Author Topic: Bench DMM with simultaneous DC+AC RMS  (Read 8646 times)

Offline forrestcTopic starter

• Supporter
Bench DMM with simultaneous DC+AC RMS
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:24 am »
I am looking for a DMM which can measure and display both DC voltage (average) and AC voltage (mV ripple) at the same time. 

I have a handheld unit that does this but I really would like to get more of a bench style instrument.   I recently bought a DM3058E based on the premise that this unit does this - but in reality it switches between the DC and AC measurement modes, causing the internal relays to cycle with each measurement.  Because this is going to be a common measurement for me I'd rather find something which isn't going to wear out internal relays when in this mode.

I don't need a lot of accuracy/resolution.   A plus would be support of ACV+Frequency and so on.   And no, I don't want to just use my scope....

Any ideas?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
Re: Bench DMM with simultaneous DC+AC RMS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:29:07 am »
What is your budget?

I recently bought a Hameg HMC8012 which does two measurement simultaneously.  It's kinda pricey for a 5.5 digit meter but it's somewhat unique, and I like odd ball stuff.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:56:21 am »
What is your budget?

Let's just say I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I'm not opposed to spend a few/several hundred dollars on this if necessary.   I'm a big fan of finding the right tool for the job, but don't feel the need to pay large for something I'll never use.   

I recently bought a Hameg HMC8012 which does two measurement simultaneously.  It's kinda pricey for a 5.5 digit meter but it's somewhat unique, and I like odd ball stuff.

Looking at a video online about the HMC8012 right now.  Looks nice so far.   I also don't hear relay clicking.  Mine behaves in DC with a secondary AC display mode like the agilent shown at does around 27:35.   Have you had yours in dual display mode and does it start clicking?

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:48 am »
I have a video of it on YT, in dual measure, plus more here on EEVblog.  (I'm mobile right now so no link!)

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:10:54 am »
I have a video of it on YT, in dual measure, plus more here on EEVblog.  (I'm mobile right now so no link!)

I found the dual measure function video of yours, or at least I think it's yours (same truck picture on the account).

Yes, this seems to be just the ticket.    There is a longer review by someone else and a lot of the stats functions (and wattage measurements) that it will do looks like it might have applications I wouldn't have even considered a DMM for...

-forrest

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:18:26 am »
Yeah, its a great meter and offers a true dual measure without switching modes.

If you get really interested I can put up further videos.

Offline Rycroft

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:28:30 am »
The Agilent 3402A will do it, I believe.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:06 am »
Not in the price range but the 8845A and 8846A have dual readouts.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:58:24 am »
The Agilent 3402A will do it, I believe.

It does have dual displays but if you look at at around 27:30 you'll see the type of implementation I'm trying to avoid.   The U3402A seems to do exactly the same thing as my Rigol - it takes one reading, switches the relays around internally, and then takes the other one.   

The keithley 2110 also seems to do this ... see around 2:45.   

I realize that ACmV and DCV may not require a relay switch to read both, but without buying them I can't tell as the manual isn't going to tell you.

Contrast/Compare the HMC8012 mentioned earlier...

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:10:56 am »

They're close enough that I'd consider them.   The only video I could find which showed dual readouts didn't have good enough audio for me to tell for sure if it was doing the "switch relays between each reading" thing or not.   Didn't sound or look like it was, so this might be a possibility.

Do you by chance have access to one?

Offline mimmus78

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:04:05 am »
Also Keithley 2001 has dual readout (trial if you count also frequency) ... but it switches relay between each reading.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:40 am »

They're close enough that I'd consider them.   The only video I could find which showed dual readouts didn't have good enough audio for me to tell for sure if it was doing the "switch relays between each reading" thing or not.   Didn't sound or look like it was, so this might be a possibility.

The 8846A is a fantastic high quality 6-1/2 digit meter, probably the 6-1/2 digit meter to have.  However I didn't think it could do true dual measure, but robrenz has one and I'm sure he can tell you/verify.  I have it's younger brother and it cannot do true dual.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
It's not a Bench meter but the Brymen BM869 can. (if I remember correctly, I will check it later)

edit:
Dual screen: AC+DC RMS and AC (x.xxx)
Dual screen: DC and AC

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:35:05 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
fluke 45 has dual display.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 11:55:47 am »

I am very fortunate to have one.

No relay switching, the dual display is continuous and the same update rate as single display.

primary       secondary
DCV            ACV
ACV            DCV
ACV            Hz
DCI             ACI
DCI             DCV (three wire hookup)
ACI             DCI
ACI             Hz
Hz              Period
Period         Hz
Temp          Ohms

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:43:22 pm by robrenz »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »
DCI             ACA

ACA = A Current Affair   ;D
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »
Thanks, fixed :-[

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 01:22:49 pm »
I am looking for a DMM which can measure and display both DC voltage (average) and AC voltage (mV ripple) at the same time. 

I have a handheld unit that does this but I really would like to get more of a bench style instrument.   I recently bought a DM3058E based on the premise that this unit does this - but in reality it switches between the DC and AC measurement modes, causing the internal relays to cycle with each measurement.  Because this is going to be a common measurement for me I'd rather find something which isn't going to wear out internal relays when in this mode.

I don't need a lot of accuracy/resolution.   A plus would be support of ACV+Frequency and so on.   And no, I don't want to just use my scope....

Any ideas?
Keithley 2001 can display DC, AC, and Frequency simultaneously. The update rate of the display is slowed down since the instrument needs to cycle through the different measurements each time. AC measurement can be set to DC coupled so that AC+DC true RMS is measured. Peak voltages can also be measured instead of RMS, and crest factor can be displayed. It is a very versatile meter. My 2001's are flat (+-0.1 dB) in AC to about 4 MHz and and -3 dB at 7 MHz. Very few meters have better AC bandwidth (only the venerable 3458A comes to mind).

The 2001 is an older design, no fancy color LCD, just a nice VFD. It is still available new, but is very costly (>$4000!!). It is common enough on the used market, but even used, it goes at a premium since it is a true 7.5 digit meter.

There is no reason not to use two different meters, one for DC and one for AC. In fact, this may be the best solution since it may give you better AC accuracy. Consider that the AC ripple is usually << the DC offset. If using a single meter, you can imagine that the meter will need to either change range when measuring the AC portion of the signal, or sacrifice accuracy and resolution by not changing range. The former will likely result in clacking relays, and the latter is entirely undesirable when AC << DC.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »
There is no reason not to use two different meters, one for DC and one for AC. In fact, this may be the best solution since it may give you better AC accuracy. Consider that the AC ripple is usually << the DC offset. If using a single meter, you can imagine that the meter will need to either change range when measuring the AC portion of the signal, or sacrifice accuracy and resolution by not changing range. The former will likely result in clacking relays, and the latter is entirely undesirable when AC << DC.

8846A has 1µV ACV secondary display resolution on the 1V DCV range and 10µV ACV secondary display resolution on the 10V DCV range. No relay action involved.

Offline willb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »

I don't need a lot of accuracy/resolution.   A plus would be support of ACV+Frequency and so on.   And no, I don't want to just use my scope....

Any ideas?

Fluke 45 as previously suggested. It's a little slow when using the dual displays, but it works, will do ACV + Freq, ACV + DCV, etc, and can be easily found for under 200$.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 07:06:14 pm »
If you don't need the resolution of the 8846A could you almost buy two of the HMC8012s for the price.

The Hameg is also slightly more compact, if your cramped on available space.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf