Author Topic: Tektronix FCA3100 Counter/Timers vs Keysight/Agilent 53200 series  (Read 3646 times)

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tek refurbished are having a January sale with 35% off the FCA3100 counter and rather than wait for a Aglilent 53230 to turn up on the Keysight ebay store I may be tempted.

From the spec sheet they look a little worse than the Agilent (50 psec vs 20 psec time resolution, 300 MHz vs 350 MHz and so on) but are a bit cheaper.

But are they any good? Does anyone have any practical experience with them? I've found reviews and comments on the Agilent/Keysight model but there doesn't seem to be anything (other than data sheets of course) for the FCA3100. I'm interested in doing time measurements as well as frequency but not high frequency (GHz options).

The big advantage of Tek refurb is they carry the full new warranty of 3 years, at present there is only one rather sad counter on Keysight's ebay store and it only has 30 days warranty anyway.

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
Re: Tektronix FCA3100 Counter/Timers vs Keysight/Agilent 53200 series
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:40:13 pm »
There's at least one member of this group that has a couple of Agilent 53230's, one only a few days old...  oops you missed that one....

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:30:56 pm »
To sort of answer my own question, I see from this Time nuts thread that the FCA3100 is a rebadged Pendulum CNT91 and that Pendulum having been bought out were disbanded. This doesn't inspire any confidence regarding ongoing support and development but since it has been around for quite a few years it should have had most of the bugs removed (perhaps I'm being optimistic).

http://time-nuts.febo.narkive.com/MEMGsAIF/software-for-tektronix-fca3100-counter-aka-pendulum-cnt91

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:35 pm »
Just comparing specs...

On the Tek side: the FCA3100 low frequency inputs can go up to 400MHz in manual trigger mode, gate time can be adjusted down to 20ns, and has a little more flexibility in adjusting the input hysteresis.  Measurements into internal memory can run up to 250,000 samples/s.

The Agilent has better internal timing resolution (as you've stated).  The pulse measurements (with opt 150) is a bit more capable than the standard pulse measurement capability of the FCA.  The Agilent is LXI compatible.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:33:48 am »
Just comparing specs...

On the Tek side: the FCA3100 low frequency inputs can go up to 400MHz in manual trigger mode, gate time can be adjusted down to 20ns, and has a little more flexibility in adjusting the input hysteresis.  Measurements into internal memory can run up to 250,000 samples/s.

The Agilent has better internal timing resolution (as you've stated).  The pulse measurements (with opt 150) is a bit more capable than the standard pulse measurement capability of the FCA.  The Agilent is LXI compatible.
Thank you. One thing that puzzles me though is that while the cnt91 spec sheet states the bandwidth is 400MHz the Tek datasheet lists it at 300MHz, I don't know if this is conservatism on Tek's part or if their version is slightly lower spec.

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 01:46:41 pm »
I would love to hear more comparisons between these two units.These two are pretty much the best frequency counters money can buy,right? What is that pulse measurememt thing about,what its good for? w2aew wrote that Keysight have better pulse measurements,in what way are they better?

Even if you have experience with just one of these,I would like to read your opinion,whats good,what sucks etc

Offline jpbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »
I would love to hear more comparisons between these two units.These two are pretty much the best frequency counters money can buy,right? What is that pulse measurememt thing about,what its good for? w2aew wrote that Keysight have better pulse measurements,in what way are they better?

Even if you have experience with just one of these,I would like to read your opinion,whats good,what sucks etc
I went with the FCA3100 for reasons of cost, it was less than half the price of the top Agilent (now Keysight).
The Keysight has the advantage in single shot resolution of 20psecs as apposed to 50 ps for the 3100/Pendulum 91 so they are better from that point of view.

But the 3100 has some advantages:
1.) On time tagged measurements (according to the manual - I've not yet had a chance to set this up) it tags both the up crossings and the down crossings whilst I think the Keysight only tags the up crossings.
2.) It also is a basic pulse generator which may be useful (I've used it for one or two things).

The noise levels are very similar I think (I haven't looked it up recently but that is what I remember).

If they were the same price I'd say go with the Keysight probably, but given that the FCA3100 is much cheaper (comparing refurbished for Agilent and Tektronix) I'd say it is much better value for money.

I'd say the FCA3100 (50ps) offers some significant extra features over the FCA3000 (100ps), in particular time-tagged measurements, more memory and a number of other options so I'd say it is worth the extra.

I think the pulsed measurements probably refer to pulsed microwave measurements. To do these require quite a few "options" which will probably double the price of the counter. Useful for professionals working with pulsed radar systems, microwave communications and so on but if you need the capability you've probably not be asking the question and will have a very large budget for kit which a Keysight rep will be very happy to help you spend.

The keysight is a much more modern design but the Pendulum CT91 has been around a long time and well established.

Another difference is the FCA3100 is a very deep box, the Keysight is probably a more convenient shape.

EDIT : On the price issue, I notice that the new prices seem to be similar but when I bought mine refurbished the Agilent 53200 were over £3k on the Agilent ebay store without any warranty whilst the FCA3100 was £1.5k refurbished with a 3 year warranty bought from Tektronix via TTi in the UK.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:24:32 pm by jpb »

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:24:46 pm »
What is the advantage of tagging both crossing directions? Tektronix says it have 300 MHz range or 400 MHz with manual trigger mode,I have no idea what that means or if its good or bad thing.I know what is triggering on oscilloscope but cant imagine what kind of triggering is going on inside frequency counter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf