Author Topic: Siglent SDG2042x Waveform Gen- Can't decide  (Read 893 times)

Offline Conrad HoffmanTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Siglent SDG2042x Waveform Gen- Can't decide
« on: October 05, 2024, 04:52:54 pm »
So I'm thinking about the 2042x for general bench use. It would be replacing an elderly Wavetek 185 5 MHz unit. I want the 2000 series because it's 16-bit, though I don't know how much it matters vs. the 14-bit 1000 series. What perplexes me is that the specifications for the other waveforms are all the same and it's only the sine wave max freq that changes as you spend more money. I also don't understand why the THD in the audio band is as high as it is (0.075%) on a 16-bit system, unless the output amp is really lousy. Finally, the square wave is faster on the cheaper 1062x, which makes no sense to me.

It would be great if anybody could tell me how the specs tie together and that this stuff actually makes sense from a design standpoint. Give me a push to either buy it or think about something else.

I really want to keep the price under $650 and I have other generators for RF.

Offline modoran

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG2042x Waveform Gen- Can't decide
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 05:58:03 pm »
1062x has dedicated circuitry for square wave, 2000x does not.

The following users thanked this post: Conrad Hoffman

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2024, 06:20:57 pm »
I have the SDG2042X, and it's great. As stated, the 1000X series has dedicated hardware for square waves, but it falls short everywhere else in comparison.

I would suggest waiting a little longer and seeing what Siglent releases for new AWGs before you buy anything. They have new stuff coming out with improved features, and web consoles too, which I would love to have in my AWG.

The other thing is that you won't get low distortion class A performance from an AWG. Even expensive ones. There's discussion on this if you search for it.

If you need an audio analyzer, you should get an audio analyzer like the QA403, which I would buy if I really needed it.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2024, 06:51:52 pm »
I have the SDG2042X, and it's great. As stated, the 1000X series has dedicated hardware for square waves, but it falls short everywhere else in comparison.

I would suggest waiting a little longer and seeing what Siglent releases for new AWGs before you buy anything. They have new stuff coming out with improved features, and web consoles too, which I would love to have in my AWG.
AFAIK only a new SDG1000X Plus is coming and I played with one at HQ.
It is upgraded to 16bit and a webserver is now incorporated along with some additional fruits.
https://www.siglent.com/products-overview/sdg1000xp/ (HQ website)

Indicative release date is late 2024.

Attached pic shows one to the right of the new bench meter.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2024, 06:54:55 pm »

It is upgraded to 16bit and a webserver is now incorporated along with some additional fruits.
https://www.siglent.com/products-overview/sdg1000xp/ (HQ website)

Indicative release date is late 2024.

Attached pic shows one to the right of the new bench meter.

Does it still have dedicated square wave hardware? If so, sounds like an awesome choice for OP. I'm guessing it will be in their budget too.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2024, 07:39:02 pm »
1000x Plus looks pretty good and we don't have much of 2024 left so it should be available soon, especially since the Chinese versions of the manuals are online. No problem waiting a bit.
Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: tautech, KungFuJosh

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2024, 10:38:38 pm »
Lets hope the fruits are ripe and dont have any bugs in them.  ;D
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2024, 10:43:12 pm »
Lets hope the fruits are ripe and dont have any bugs in them.  ;D

You'll be shocked to know that new products often have bugs. What the manufacturer does about them is what matters. Siglent's record on that is excellent. But I think you already know that. 😉

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2024, 09:19:04 am »
1000x Plus looks pretty good and we don't have much of 2024 left so it should be available soon, especially since the Chinese versions of the manuals are online. No problem waiting a bit.
Thanks!

Don't miss the fact that 2042X highest output frequency is 120 MHz(sinus), double the 1000X Plus(60MHz). 

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2024, 09:47:55 am »
You'll be shocked to know that new products often have bugs. What the manufacturer does about them is what matters. Siglent's record on that is excellent. But I think you already know that. 😉
Indeed, i should not expect a new product to be flawless.

About the word "excellent" could be argued. At least something is happening.  ::)
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2024, 06:28:09 pm »
About the word "excellent" could be argued. At least something is happening::)

And compared to some brands, that's already excellent. 😉

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2024, 06:29:09 pm »
Don't miss the fact that 2042X highest output frequency is 120 MHz(sinus), double the 1000X Plus(60MHz).

True, but if bandwidth was a big deciding factor, this thread probably wouldn't have been started. 😉

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2024, 07:55:46 pm »
When I need more BW I go to my HP 8640B (512 MHz), HP 3200B (1 GHz with doubling coupler) or an old Heathkit! For normal benchwork I don't realistically need more than maybe 10 MHz, though more is always better if it doesn't break the bank.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2024, 09:51:33 pm »
When I need more BW I go to my HP 8640B (512 MHz), HP 3200B (1 GHz with doubling coupler) or an old Heathkit! For normal benchwork I don't realistically need more than maybe 10 MHz, though more is always better if it doesn't break the bank.
Then why would you buy an inferior class device over a superior one (class set by the manufacturer) while the price are so close that isn't an advantage?
Even you will not see clearly (on the oscilloscope) the difference of 16 bit over 14 bit, having a slightly more capable device worth that money difference.
1000X Plus is a great improvement over 1000X but not over 2000X.
2000X is still the best AWG on the market at his price AFAIK.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2024, 10:22:04 pm »

Considering his use case is generally 10MHz or below for this... What benefit does the 2000X have over the 1000X Plus? Both are 16 bit, and I'm assuming the 1000X Plus still has superior dedicated hardware for square waves (hopefully that is the case). Also the remote control features, which I wish my 2000X had. If the price is also still cheaper than the 2000X, then there's not much of a competition for his use case.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2024, 10:41:44 pm »

Considering his use case is generally 10MHz or below for this... What benefit does the 2000X have over the 1000X Plus? Both are 16 bit, and I'm assuming the 1000X Plus still has superior dedicated hardware for square waves (hopefully that is the case). Also the remote control features, which I wish my 2000X had. If the price is also still cheaper than the 2000X, then there's not much of a competition for his use case.

1000xPlus is more like 2000x lite...

From what I can see, risetime is in range of 10ns.
So current 1000x has faster risetimes for pulse.

1000XPlus has many other things though.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2024, 11:20:26 pm »
1000xPlus is more like 2000x lite...

From what I can see, risetime is in range of 10ns.
So current 1000x has faster risetimes for pulse.

1000XPlus has many other things though.

It would be nice if they were able to add a web server to the 2000X. Hint hint. 😉

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline 44kgk1lkf6u

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2024, 12:32:33 am »

Does the new version have a better knob?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2024, 12:40:04 am »

Knob and encoder felt the same yet no matter what I tried it performed perfectly.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2024, 05:43:21 pm »

Knob and encoder felt the same yet no matter what I tried it performed perfectly.

His question implied, that the old one had a bad knob, and you said it perfomes the same, and in the same sentence you said it works perfect. That is quite funny.  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 05:46:57 pm by eTobey »

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2024, 06:11:39 pm »

His question implied, that the old one had a bad knob, and you said it perfomes the same, and in the same sentence you said it works perfect. That is quite funny.  :-DD

No, he said it felt the same, but performed perfectly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf