Author Topic: Insulation Tester ("Megger") Vici VC60B+: confusion about E and L terminal?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline RK_aus_STopic starter

• Contributor
    • Roman Kuechler
Hello

Like some here, if bought this cheap Chinese Insulation Tester "Vici VC60B+" from AliExpress.

There a controverse manuals available concerning the E and L terminal usage, you can read either:

E: Input terminal for the measuring object.
L: Terminal for connecting to the GND of the measuring object.

or vica-versa:

L: Input terminal for the measuring object.
E: Terminal for connecting to the GND of the measuring object.

When I measure the output ot this two terminals, I can see that L is the positive (+) terminal and E is the negative (-) terminal.
I assume E stands for Earth and L stands for Line(?)
If I use this terminals this way or vica-versa, I wonder if that does not matter at all? Or is important in some cases? Or is important in any case?

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:08:32 am by RK_aus_S »

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
Insulation  is only piece of dielectric material
so polarity is insignificant

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
E stands for Earth.  L stands for Low.  Is there an H for High terminal?

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
Insulation  is only piece of dielectric material
so polarity is insignificant
Depending on the application the polarity can be significant - especailly if you are charging and discharging dielectric.

Normally, insulation testers are used by connecting the positive to earth and the negative to the other end - this may be why the tester is marked as it is. The E terminal could be the positive for connection to earth.

If there is a third terminal then one of these is the Guard terminal used for guarding out surface leakage current.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

The following users thanked this post: RK_aus_S

Offline RK_aus_STopic starter

• Contributor
    • Roman Kuechler
Re: Insulation Tester ("Megger") Vici VC60B+: confusion about E and L terminal?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 08:55:19 am »
Normally, insulation testers are used by connecting the positive to earth and the negative to the other end - this may be why the tester is marked as it is. The E terminal could be the positive for connection to earth.

If there is a third terminal then one of these is the Guard terminal used for guarding out surface leakage current.

Thanks, that seems to be the right answer.
In summary:

E stands for Earth; should be connected (mostly with the red lead) to the Earth/Ground/outer Isolation of the Device/Conductor under Test.
L stands for Line; should be connected (mostly with the black lead) to the Device/Conductor under Test.
G stands for Guard; (if necessary) should be connected (mostly with the blue lead) to the surface between E and L to intercept/shunt out parallel, surface leakage current.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:06:14 am by RK_aus_S »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf