Author Topic: Alternative to DS203 nano  (Read 1734 times)

Offline engineering@njrelectronicTopic starter

Alternative to DS203 nano
« on: August 13, 2016, 06:49:27 pm »
Hi guys,

I have read some posts saying the DS203 nano is to say the least naff (which I at least partly agree with). I can see that it's input circuitry leaves a lot to be desired. It's also, as some have mentioned DC coupled effectively from the inputs to the USB. I also don't like the MCX connectors and think SMA or SMB would have been a better idea.

However is there anything better in the form factor? I have a 350MHz 4 Channel Tektronix for the lab, and need something ideally pocket sized for other purposes. 2 channels would do for most of what I would need it for EG fault finding on serial busses etc (CAN and RS485) and the odd SMPSU.

Any suggestions that don't cost a fortune?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Alternative to DS203 nano
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 07:40:16 pm »
However is there anything better in the form factor? Any suggestions that don't cost a fortune?

In that form factor at that price? AFAIK that's the best there is.

They're actually quite useful, given their physical limitations and price.

Horrible user interface? Yes. Poor bandwidth? Yes. (Only about 5Mhz in reality). Terrible bang per buck compared to (eg.) a DS1054Z? Yes.

They're obviously no substitute for a desktop oscilloscope, but ... they do work and they fit in your pocket and run on batteries. That's worth something.

There's a few gadgets that promise to turn your phone/tablet into an oscilloscope but I don't know anything about them. Maybe you could look there if the DS203 isn't suitable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf