Author Topic: Brymen BM786 surface discolouration upon contact w/ test leads  (Read 741 times)

Offline borezTopic starter

Brymen BM786 surface discolouration upon contact w/ test leads
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:20:05 pm »
Hi all,

Got a strange cosmetic problem. Ordered a BM786 from WeElectron recently (with the packaged test leads). Have a habit to wrap the test leads around the multimeter. Took it out recently and realised that there are discoloured marks on the multimeter (where the leads were wrapped).

It’s a cosmetic issue, but certainly weird and of a bummer (I can’t wrap the test leads now). Any idea on what’s happening? Will drop an email to WeElectron nevertheless.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Brymen BM786 surface discolouration upon contact w/ test leads
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 12:27:26 pm »
Is it possible the discoloration is some kind of coating or silicone rubbing off the leads, or does it look like it's in the blue boot?

I do the same thing with my leads on my BM235...   Only received it last week, but haven't observed anything like that (yet).
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:35:03 pm »
Tried to rub it off with iso alcohol but no go. It seems that the rubber coating got eaten into - I can feel surface indentations when I run my fingers across.

Have I gotten radioactive test leads?  :-\

Offline robert.rozee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 12:37:03 pm »
the problem is discussed in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/protek-their-production-line-is-just-too-fast/msg22352/#msg22352
and:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/protek-their-production-line-is-just-too-fast/msg22559/#msg22559

a relatively common problem in various forms, caused by chemicals from one type of plastic leaching out and affecting another type of plastic that happens to be in close proximity (touching). i'm going to hazard a guess that your meter came with PVC leads instead of silicone.

cheers,
rob   :-)

The following users thanked this post: borez

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 12:42:36 pm »
the problem is discussed in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/protek-their-production-line-is-just-too-fast/msg22352/#msg22352
and:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/protek-their-production-line-is-just-too-fast/msg22559/#msg22559

a relatively common problem in various forms, caused by chemicals from one type of plastic leaching out and affecting another type of plastic that happens to be in close proximity (touching). i'm going to hazard a guess that your meter came with PVC leads instead of silicone.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Thanks - would have thought the prepackaged test leads (which are upgraded versions?) would have been better made. And it certainly felt soft enough to be made out of silicone. My test leads weren't even wrapped around for more than 2 weeks.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 02:49:19 pm »
I wonder if there is something with either the blue colored composition, or perhaps they've changed the recipe in recent years?  I've got a many years old Greenlee DM-280A (rebranded Brymen BM827S) and have always wrapped my test leads around the meter.  The Greenlee boot cover is green, and other than scuffing from use has no marks from the leads at all.  As my primary working meter, it's been tossed into bags and stored in hot cars so it certainly hasn't lived a sheltered life.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf