Author Topic: EMC conducted emissions pre-compliance testing with home-made LISN  (Read 30277 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Re: EMC conducted emissions pre-compliance testing with home-made LISN
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 01:41:12 am »
Hi,

I am not sure where your phase limits are coming from. If I analysis the circuit in LTspice:

LTspice gives a phase angle of 84.7o which is pretty close to the 84.18o that you measured.

There is really good correlation between the response predicted by LTspice and the measurements that you made. This indicates that the circuit is 'free' from parasitic components.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:44:15 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline EMC

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 01:54:54 am »
Phase is from the CISPR LISN Spec.   I have seen several LISNs and all are high at 150kHz; I don't know how to lower it.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 02:42:17 am »
Hi,

This circuit matches the impedance curve:

These are the results:

This was achieved by placing a 1 Ohm resistor in the circuit.

The problem is, I can't find a 5uH LISN schematic with the resistor in it.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 03:20:59 am »
Hmm, an FCC Part 15 LISN defines a 5 ohm resistor in series with the bulk capacitor towards the mains side.  Which seems reasonable to me as setting the low frequency line impedance and damping characteristics.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline EMC

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 03:24:11 am »
So they must be providing for the resistance of the inductor.   I guess the easiest solution would be to just live with it.

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 05:15:18 pm »
Here are some pictures of a typical 50/250µH LISN.
Leo
P.S. I meant to post them in line LISN thread but for some reason they have ended up here.  It's journey that matters, not the destination.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:23:05 pm by Leo Bodnar »

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:13 pm »
A 2 dB difference between measurement facilities is actually pretty good.  That's well within normal component and setup tolerance for EMI measurements. 

When performing EMI measurements--particularly those that involve common mode currents--you need to make sure that the power leads between the LISNs and the EUT are of the correct length and height above the GND plane.  The common mode impedance is affected by conductor height, and changing it can easily result in 2+ dB of difference.  The height is probably specified in the standard, but I've never actually read any of the CISPR requirements, so maybe not.  Foam (watch out for ESD) or construction lumber works well for making cheap cable standoffs.

You also twisted the power leads coming from the EUT.  Did the test lab do this as well?  That will alter differential mode impedance.  You typically want your test leads between the LISN and the EUT (pre-LISN leads don't matter as much) to match as closely as possible to the kind of power leads that will be used in application.  If your end user won't use twisted power leads, then you shouldn't test with them twisted.

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 07:34:39 pm »
Is there much to gained (or is that lost) by having the ground plane when doing quick verification tests on bench for pre compliance? I've not bothered, I tend to do a quick scan to make sure it's not obviously going to fail, and make sure I'm a few dB below limits and its always worked out so far. Guess it wouldn't take much effort to put some kind of plane on the bench, maybe a big sheet of pcb would do.
Radiated is harder, I don't bother putting things in the TEM cell until I have a point of reference from a EMC lab, every product gives unique results due to the near field nature of the TEM cell I guess.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »
Is there much to gained (or is that lost) by having the ground plane when doing quick verification tests on bench for pre compliance? I've not bothered, I tend to do a quick scan to make sure it's not obviously going to fail, and make sure I'm a few dB below limits and its always worked out so far. Guess it wouldn't take much effort to put some kind of plane on the bench, maybe a big sheet of pcb would do.
Radiated is harder, I don't bother putting things in the TEM cell until I have a point of reference from a EMC lab, every product gives unique results due to the near field nature of the TEM cell I guess.

If you're trying to do accurate measurements, then yes, you need the plane.  The presence or lack of a reference plane can alter the common mode currents by a quite a bit (or not at all, depending on the source of the current).  Lifting cables above the plane and waving them around can result in changes of over +/-10 dB in emissions (both conducted and radiated).  This is why it's so important to use standardized setups, and is probably the single biggest issue in EMC repeatability.

A few strips of Aluminum foil from the kitchen can work in a pinch, as long as the seams are well connected.  You want to plane to extend beyond the boundary of the EUT+LISN+cables. 

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »
Interesting, will have to do some experiments. +/-10db is a huge difference. I had a product last year that I measured as being a few db below and it failed anyway. I made further improvements and ended up way below on my setup and still only just passing, maybe the ground plane is the difference there. Sounds like I really should find/allocate some space for a better setup.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 08:12:55 pm »
Interesting, will have to do some experiments. +/-10db is a huge difference. I had a product last year that I measured as being a few db below and it failed anyway. I made further improvements and ended up way below on my setup and still only just passing, maybe the ground plane is the difference there. Sounds like I really should find/allocate some space for a better setup.

The setup doesn't have to be permanent--just role some foil out on the bench.  That's obviously not as good as a solid copper plane that weighs 100+ lbs, but it should get you a lot closer.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2023, 12:50:00 am »
Bump for excellent compliance information. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf