Author Topic: Anyone used a Omega Supermeter DMM?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline GeneralquarkTopic starter

• Contributor
Anyone used a Omega Supermeter DMM?
« on: August 12, 2023, 10:23:38 pm »
Hi,
 I was at work the other day and came across one of these meters. Has anyone ever used one? How would it compare with other name brands like a Fluke, Agilent or Extech meter? I was always looking for a meter that did everything a normal DMM does but incorporates the LCR capability as well.

https://sea.omega.com/sg/pptst/HHM290.html

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Anyone used a Omega Supermeter DMM?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 02:48:27 am »
that looks sick for repairing big things

the separate thermocouple port is a BIG WIN.

Like inverters, welders, and other shit you don't want on your work bench.

Especially when you know you are going to be tied up waiting on replacement parts, so you don't need to relocate too many tools when you stop working for the 4 week delivery times on esoteric and obsolete stuff

I am surprised that meter is not really popular. I wonder what went wrong.. maybe a omega price tag lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 02:51:39 am by coppercone2 »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 03:14:14 am »
Looks like glorified thermometer/pyrometer with a piss-poor multimeter shoveled in. Omega is basically a temperature sensor supplier, so no wonder they are selling a meter where multimeter is an afterthought.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 03:21:39 am »
normal DMM does but incorporates the LCR capability as well.
You get either a true LCR meter or a multimeter with extremely basic implementation of C and no L regardless of how expensive it is. So better spend  $100-150 on LCR meter and forget about such functionality in multimeter.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 04:50:08 am »
Yes, I have a couple of these. It has a "StarTrek" vibe to it with even a laser pointer to define IR sensor area. L and C work fine and I like many large digits. Wavetek DM27XT and Amprobe 37XR-A are other examples of meters incorporating L and C with 1 muH and 1pF resolution. The Supermeter might even have one more digit.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 05:13:39 am »
I bet its geared towards working on furnaces/kilns/dryers/hvac etc.

I can see it being used to measure heater coil impedance (might tell you about how much it warps?), heater stuff, motor caps, windings, bearing temperatures, etc

and also general stuff like rail checking , heat sink checking.

Usually the capacitors will be 5% in the microfarad range.. it seems good enough to tell me if a starter cap is starting to go bad.

I figure this would be popular with roof top HVAC repair guys? you can do a differential temp measurement on two pipes... seems pretty sweet with the right probes, not having to bring even more shit on a roof.

Especially if you have a service contract for a particular machine that you keep more then the usual track of...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 05:20:48 am by coppercone2 »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 05:40:52 am »
With free tripod!

It's probably "jack of all trades", but it doesn't matter because:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 06:13:06 am by Fungus »

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 02:57:50 am »
One of the supermeters was reading wrong DC voltage, but all other functions were correct. It seems it somehow lost voltage calibration, perhaps someone accidentally set it to the calibration mode. For future reference, here is what seems to be the calibration procedure, from trial and error.  The meter is using MAX133 ADC.

Switch internal jumper from middle to lower position (closer to the fuses). Turn on the meter to the desired function. The lower display will show the required level for calibration in ADC counts, like 39000. Not sure if it is possible to change the calibration level, the default for voltage function is 0.39 V, 3.9V, 39 V, 390V and 600V (6000 counts) on the highest range. Switch the range and apply proper voltage. Then press Max/Min, wait for a few seconds and then press it again for longer to get out from the REC mode. Then switch to a different voltage range using the range button and repeat. The annoying part is that one has to calibrate all voltage ranges, otherwise uncalibrated ones will be corrupted. When done, press backlit button, the display will turn off. Turn off the meter and reset the internal jumper to the middle position. Check that all ranges got calibrated. For some reason it took me a few trials to get them all correct.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:19:55 pm by maxwell3e10 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf