Author Topic: Global Specialities 3600 Logic Analyzer - anyone else own one please ?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I just purchased a Global Specialities 3600 Logic Analyser for $89

It seems a good deal but it comes without data pods.

Looking at the design I suspect the data pods are just boxes to translate from ribbon cable to DuPont pins for the Logic clips. Nothing like the sophisticated HP LA's. The sample rate is only 100Ms/s so they can keep the high speed comparator inside the instrument.

It would be great to see decent images of the cables, pods and confirmation of whether the pods are just passive transition units.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:29:01 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: Global Specialities 3600 Logic Analyzer - anyone else own one please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:38:17 am »
Those connectors look very much like old SE SCSI connectors, there's a plentiful supply of surplus cables out there if you wanted to hack something together for testing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:22:58 am »
CJay,

That is what I thought when I saw them in the pictures  :)

Sod's law will make them a different pin count though  ;D

I am not too worried about the connectors as a I feel sure I can track them down.
Having read the manuals design description for the unit and for other identical units sold under different brands, I am pretty much certain that the pods are just passive connector transition units with no clever stuff inside them at all.

I studied the units capabilities and was actually very pleased with what I am getting for $89  :). I have several USB logic analyzers but no self contained type for the work bench. This unit looks like a repurposed DSO casing but is relatively light and compact compared to the venerable HP units that I cannot accommodate in my lab. The 100Ms/S sampling rate is acceptable for my use and there are some nice analysis capabilities present. Sadly, for some odd reason, there are no protocol decoders present. I was expecting at least RS232 and I2C. Not the end of the world though  :)

Interestingly, much is made of the RS232 and USB ports for connection to a PC. There is apparently software to display the units data on a PC and this was on a CD provided with the unit. I cannot find that software for download though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:24:49 am by Fraser »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:51 am »
Well I may not have been a huge amount of help but looking at their website has found a copy of a manual for a 'Pencil Box Logic Designer' that I picked up out of the bargain bin at a surplus electronics place many years ago so that was worth it.

They've got a contact us page so maybe that'd turn up the software?

Also, I'd be happy with one of those for $89, was that a one off or were there more?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 11:19:14 am »
Hiya,

The seller appears to have sold his stock of these. There are other sellers offering them, but sadly not at such a good price, and still minus the data leads.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf