when they want to spend more than a few hundred dollars, without "earning it."  I ignored this nonsense and evaluated each purchase.  I'm now using my gear for freelance projects and just ordered a Keithley 8820-S this morning to work on a customer project.

View Dave's video.  Look at suggestions, then upgrade where you see fit.  That's exactly what I did-- I built up a list and would research the test gear to death and purchase each, one at a time. 

My advice to you or any beginners in general:
- If you don't know you need something don't buy it, or buy the cheapest one you can get your hands on.  When you NEED it, get the best you possibly can afford, for your specific and future needs.
- Don't pay retail for new equipment.  Don't be afraid to get a quote or ask for a discount.  The more you buy, expect the discount to be bigger.  That being said, TEquipment usually had the best deal when I was shopping for new gear and soliciting quotes.
- Sometimes eBay has worse prices than you can get from an factory authorized seller; Sometimes prices on Amazon are worse, as there are sellers on Amazon who will take your order and use eBay as a drop shipper.  Always shop around.

Power supply:
- Forget programmable, focus on cheap and reliable.  Chances are you won't ever use the programmable features anyway.  By the time you really want a programmable power supply, they will all have 6.5 digit meters built in with LXI standard.  Also, I've never had to run my power supply above 24V, so don't go crazy.  Minimum should be a linear power supply with current limiting.  Check out factory certified/used power supplies and you might find a bargain.  I purchased a new Tektronix 0-72V power supply on clearance for ~$323. 
- The Rigols have had some major issues, am I'm not convinced they've all been fixed; same with Siglent.  Mayuono has a cheap power supply with a built in 6.5 digit meter, but is known to generate a destructive 15 V spike when turned on or off.  Or just go to tequipment.net->power supplies and sort from lowest the highest and keep scrolling until you find one that you are comfortable with.
- You can build your own power supply, but after spending hours and hours looking at kits, designs, parts lists, pricing out components, figuring out how to make the case, and trying to find a design with CV/CC and limiting was consuming too much time.  You can purchase a power supply and it will arrive in a few days ready to go.  Yes, it's a great learning experience, but keep in mind most shops don't design power supplies for their products, they buy them off the shelf or tweak reference designs from places like TI.
- Choose wisely and the power supply will outlive you, so long as you don't abuse it.  You'll notice Dave still has his first power supply.

Logic Analyzer:
- You don't need one unless you are working with digital designs serial busses.  When you want one, buy just a Salea logic analyzer.  The logic analyzers on scopes aren't great. 

Oscilloscope:
- Avoid USB oscilloscopes, or multipurpose USB test stations like the NI MyDAQ, or Analog Discovery.  I was forced to purchase a NI MyDAQ for one of my EE courses and it's an expensive toy that was forced to use with terrible, bloated software that only runs under Windows.  The people recommending them never touched one.
- Don't buy an antique/analog oscilloscope unless you just want to collect and repair old stuff as a hobby.  Be nice to people who do this, because a) they know magical stuff about analog design, and b) you might inherit their stuff when they go into the old folks home, and I guarantee they have some cool stuff hiding in cardboard boxes that they've forgotten about.
- Rigol is the #1 recommendation for <$500.  Beyond $1k, they aren't as good a value.  I purchased the cheapest Rigol.  It got the job done, but it was noisy, flickered constantly, and had issues.  Now that I have more experience, I honestly think I would have been happier with an entry level scope from Tektronix, Agilent, etc., for just a little more money.  But every time I thought about buying an entry level scope from the top tier vendor, I'd see people complaining about the limited memory.  I can count the number of times on my right hand the times that would have mattered, provided I set the triggers correctly.  But the bright side is that it was terrible enough to push me to upgrade.  As soon as I had the smallest justification, I upgraded to an Tektronix MDO3014.  I am very, very happy with the new scope.
- Above the $800 price point start looking at other manufacturers.  Hammeg/R&S has some low end scopes that looked pretty good against the Rigols if you get them on a sale.  Keysight too.   
- When looking purchasing your first oscilloscope don't get caught up on extra features, look at primarily at bandwidth and what you intend to do, and the rest will follow.  In the beginning most of your measurements are going to be qualitative (is it 12V or 0V, what does the waveform look like, etc.) and not quantitative (how many nano seconds is the rise time compared to that other signal, how many mv is that signal before the clock arrived, etc.).
- For very basic electronics or basic repair, an oscilloscope is unnecessary but nice to have.
- For basic electronics when you start throwing in digital logic, op-amps, I'd say <=50MHz is fine.
- For basic microcontrollers, look at the signals you intend look at.  Still, I think 50MHz is fine, unless you start getting faster clock speeds.
- More bandwidth is better; lower capacitance probes is better; 10x passive probes are better than 1x/10x probes.

DMM:
- Get two DMMs; two cheap DMMs are better than one expensive one; eventually you will want to measure current and voltage at the same time or check to see if the meter is broken.
- I think a 5.5 digit meter, like the Fluke 8808A is awesome; it's fast and crazy responsive.  I purchased a factory certified one from Fluke for ~$800.  I also have a 6.5 digit meter, and an 87V, but I use the 5.5 digit fluke most often.

LCR meter:
- This is a luxury.  Since I was buying parts assortments I wanted to be able to measure capacitors and unmarked inductors.  Don't buy the $20 LCR/ESR meters on eBay, they are worthless.  Buy the BK LCR meter or similar.
- Also, don't buy jumbo mystery component grab bags, or you will end up with a drawer filled with hundreds of parts you don't use.  If you want to buy an assortment of parts, buy an assortment of labeled known values.  Trust me.  I have a box of unknown chips with part numbers that don't reference to anything.

Function Generator/Arbitrary Waveform Generator
- Resist the urge to purchase the newest Siglent or Rigol waveform generator.  I'm still using the cheap Instek function generator and just now getting to the point where I want to use arbitrary waveforms and noise injection.  When it becomes obvious you need one, buy a good one.

Soldering
- Buy a reasonably good soldering station with replaceable tips.  I'd suggest Weller, Hakko, Metcal, etc.  You want variable temperature control; leaded and lead free solder melt at different temperatures, and the thermal mass changes depending what you are soldering.  Get a thinner pencil tip so you can do through hole and SMD with drag soldering.
- small diameter solder.
- good desoldering braid with a fine mesh.
- liquid flux is your friend (kester flux pen or in bottle)
- For Hot air, I'd recommend Hakko.  They seemed to have the best price when I bought mine.

Etching/PCB fabrication
- While many will tell you just to send the board out and have it manufactured, I etch my own boards and am now playing with applying my own solder mask and using the toner transfer method for silk screen.  You can wait five days to get a pretty board from a PCB manufacturer or spend two hours making a board.  Its up to you.  You can also etch your own solder stencils as well.

Prototyping
- If you are using breadboards, buy the flexible jumper wires.  Don't buy the precut wires, but the flexible ones.  Buy mostly male to male, but purchase some male to female and female to female.  These are handy when you have exposed headers but need to connect to a female logic analyzer or female header.  If you have a cat, buy twice as many as my cat likes to chew them to pieces if I leave them out.
- Cables are handy.  Buy BNC-aligator, BNC-BNC, BNC to mini-grabbers, mini-grabbers to mini-grabbers, post to aligator... you get the idea. 

Spectrum Analyzer:
- You don't need one.

VNA
- Seriously, you don't need one.  If you want to know what one is, find one of the analog scope guys (see above) and offer to clean the cat urine and dead mice out of their garage of analog oscilloscopes and they will teach you what they are.  If they give you one of their scopes, graciously accept it and rent a box truck to help you get it home, or they may get offended.

If you want to get into RF, disregard most of what I say. 

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 08:22:22 am »
I have a more then  average amount of gear (but compared to some here it is not much at all) I started as a hobby, but since a year repairing T&M (and calibration- ) gear repair is my living.  My preferences for gear are related to my use for it. If you repair TV's you need other gear then someone who is prototyping high power motor controllers.

If you do not know what specs you need for an instrument  you do not need it. But I get the point. You have the cash now and the time and there is nothing wrong with being prepared so while in college (or howerver it is called in the usa) that time  can be used for your study and using the gear.

Stripping pcb's for parts is OK for some parts but save yourself a lot of time and problems and buy new what and when you need them.
I used my handheld multimeters more as my benchmeters, now it is  the way around (and for most because my Agilent needs to be recharged so often. (I have 2 rechargeable batteries to swap already) Besides that they stay put, do not fall and are fast.

There are a few things I bought new over the years because they are the most important for my use. A DSO (Hameg 350 MHz), 2 multimeters: (Keithley 2000, Agilent handheld), and a LCRmeter (IET DE-5000) and a VNA (SDR-Kits VNWA)
Besides that a new Weller WD-81, Metcal hot air and a used Pace MBT250 (because it came with a desolder handpiece)
Other things I use a often: Function and pulse generators, curve-tracer, a few analog scopes (most are more or less permanent coupled to something)

A lot of things I used, I build myself. The ones I use regularly are a powermeter, signal generator (25MHz to 2GHz), dynamic load, battery simulator, opamptester, inductor saturation tester. short-finders, voltage regulator-tester, opto-tester, 0-30mA current-source, components tester.

And so will everybody have a different list.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 08:37:29 am »
At school you want to learn about electronics, not about test equipment.

Learning how to use (and not misuse) a piece of equipment takes a lot of time, and will be out of date in a few years. At the moment your time is better spent learning about the fundamentals that won't change over your career.

Having said that, you need to know when you need to use one piece of equipment rather than another - and then you should spend the time to learn how to use it.

Professional engineers know how to do "more with less", i.e. "do for $1 what any fool can do for $2". In this context that implies being able to design something so that it can be tested with simple equipment, and/or using whatever is to hand.

So: don't buy anything until you know why you need it and can't do the same job with what you already have. Then borrow something or buy it cheaply. If you are certain that you will need a piece of equipment with a defined minimium specification regularly over the next few years, then buy the best you can afford. But knowing the "defined minimum specification" requires a lot ok knowledge and foresight!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf