Author Topic: New Instek Scope: GDS-1072A-U  (Read 23867 times)

Offline xyzzyTopic starter

• Contributor
New Instek Scope: GDS-1072A-U
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
For months, I've been trying to decide between the Instek GDS-1062A and the Rigol DS1052E.  I'd been leaning toward the Instek, but hadn't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.  Today, a new model from Instek caught my eye: the GDS-1072A-U.

Compared to the GDS-1062A, the GDS-1072A-U appears to have:
70 MHz bandwidth vs. 60 MHz
5.7" LCD vs. 5.6"
USB host port (for USB flash drives) instead of SD slot
PictBridge support
Measurement "Gating" (allows you to bracket where on the waveform measurements are taken?)
Adjustable probe multiplication factor (0.1X - 2000X)
Observation Delay (configurable time-delay for trigger)
Observation-Expand by Ground/Center (like AC coupling, but better somehow?)
Zoomable FFT
Data logging
Go/No-Go testing

Both models have 1GSa/s sampling rate and 2M point memory.

Sorry for the imprecise descriptions; it's not always easy to translate marketing-speak into engineer-speak.  Hopefully someone with more expertise on DSOs than myself can opine as to the value of those changes.  Full descriptions are here:
http://www.tequipment.net/InstekGDS-1072A-U.html

They also make a 100 MHz and a 150 MHz version.  The prices (from tequipment.net) are as follows:
Instek GDS-1072A-U     70 MHz     $486
Instek GDS-1102A-U   100 MHz     $666
Instek GDS-1152A-U   150 MHz     $841

The 60 MHz Instek GDS-1052A goes for $409.  The 50 MHz Rigol goes for $399, and the 100 MHz Rigol for $795.

In googling around, I found another vendor that has the GDS-1102A-U for only $536:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/instek/oscilloscopes/gds-1102a-u.htm

I'm not familiar with Test Equipment Depot, but I emailed Tequipment.net, and they said they'll pricematch.  100 MHz for $536 may be too good a deal to pass up.

Does anyone have any experience with the new GDS-xxxxA-U scopes?  Has anyone seen what's inside one?  Does anyone see any red flags in the specs or description of the new models?

For the record, I have no affiliation with any of the manufacturers or vendors mentioned above; I'm just an EE looking for a good, cheap scope.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
Re: New Instek Scope: GDS-1072A-U
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »
GW Instek oscilloscopes are typically between OK and good for their price.

Support, however, might be another story as we experienced. At least if you are in Europe.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

alm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »
GW Instek oscilloscopes are typically between OK and good for their price.

Support, however, might be another story as we experienced. At least if you are in Europe.
Keep in mind that the other option is a Rigol ;).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:22:11 pm »
Instek has a good reputation in the US and has a US branch for support and distribution.  It may be different elsewhere.  When I bought a FG from them, it shipped from the factory after I purchased through tequipment.net.

The open-box experience I posted on eevblog some years ago, check the archives.

On the low end, there are discussions and a review of the 1062 vs 1052e in the archives.  For $10 difference from tequipment.net list the Instek is a better deal unmodded.  However, you can deal for the Rigol to as low as $340, and Rigol has a US rep too for tech support and warranty, that is generally OK by reputation.  Other countries Rigol has no rep, and tech support can be iffy, but the authorized sellers will provide some form of warranty.

Above 60 MHz,  and again assuming unmodded the Insteks are better deals by reputation.  Which one all depends truly on the bandwidth you truly need for your work/studies vs the cost. 
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:12:52 am »
GW / Instek have had a good reputation as a maker of reasonable quality test gear for many decades now.
So much so that the Chinese regularly rip-off many GW/Instek models.
I've heard the Instek scope is pretty good, but haven't used it myself.
Being a new model I would expect the performance to be better than the Rigol?, which is actually getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Extra memory is always worth every cent.
Prices sound like quite good value IMO.
It has a limited lifetime warranty.

Dave.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 06:26:32 pm »

Both models have 1GSa/s sampling rate and 2M point memory.

2M for one channel. If 2 channels 1M per channel,

1Gsa/s can use for 2M? Not. It is only slow speed memory.
But try find this info from  China made GW.
Why it is so difficult to tell real samplerates?
Nothing in datasheet, nothing in manual.
(only undirect story in user manual what tell that 2M or 1M  wafeform can not store with some fastest t/div settings.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:07:47 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Ronnie

• Regular Contributor
  • Stimulating your Ears
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »
For months, I've been trying to decide between the Instek GDS-1062A and the Rigol DS1052E.  I'd been leaning toward the Instek, but hadn't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet.  Today, a new model from Instek caught my eye: the GDS-1072A-U.
So what is your take after more than a month?   ???

Offline DonRon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »
For months, I've been trying to decide between the Instek GDS-1062A and the Rigol DS1052E. ...

Me too (GDS-1152A-U or Rigo DS1102E or hacked DS1052E???)
So also would appreciate some statements. In Germany  I can find the Rigol DS1102E for around 500 Euro's and there are several dealers which offer the Rigol's. The GDS-1152A-U will cost me 2 times more (and seems that Distrelec is the only dealer, Farnell offers only the older model; only very few dealers offer that GW Instek scopes in Germany) ... is it worth that extra money?
...okay .. having in mind, that it might be better to have 150 MHz bandwith when looking for waveforms up to 50 MHz ...
But regardless of that ... will the GW Instek be the better buy?

Ronald

Offline adicon

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:09 am »
I am in the same situation as xyzzy. My problem is the absence of the menu button from Instek. It seems that it continuosly displays the menu bar.Am I right?

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »
Hi all!  I've been lurking here for a while now and this is one of the most informative communities on the www in my opinion.  With that out of the way, here we go.

Anyone have any recent experience with these yet?  I'm in the market for my 1st scope and I can't seem to make my mind up!  I've been following the forums for some time and I was pretty much all set on the Rigols as $400 for 100Mhz DSO seemed like a sweet deal, especially with the pretty favorable reviews from users here as well as our host himself.  Then I stumbled over the newer Instek GDS1000 A-U series and on paper, it seems like a better buy.  I would probably spring for the 100Mhz version of it as well.  The spec sheets would say it's a no brainer.  Here are my concerns.  I realize this isn't a high end, cream of the crop DSO.  Still, $500 is a chunk of money, at least for me.  Instek seams to have a pretty good reputation but I do expect purchases like this to last a few years, at the least.  Google really hasn't turned up much for me on these new scopes (reviews, problems, etc) which can be a good sign, or a bad one.  There doesn't seem to be much on the "A" series the "A-U" replaces either.  And finally, Instek doesn't seem to support the community here and that does leave a sour taste in my mouth.  I would much rather spend my money with people who help make this great community possible.  I would buy it from Tequipment, which would be a supporter, but that's not exactly the same.  I can't really justify the cost of the Agilent scopes as a 1st time hobby, testing the waters type of thing, my wife would shoot me! 

Thanks for any and all comments.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
Some ntries on this scope on eevblog:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/suggestions/instek-gds-1102a-series-reviewteardown/msg1419/#msg1419

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/instek-gds-1102a-u-oscilloscope/msg82710/#msg82710

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/instek-gds-1102a-oscilloscope/msg55035/#msg55035

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/instek-gds-1102a-firmware/msg64824/#msg64824

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/best-digital-oscilloscope-below-$500/msg86727/#msg86727

Several threads have new buyers, you can try PM them fresh impressions.

You may want to review problems posted on eevblog with the Rigol, since there have been some annoyance in new productions, so I would buy it from a reputable dealer to insure its returnable/exchangable.  The Instek has better quality control and in the US, a branch office, to give you support but you'll pay at least $100 more for that.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:36:57 pm »
Thanks saturation. I had gone through most of the threads you posted, still much appreciated.  I'm hoping to find someone with experience with different brands, models etc.  Manufacturer "support" doesn't mean what it used to, more of a sad joke these days so that's negligible.  The tiny amount of discussion about them does make me wonder though. Are people not buying them or just not having many problems?

I'm stuck trying to decide if the extra memory is worth an extra $100 and an effectively smaller screen...

Offline gxti

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 02:40:17 am »
I've had a GDS-1062A for over 9 months now. Everyone's already hashed over the feature set, so I'll just add that it's performed quite well in that time. No problems significant enough that I can recall them now.

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:55 pm »
Thanks for the update. 

Offline dleemiller

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 12:57:19 am »
I've also been looking heavily at buying this scope recently. I saw a post (I think on this forum) that compared the actual hardware inside the box. I guess Rigol uses 500 MSPS ADCs and overclocks them to 1 GSPS. The Instek uses more expensive ADCs that normally run at 1 GSPS. I think there was also a difference in the FPGA as well. Maybe someone else can also confirm this? I think you're paying for better components with the Instek. Also, I've seen the 1072A-U for $399, so you're only paying 40 or 50 more than the Rigol.

I'm already sold on the Instek as being the best bang for the buck. I just need to pull the trigger and buy it.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 01:09:05 pm »
Instek is definitely better made and more reputable, but if you are using price alone as a gauge, know that some authorized dealers like tequipment.net will bargain on a price, if you ask them from the chat.   When I bought mine back in 2010, the sell price was $400 for the 1052e, but I got them down to ~ $360 delivered.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline WBB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 03:31:24 pm »
I just got one last week.  I am in no way qualified to actually review the thing (my first scope).  I can say that it seems fairly well built, not toyish at all.  All the buttons and knobs seem pretty decent, the power switch feels like a real mains switch.  The slide switch on the probes is annoyingly easy to move, but that may be common among probes.  The fan is audible, but nothing excessive, at least for me. 

Sorry for my limited experience.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:45 pm »
I've also been looking heavily at buying this scope recently. I saw a post (I think on this forum) that compared the actual hardware inside the box. I guess Rigol uses 500 MSPS ADCs and overclocks them to 1 GSPS. The Instek uses more expensive ADCs that normally run at 1 GSPS. I think there was also a difference in the FPGA as well. Maybe someone else can also confirm this? I think you're paying for better components with the Instek. Also, I've seen the 1072A-U for $399, so you're only paying 40 or 50 more than the Rigol.

I'm already sold on the Instek as being the best bang for the buck. I just need to pull the trigger and buy it.

Not that Rigol is junk, but I agree with you. I have also come to the conclusion that you will probably have a better built machine if you buy Instek.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf