Author Topic: Can OWON SDS7102 do full screen XY mode?  (Read 8723 times)

Offline AndrejaKoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Can OWON SDS7102 do full screen XY mode?
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:32:45 pm »
Hi guys! I see that there are some Owon users here, so I wanted to ask is there a way to do full screen XY mode on Owon SDS7102?

I've tried playing the Youscope demo on it (and was quite surprised to be able to actually see a big part of it!), and I noticed that no matter what I do to the X axis, on both sides two and a half squares are unused, while I can use whole Y axis. Is this normal? How does the XY option work on other scopes with non-square screens? This is my first scope (and my first post on this forum as well), and I don't have too much experience with scopes.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
Re: Can OWON SDS7102 do full screen XY mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:44 am »
Hi , in a few days i'll get mine up and running , it's in bits at the moment , thats if i do not blow it up  ;D

Let me know please on what i need to do (signals wise) and i'll check , but i only have basic stuff ie:no sig gen for example , cheers , Paul
Soon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:17:31 am »
Well for this test, you only need a 3.5 mm TRS audio cable. Plug it into your any audio player and play the file from here with scope properly set-up: http://mirror.kapsi.fi/koodaa.mine.nu/tvt/youscope-wave.wav or here:  http://kapsi.fi/~jpa/stuff/other/youscope-wave.flac

To set up the scope, connect the X probe to the right audio channel and Y probe to the left audio channel of the cable. Set them both to say 500 mV, X10 (worth trying with 200 mV too). Then go to acquire and set it to sample and length to 1k samples. Under display, switch to dots type and turn XY mode on. Now play the file. You should be able to see animations on the scope screen. On analogue scope, it looks like this: Also Dave talks about this in blog number 153 if I remember correctly.

Now the interesting part: If you use the Y channel volts/div controls, you can get the demo to take up whole vertical of the screen. On the other hand, using X channel volts/div controls, the limit of space that can be used is 10 divs.

Also I've read about your scope problems. I hope you get it running fine soon!

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:03 am »
I noticed that no matter what I do to the X axis, on both sides two and a half squares are unused, while I can use whole Y axis. Is this normal? How does the XY option work on other scopes with non-square screens? This is my first scope (and my first post on this forum as well), and I don't have too much experience with scopes.

i remember these scopes have autoscale, so this might be the reason. Try to disable it.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Actually, on them autoscale is disabled by default and needs to be explicitly enabled in order to use it. For my taste it's a bit too slow, sometimes locks up the scope and in general to me feels badly done, so I always keep it disabled. Also autoscale when enabled, will leave the XY mode.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
also I've read about your scope problems. I hope you get it running fine soon!

Me too , i'll know on Saturday probably .
What version do you have as i see you mention lock ups , just before i pull apart yesterday i think the lock-ups on mine have now been rectified as pressing auto-scale now it get there practically straight away , i ran the scope for 5 hours straight and no problems that i can see ...
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/owon-sds7102-nonsense-updates/      ........

re: this x-y test thing that you have , i thought that you might have had a specific test to do , i'm not interested in playing with toys or gimmicks as in that demonstration so i can not help out , for games i use the computer , ok .

cheers....
Soon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »
Well,  mine is 2.6.2 and I'm a bit afraid to modify the patch. :(

As for the second part, well you yourself said that you don't have a dedicated function generator. What I explained would be the easiest and cheapest way to see the effect, since sound cards work pretty well for low frequencies.

If you're really that allergic to the easy way, try inputting two sine waves from something big and serious and totally not a game into the scope which are say 85 degrees out of phase and then try to get the X axis to fill the screen in XY mode.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:12:56 pm by AndrejaKo »

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48:04 pm »
Well,  mine is 2.6.2 and I'm a bit afraid to modify the patch. :(

As for the second part, well you yourself said that you don't have a dedicated function generator. What I explained would be the easiest and cheapest way to see the effect, since sound cards work pretty well for low frequencies.

If you're really that allergic to the easy way, try inputting two sine waves from something big and serious and totally not a game into the scope which are say 85 degrees out of phase and then try to get the X axis to fill the screen in XY mode.

Yes a early one , ever wondered why owon does not supply a fix? , that uk one was going to be a backup if the 2.7.4 did not go well , like alter that config and it should have gone in if something went wrong and if it did not chuck the scope in the bin! or do you know how to pull a backup off the scope itself beforehand ?

Yes ok i did too , but that crap so called music is just that imo , so if i use a tone generator on the computer , stereo - left/right into either scope channel but 2 separate tones what frequency of the tones? , or the same frequency tones just out of phase?
Soon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:12 pm »
That crap (and yes, that's exactly how it sounds) isn't supposed to be music, it's supposed to drive the screen.

For the tone generator option, I used 1 kHz on both left and right and then set the right to be 85 degrees out of phase. The idea is to try to get a circular object in the XY mode, so you can easily see where the X axis limits.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »
I think the Concept of X Y is supposed to be directly proportional at all angles so i think it has to be square by the concepts own design , so to widen it out like on a wide screen would not be a true representation of the concept therefore invalid imo , so i think that basic answer would be the answer you need for the width height issue , taking a guess and did not look anything up either ... cheers.
Soon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 05:40:28 pm »
I feared that, though I'm not sure if my fear is reasonable or not.

Offline GEuser

• Frequent Contributor
  • Is Leaving
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:01 pm »
I can not see why anything would be unreasonable , take for example the concept of x y , supposed to be new or relatively new in the time frame yes , until one takes a look at Mecca and what is there inside , X Y ? from outside!  ;D
Soon

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »
I think the Concept of X Y is supposed to be directly proportional at all angles so i think it has to be square by the concepts own design ,

No, you could keep the same aspect ration (aka same volts/div) in both directions and just having more horizontal than vertical divisions.

But, the thing is that in x/y mode both axis, including the horizontal one, are actually obtained from vertical channel data. And the vertical channel implementation, including the ADC, processing and storage of the data, is probably what limits the horizontal axis. Or, lets say, they couldn't be arsed to do anything special for x/y mode, except using one's channel data instead of the horizontal timebase.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf