Author Topic: Help evaluating a tek 465b  (Read 1475 times)

Offline lem_ixTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Help evaluating a tek 465b
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »
I am considering buying this scope as it has a decent price (110 eur) but I have no experience with these machines and the settings are all over the place. Why am I seeing double traces?

Pics on local ebay clone:
https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/big-photo-51716294-4.htm

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Help evaluating a tek 465b
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:01 pm »
There’s something wrong with that. The buttons to the left hand side of the screen are the channel mode selector. Only one should be pushed down and they all are. Might be the locking bar broken or someone has munted it. It’s difficult to get to those switches to fix as well - whole thing has to be taken to bits. Other than that it looks in good condition.

The two traces should exist. It’s a dual trace scope.

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »
There’s something wrong with that. The buttons to the left hand side of the screen are the channel mode selector. Only one should be pushed down and they all are. Might be the locking bar broken or someone has munted it. It’s difficult to get to those switches to fix as well - whole thing has to be taken to bits. Other than that it looks in good condition.

The two traces should exist. It’s a dual trace scope.

All of the vertical selection buttons can be depressed, perfectly OK.  They are not mutually exclusive.  Since both CH1 and CH2 are pushed in (selected), that's why you're seeing two traces.   The Horizontal UnCal light is one, but that's because the vernier is not in the Cal position - again, normal.  Scope Trigger light is on, again normal because LINE trigger is selected.  The user hasn't focused the trace, or adjust the horizontal position correctly.  Based on one picture - nothing obviously wrong, but it's impossible to tell more than that.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:06:58 pm »
Sorry I was thinking 465 not 465b :).

Well spotted.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:27:00 pm »
Should reiterate, by double I mean the smearing on each of the two channels On one of the pics you can clearly see 4 lines while nothing is connected.

EDIT:

If it was focus wouldn't the smearing still be just one line even if really smeared?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:29:53 pm by lem_ix »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:51:22 pm »
To be more specific

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:03:39 pm »
Surely the vertical switches all be returned to the normal "UP" position and the input switches set to select just one channel and the sweep set to either .1 or .02 mS, set the vertical and horizontal control to midway and select input ground on the input coupling switch. The trace observed at that point, which should be a single line and the focus control used to sharpen the line to its thinnest?

I was always taught that was the basic and safe way to start of a scope and if things go south and you seem have get in a mess, return the controls to that position to check if trace etc is normal?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf