Author Topic: Best midrange priced benchtop multimeter  (Read 13964 times)

Offline slurryTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Best midrange priced benchtop multimeter
« on: May 11, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »
Hi all,
i'm in the market for a new benchtop multimeter as my old HP 3478A went out the door.

First, the budget is set to a absolute maximum of about  US$1100 or €1000,
of course most bang for the buck is the rule so if i get any money left i spend it on something else, like beer  :popcorn:

Secondly, i wish 6 1/2 digits and whatever counts that translates to.

Thirdly, the multimeter must have dual display, logging, 4W resistance measurement and LXi...and dB of course!
I know Keithley had THD in one of their older models, i cant seem to find it in any modern meters.. is it just gone? as i'm into audio it would have been nice to have  :)

I have been looking at these following candidates
Keysight 34450
Keysight 34461
Hameg HMC8012
Keithley 2100
Fluke 8808A

Do Tektronix have anything to offer here or is it just Keithley?
Is BK precision just the same as GW instek (i´m not saying it's bad..)
What about PeakTech, any good/bad experiences?
Is any of these a really bad choice/old technology?
Is Hameg as solid as it looks or is it just a fancy display?

A lot of questions, i would appreciate any help and advices,
Surely, i'm not the only one looking for a new benchtop multimeter so please keep the comments clean and informative so this thread can be helpful to others.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:59:47 pm by slurry »

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Re: Best midrange priced benchtop multimeter
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »
I'd say the Keysight 34461 for around 1,000USD is probably the most bang for the buck. I've had my hands on one and it is quite flexible and powerful.
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »
The only 6.5 digit in your list are the 34461A and the 2100. The others are definitely a step below in accuracy.

The 34461A is definitely the more modern unit with a greatly useful UI. It has LXI. It's probably the best unit of the lot, and would be great if you can fit is in your budget.
However, it does not have real dual display (e.g. DCV+DCI). It has some since the latest firmware update (like DCV+ACV, although it's slow). The Keithley doesn't seem to have it either (but I am less familiar with it). In general, dual-display is not common in 6.5 digit DMMs.

So you've got choices to make as I don't think you'll find a unit with everything.

The Rigol DM3068 may be your best bet if you're happy buying Chinese.

BTW, where are you located (for price purposes)?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:21:50 pm »

I have been looking at these following candidates
Keysight 34450
Keysight 34461
Hameg HMC8012
Keithley 2100
Fluke 8808A

The 34450, HMC8012 and the 8808A are only 5.5 digit, so we can toss those out as you mentioned a 6.5 requirement.

For $1100, hard to beat the Fluke 8845A, an excellent, proven bench instrument.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:25 pm »
The thing that would put me off the DM3068 is that there is no published calibration procedure that I can find. If someone knows who can calibrate it and at what cost, then it would make it a contender. I am currently in the process of buying a multimeter in the same accuracy range but have been leaning towards a used one from Keithley or HP because older means stabilized references, usually at least. They also have established records, cost less, and their calibration procedures are well known.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 08:16:25 pm »
The thing that would put me off the DM3068 is that there is no published calibration procedure that I can find. If someone knows who can calibrate it and at what cost, then it would make it a contender. I am currently in the process of buying a multimeter in the same accuracy range but have been leaning towards a used one from Keithley or HP because older means stabilized references, usually at least. They also have established records, cost less, and their calibration procedures are well known.

Two good points,
i rejected the Rigol as i believe that they still have to show that they are as serious player in this field as the others contendors are, only time will tell.
When it comes to oscilloscopes for hobbyists they lead the way so i have no doubt that their next generation multimeters will be really good.
Used is also good, as you point out the reference is truly stabilized, if you buy a new Keithley, Keysight or Fluke i'm not worried, but with a Rigol i'm not as sure..

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 08:30:18 pm »
The 34450, HMC8012 and the 8808A are only 5.5 digit, so we can toss those out as you mentioned a 6.5 requirement.

For $1100, hard to beat the Fluke 8845A, an excellent, proven bench instrument.

I wrote "i wish", not "it must"  ;)
no, really, i do prefer 6.5 digit (and high input impedance) as i measure and compares (REL) a lot of really low voltages from sensors and such, 5.5 digit is ok but still somewhat limiting.

8845A would be a nice meter, unfortunately here in EU, the pricetag is a bit hefty,
almost €1200 / UD$1400 which is a bit of a stretch for my wallet  :(

Keysight 34461A is like €950 / US$1050 here in Sweden, it seems like a no-brainer, or?
I've searched youtube for reviews but except for Keysight-reviews there is not very much to view  :)

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:15:49 pm »

Correct,  this is Rigols statement in their service guide
As the DM3068 does not support user calibration, please send your meter back to us for professional calibration when necessary.
I'm willing to bet they do it all in software and do not wish to publish and provide the software to do the calibration.
When you look at the PCB photo's there's allot of test points as I recall but nothing to adjust it.  I do have one and love it.  But I am a "Hobbist" FYIW.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 11:50:34 pm »
does that mean you can't even calibrate the DM3068 in calibration labs?
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 12:13:53 am »
That is what it implies. Perhaps they give out the procedure to calibration businesses, but until that is known I wouldn't buy one.

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 12:42:30 am »
The Keithley 2100 has a bad rep. Its apparently a rebadge of another (Array?) with lots of firmware bugs and a slow pace of fixes.

They still make and sell the 2015 & 2016, which are the models with the audio analyzing functions, along with the 2000. I like the used 2000 I bought, but if I were buying new, I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled about paying that kind of price for a meter without more modern amenities.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 12:45:14 am »
The Keithley 2100 has a bad rep. Its apparently a rebadge of another (Array?) with lots of firmware bugs and a slow pace of fixes.

They still make and sell the 2015 & 2016, which are the models with the audio analyzing functions, along with the 2000. I like the used 2000 I bought, but if I were buying new, I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled about paying that kind of price for a meter without more modern amenities.
well, they do advertise it as "High precision 6-1/2 digit DMM for critical measurements at a 5-1/2 digit price" so nobody really should've been expecting much.

Online bson

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 02:20:53 am »
First, the budget is set to a absolute maximum of about  US$1100 or €1000,
of course most bang for the buck is the rule so if i get any money left i spend it on something else, like beer  :popcorn:

Take a look at a brand new 34461A... you can likely find one quoted near or perhaps even under the $1000 mark.  6.5 digits with trend graph, histogram, LAN LXI, USB IVI on rear, front USB stick support for screenshots data logging, nice readable screen, warranteed and calibrated.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:44:09 am »
What about the Vici VC8145?
http://vichy.en.ecplaza.net/vc8145-4-7-8-auto--285293-2141886.html
Wouldn't that be enough for your measurements? Or do you really want to measure something like 10.00000000001 V? :)

Offline smgvbest

• Supporter
    • Kilbourne Astronomics
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »
That is what it implies. Perhaps they give out the procedure to calibration businesses, but until that is known I wouldn't buy one.

Just a note as I ask Rigol USA this question and here's the answer so this does apply to the USA specifically

We do have a PV document that allows users to test and verify their DMMs which would be the typical first step that a cal lab would do. Any cal lab can do that.
If for some reason it were out of specification, then our current process would be to ship it to Beaverton, OR where we would investigate, adjust, or repair depending on the nature of the calibration results.
We are also working on ways to improve how 3rd party labs can work with these and other of our units.
When customers asks us for where to go for calibration we have several options currently available:
- Excalibur Engineering in Southern California
- Norway Labs in Beaverton, Oregon
- Broadview Instrumentation Services in Ohio
Each are familiar with our instruments and have done a number of calibrations for us. But any lab is able to do a verification on most any of our equipment.
Sandra
(Yes, I am a Woman :p )

The following users thanked this post: slugrustle

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 08:14:00 pm »
I wrote "i wish", not "it must"  ;)
no, really, i do prefer 6.5 digit (and high input impedance) as i measure and compares (REL) a lot of really low voltages from sensors and such, 5.5 digit is ok but still somewhat limiting.
Saw your OP and thought I wouldn't contribute, but it seems the goal posts have changed.  ;)
http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=176&T=2&tid=37
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 08:16:03 pm »
When customers asks us for where to go for calibration we have several options currently available:
- Excalibur Engineering in Southern California
- Norway Labs in Beaverton, Oregon
- Broadview Instrumentation Services in Ohio
Each are familiar with our instruments and have done a number of calibrations for us. But any lab is able to do a verification on most any of our equipment.

Norway Labs in USA :) Greetings from Norway!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:57:14 pm »
Then 34461A it is, thanks for helping me decide!

Although i'm still curios about the Hameg HMC8012, i need a new benchmeter at work,
anyone used it and can share some experience?
There is not very much on Youtube..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:59:29 pm by slurry »

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:47 pm »
But any lab is able to do a verification on most any of our equipment.

wow, thats derpy.

so you can send it off to some place around the country who will verify, yes its out of kilter, who will tell you to ship it to the rigolna head office. :( bleagh.

-- Aussie living in the USA --

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
Although i'm still curios about the Hameg HMC8012, i need a new benchmeter at work,
anyone used it and can share some experience?
There is not very much on Youtube..

I have one, LOVE IT.  It can also dual measure without relays clattering the entire time.  I've posted a couple threads about it here.

Offline Milo Fisher

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 01:38:50 am »
Good choice. Take a look in any lab or production facility and you'll see Flukes and Keysights and not much else. Frankly, I think the 34461A is a bargain for $1000 and by the time it breaks down, you will either be retired or it will be time to upgrade.

Then 34461A it is, thanks for helping me decide!

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 02:39:26 am »
Hi All,
I saw some listing in ebay for Agilent 3457A with under $1000, I do not know what is wrong with this equipment because I don't have first hand experience with it but I think the price is "under value" for something like this or maybe I don't know what I miss.

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 02:42:00 am »
The Keithley 2015 shows up on eBay frequently for $300 to $400. It is a model 2000 plus $3k worth of ADI SHARC distortion measurement. I bought one. It is a solid DMM and is inexpensive on eBay. You give up the scanner slot. Not a big deal for a volt nut. Scanners are for industrial stuff and research setups.
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 03:15:48 am »
Hi All,
I saw some listing in ebay for Agilent 3457A with under $1000, I do not know what is wrong with this equipment because I don't have first hand experience with it but I think the price is "under value" for something like this or maybe I don't know what I miss.

it's worth 300$ at very most. it's a 90s-era 6.5 digit meter. they are really stable with the aging though, and if you control it through gpib, you can do basically anything you can with a new meter. actually if you add in the relay cards, they have a fairly unique capability that you won't find in a typical comparable new meter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:41:16 am by Fsck »

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:06 pm »
Hi All,

it's worth 300$ at very most. it's a 90s-era 6.5 digit meter. they are really stable with the aging though, and if you control it through gpib, you can do basically anything you can with a new meter. actually if you add in the relay cards, they have a fairly unique capability that you won't find in a typical comparable new meter.

What is unique about an agilent relay card? The Keithley 2000 has scanner cards, the 2750 can accept 5 scanner/matrix cards. I bought my 2750 for $700 on eBay and that included a fresh calibration. It has a 1-ohm range and performs offset compensated 4-wire ohms as well as 20 mV dry circuit ohms.
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf