Author Topic: GW Intek GDS-2000E VPO and other problems  (Read 5892 times)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: GW Intek GDS-2000E VPO and other problems
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 10:52:41 pm »
Where do you see in the manual or product literature that it is supposed to implement a gradient display?

Offline KrisztiánTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 11:11:31 pm »
Welcome to the second page! :)

Where do you see in the manual or product literature that it is supposed to implement a gradient display?

In GDS-2000E Product Announcement for example:
'The advanced VPO (Visual Peersistence Oscilloscope) signal processing technology combines the multi-layered gray display to enhance waveform display efficiency that allows
users to easily and completely observe inrush signals and rare transient waveforms to increase waveform debugging efficiency.'

http://www.electrocomponentes.com/docs/Osciloscopios/GW%20Instek/Digitales/GDS-2000EEC.pdf

This applies to MSO-2000E Product Announcement as well:
http://www.test-italy.com/Strumentazione_Instek/Oscilloscopi/Instek_MSO_Serie_2000E/MSO-2000E(A)_NPI%20Announcement.pdf

GW Instek GDS-2000E photos here:
https://www.gwinstek.com/en-global/products/detail/GDS-2000E#

'multi-layered gray display' - Displaying only 3 layers are multilayered already.  Why do you complain then?

If they will not fix the display algorithm, then the GDS-1000B is a much better deal. Or rather, I'm saying it's not worth discussing GW Instek GDS-2000E. You have to buy another oscilloscope. It does not seem that MSO-2000E will be better.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:01:20 pm by Krisztián »

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 11:46:34 pm »
Other than the wording you cited, likely a cut and paste job from the GDS-2000A, there is nothing in the manual or the sales brochure that I can find to suggest it does intensity grading.   The image is an edge trigger on a swept sine wave with persistence on.   It gives the illusion of an intensity display, but that is all it is.  The specifications do *not* mention intensity grading of the display.  So if that matters to you I suggest you just return it.  I'm sure there is fine print in the product announcements stating everything is subject to change.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 07:02:16 am »
I'm beginning to think I should devote a day or two to documenting a long list of bugs and then raising the issues with GW. For example, the digital filter app doesn't work at all.  There is no way to turn it on.

Looking at the videos posted and based on my experience, I don't think the GDS-2000E does any sort of intensity graded display with 1.32.  As it appears that 1.36 is available I'll give it a try.
Both filtering and intensity grading work. I'm away for a  couple of days now so I can't post screendumps but I have used both features so this must be a user error on your side.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:44 am »
I've put my 40  PS rise time 10 MHz square wave on my MSO-2204EA with  FW 1.32.    Despite 5 minutes of fiddle, I am unable to get anything resembling a useful gradient display at any sample length.  Which is not to say it can't be done.  Just I can't find a way to do it.  I don't find any option except to set the persistence, but it never does a graded intensity at all.
Not much fiddling required - just using dots display mode:

SDS2304X_Square_50MHz_5ns_fast_dots

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:57 pm »
I tried dot mode and every permutation of  persistence and record length on my Instek.  Not really of any use.  The issue is clearly that the dots don't persist for 4 S.  I'll have to try 1.36 and see if it's fixed.  It would be nice if it worked properly.

Now, my LeCroy is another matter.  I'm really looking forward to getting my GPSDO set up and connected to it.

Offline KrisztiánTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 05:56:50 pm »
Not much fiddling required - just using dots display mode:

You have attached a Siglent screenshot. Here, however, we are discussing the poor visual performance of GW-Instek oscilloscopes. Try this on the GDS-2000E. I tried dot mode on Instek ten minutes after unpacking because it's visual performance in vector mode immediately disappointed.

Dot mode is better on GDS-2000E but you have to adjust the oscilloscope display (memory length) as well signal by signal.

This is what you do not experience on Siglent and you think that GW-Instek is good at vector mode too.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:43:55 pm by Krisztián »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf