Author Topic: Are there any lower cost, but reasonable quality handheld oscilloscopes...  (Read 4280 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Are there any lower cost, but reasonable quality handheld oscilloscopes that you recommend?  What is the best bang for the buck?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Are there any lower cost, but reasonable quality handheld oscilloscopes...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 02:08:49 am »
I've got a SHS810, not done heaps with it but's just fine for when I need something away from the mains.
Had it for a few years and I wonder when the battery will give trouble because of the little I use it but so far no problems.  :)
The DMM feature is just a DMM with basic functionality, little more but they can do logging. (Trend plot)

Next step up and very similar is SHS1000 series but with isolated channel inputs.  :)
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pd.aspx?tid=2&T=1
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 02:18:17 am »
Are there any lower cost, but reasonable quality handheld oscilloscopes that you recommend?  What is the best bang for the buck?
First question: what do you want to do with it?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 02:22:38 am »
i have a Hantek DSO1102B. i'm happy with it, it does the job. feature wise it's a older design (and slower in terms of waveform updates on screen) , but does the job for me.

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:57 am »
First question: what do you want to do with it?

Mostly look at signals coming from AVR microcontrollers, projects, etc.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:38:50 am »
So low cost is more important than ruggedness? You could look into the small ARM microcontroller based pocket oscilloscopes. Google for 'mini DSO' and you'll find plenty in the $50 to $100 range and probably some reviews as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 02:54:58 am »
Also take a look at the hantek 6022be or bl scopes. Maybe one of those 10$ salae clones might be helpful, too.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:25:10 am »
I bought a Unitrend UT-81B about four years ago and played with it for about an hour and then took the batteries out and put it back in the box where it has been ever since.   ::) :-[ 

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:30:39 am »
Why?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 03:30:48 am »
Personally, if you don't really need a hand held, I would stay with a larger desk unit.   I like the used Flukes I bought.  Won't compete with my desktop scopes except that it is MUCH smaller and battery powered which was the whole reason I wanted it.

I almost bought a UNI-T UTD1025, but I have not been very impressed with their products and was a little concerned it would not survive my normal use.   They are pretty low cost and do look nice.  The color display pops.  I bet my antique Fluke Phillips scope has a more robust front end.   :-DD

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 04:07:30 am »
Are there any lower cost....

Some suggestions are coming in over $500.  Is this lower cost??   A price range might be a good starting place.  If you want a $60 one then let me know.  That is what lower means to me.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 05:31:22 am »
You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/debranded-micsig-handheld-scope-on-sale-on-ebay/

The scope seems to offer quite a bit for the price they are charging.
VE7FM

Offline Keicar

• Regular Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 06:00:53 am »
I bought a Unitrend UT-81B about four years ago and played with it for about an hour and then took the batteries out and put it back in the box where it has been ever since.   ::) :-[

Yep, I made that mistake also. Mine did see some use, as it was the only scope I owned for a year or more - but I wouldn't recommend that anyone actually buy one. Mine still gets used as a meter, albeit a slow one with a crappy low-contrast display & an awesome appetite for batteries (I use Ni-Mh cells so at least it doesn't cost me a fortune) - mostly so I don't feel that the money was totally wasted.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 07:06:22 am »
I've got a DSO Quad, it works well enough for AVR work, etc.

The user interface is awful and the bandwidth is crap, but... I used it a fair bit before I got my DS1054Z and it did solve a few problems I wouldn't have been able to solve without it. I still take it along to Arduino club meetings because it's portable and fits in a corner of my briefcase.

I say any oscilloscope is better than no oscilloscope at all.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 07:14:53 pm »
I love that! blueskull.
I used it till I couldn't take it anymore....
THAN I BLEW IT UP !!!!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »
I do not recommend UT81A/B/C unless you get it for free/very low price. UI is too limiting, there are not enough buttons, input impedance is inconsistent. At least it can show a current measurement in scope view - that is the most useful feature in my opinion.

Do not choose those cheap oscilloscope kits or BW LCD screens - it may be educational, but it is not useful as a real instrument.

I would look for portable 2 channel with colour LCD and many buttons/knobs with performance of low-end bench DSO. Selection depends on price range.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf