Author Topic: Aim TTi 1908 and Linux  (Read 3565 times)

Offline hiradaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Aim TTi 1908 and Linux
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:11 am »
I need to correct myself again. In an earlier post I have been complaining about the remote output format not being fixed. Again, I just cannot read, that's all. The format IS fixed. When the exponent is negative, it has a single digit with a leading dash (somehow I've read two digits+dash), if it is positive, it is double digit with the first being a zero. Sorry for that!

But I may have found another issue. When doing a relative measurement using the Null function, the meter displays the unnulled reading in the 2nd display. That is very handy, though it would be perfect if one could toggle between the nulled value and the unnulled reading, but that's just luxury.

The issue is, that remotely, you cannot read out that 2nd display, it just outputs "range", which is the default for single display measurements. So while the display does show the actual reading - next to the realtive -, you cannot access it remotely. As long as Null is being used, you remotely just get the relative reading. Not sure if this would not even qualify as a bug.

In addition, it seems one cannot read out the state of the battery remotely. At leat until now I have not found how to do it. If that turns out to be true and not just being a reading issue again, that is a bit of a bummer.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2021, 09:18:56 am »
(..)
Well you're not looking, because I'm looking at two major releases of Debian right now which do not build the USB stack into the kernel. Not that it's at all important to, because it hasn't caused a problem any time in the last decade or so, and they'll fix any such bugs if reported accurately very promptly.

It **MAY** be TRUE...

I have stopped following DEBIAN for some time ..

TBH.. since clever folks realized how bad those pitfalls are...
and  ROLLED THE PROPER DEVUAN  fork..

Perhaps the "debian leaders" realized how  shitty that potterix  can be
and decided to "review" some of those mimics..

perhaps.  TBH i have 0ZERO interest following the potterix distros..

My time is limited and I follow just what matters.

Anyway my advice is simple:
-  IF IT  JUST **WORKS**  than go with it..

if not follow the advices...

Paul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 04:56:45 pm »
And now for something completely different: Positive news.

While my first enquiry about linux compatibility has never been answered, the report about the proposed issue with the 2nd display Null issue has been answered within less than two days - including a fixed firmware file. That again is pretty impressive and sets quite a standard for the competition.

It just took me while to organise a suitable windows machine needed for the update procedure - at the end a hasty setup virtual machine with passed through USB adapter - and to organize a tool small enough to fitting through the tiny hole in the back to being able to press the udate enable button. Other than that, pretty straight forward and painless. 

And now the remote operation for the null function is working as expected as well.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 06:03:24 pm »
That is rather impressive. Well done TTi  :clap:

I've spoken to their support a couple of times via email regarding service information and they've been really good generally but that is exceptional.

I suspect on the Linux front, they just don't have anyone who can deal with it or knows about it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 08:28:54 am »
Some more good news. Not sure wether this was an operation error previously by me or wether it's new, but the VA mode in the 10A range is now working. It is not described in the manual, so in case of an operating error, this time it is not due to my inability to read, but it does work now.

Remotely slight unintuitive, as there is no "VA 10A" command, you first have to select 10A current as 2nd reading before you can select va, but once you know this, it's basically a non issue.
Locally you can do the same, or operate "2nd + range up" while being in VA mode, exactly as with current, that again is described in the manual. I believe having tried this before with va, but would not bet on it.

I'll occasionally update this thread, just in case someone else has interest in this device in a very distant future, or remote galaxy with fast internet, as it generally really is quite a pleasure to work with and still seems to receive support from the vendor.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf