Author Topic: Tektronix P6960 compression probe adapters missing spring contacts.  (Read 480 times)

Offline ShadowfireTopic starter

• Contributor
Just sharing the information.
I purchased a pair of Tektronix P6960 spring-tip compression probes on Ebay, which were missing compression spring tips in the probe head.
I got replacements and decided to see if it was even possible to repair the first pair of P6960's (I had no idea how they were constructed and suspected it would be .... difficult).
As it turns out, it is possible, but requires a microscope, fine-pitched low force tweezers, and  patience.
These units don't use your traditional pogo pin/socket in their head.  There are C-shaped springs in the compression head, which are installed such that the tips of the "C" are in the narrow part of the probe head channel (the PCB contacts the "top" of the C while the probe board contacts the "bottom" of the C.
One of the first two P6960's had physical damage on the probe head (honestly looks like someone was pushing down on a knife).  The other one had a single position spring missing.
Using a fine pitched low force set of tweezers (I am sure that if you use the regular variety you will deform these springs, they are THAT small/thin), I was able to extract the C-springs from the ruined head and ultimately position one of them correctly and get it pushed down into the missing probe channel.
I did lose 3 of the springs in the process, however, as they ARE springs and some of them ejected off of the microscope's platform while I was attempting to position and put them into place (never to be seen again).

I haven't actually used the probes yet, but visual inspection of the probe head under a microscope shows that the spring dimensions seem to be exactly the same as the other springs, so its unlikely that I damaged it during insertion.  Care is needed!

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf