Author Topic: Should scope probes be wound up that tight?  (Read 1048 times)

Online Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Should scope probes be wound up that tight?
« on: September 12, 2021, 07:43:00 pm »
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333209432476?hash=item4d94d4719c:g:RDEAAOSwnvFcvzZb

I want some more of these sweet HP sub-mini probes but I don't think a cable should be tied up tighter than shoelaces.

What do you think? Won't it cause the thin inner conductor to move around in the dielectric?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Should scope probes be wound up that tight?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 07:57:54 pm »
That doesn't look like it is less than 5x  the diameter:

https://www.ia.omron.com/support/faq/answer/41/faq02669/index.html#:~:text=A%20minimum%20bending%20radius%20of,coaxial%20cables%20and%20shielded%20cables.

Personally, I coil mine to about a 4" to 5" diameter and store individually in Ziploc bags (1 qt size) .

Offline richmit

• Contributor
    • https://www.mitchr.me/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:04:31 pm »

It looks like the bend radius is OK for the cable diameter; however, most people coiling cables like this will do so in such a way as to twist the cables along the axis -- which tends to shorten the life of the cables.  People who work with long cables, like stage hands, usually use a special coiling technique to minimize the twist in the cables.

I store mine in zip-loc bags.  I coil them pretty large and am careful not to twist them.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 12:10:10 am »
I want some more of these sweet HP sub-mini probes but I don't think a cable should be tied up tighter than shoelaces.

What do you think? Won't it cause the thin inner conductor to move around in the dielectric?

I Wouldn't do it habitually but that looks like a one-off done by somebody who was dumping stuff and didn't care.

For $25? I'd take a chance.

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 01:22:03 am »
I'm on the fence, thanks all.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 04:17:19 am »

It can break the inner conductor but on oscilloscope probes, the very thin conductor is pleated to prevent this.  If the conductor is going to be broken, then it tends to happen at either end where the strain is greatest.

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 12:12:10 pm »

It can break the inner conductor but on oscilloscope probes, the very thin conductor is pleated to prevent this.  If the conductor is going to be broken, then it tends to happen at either end where the strain is greatest.

I noticed the pleating when I stripped some old cables open. I just think anyone that macramés their probes probably does other horrible things to them as well...

I think I'll skip these, I'll wait for a complete kit with the fun DIP clips and accessories.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf