Author Topic: Agilent PNA E835xA with 85092 ECal, Problems  (Read 273 times)

TheSteve and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Agilent PNA E835xA with 85092 ECal, Problems
« on: Yesterday at 01:29:38 am »
Posted on groups.io as well but thought I may have better luck on EEVBLOG.

The Agilent 85092-60007 3.5mm, 2-port, 30k-9GHz ECal has a USB port marked "USE WITH PNA SERIES".    My Agilent E8367A PNA has the 9GHz option enabled.  When I connect the ECal to the PNA (via USB),  the OS detects the device.  Looking under Device Manager,  it lists "Agilent USB ECal Module".  Driver Details shows e-TEK Labs version 1.2.0.0, Agecalv1.sys   The ECal's Green LED eventually turns on solid.

Selecting the calibration wizard and ecal, it displays "An ECal module was not found.  Please be sure the ECal module is connected properly.  (You may need to disconnect and re-connect the USB cable)"

I tried two different known good cables, plugging into the front USB port.  I have a powered hub plugged into the rear that has the mouse and keyboard attached.  I tried connecting the ECal to that as well.  In all cases, the OS finds the devices but the PNA fails to locate it.

From the small clues Agilent provided, it seemed there was an A,B & C revision.  A was sold by HP and did not appear to support USB.   Looking at photos for the B & C, they do not appear to be marked.   This particular one has no revision markings as well.   The latest manual I have for the PNA calls for the 85092C.  Looking at an older document, it appears they supported the revision B as well:
http://www.av.it.pt/Medidas/Data/Manuais%20&%20Tutoriais/11-%20PNA%20NetWork%20Analyser/CD1/technical_specifications.pdf

Looking on the PNA's disk, there was a directory that was marked Ecal Drivers.   Inside there were two directories for Floppy#1&2.   I had installed the PNA software  using VirtualBox.  I installed these two disks (HP ECal 01.008).  Looking at the help file, it looks like they were used to setup a PC that would sit between the VNA and ECal to control it (see attached).   This was maybe some work around for customers trying to run old ECal units. 

Any ideas on how to determine the revision of the 85092 ECal?  Are both the C&B revisions are compatible with this PNA?  Any thoughts on what it would take to get it working?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Agilent PNA E835xA with 85092 ECal, Problems
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:09:09 am »
Is a FW update available for your E8367A ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:15:45 am »
I upgraded the PNA to the latest possible version when I purchased it.   Outside of adding the license to enable the 9GHz option, alignment, replacing the old drive with an SSD and a few repairs, the system is basically factory stock. 

With VirtualBox, I setup a USB device filter.  Device Monitoring Studio looks like it could trace it if Agilent has some way to control it. 

Running the virtual PNA, it see the new device and the OS installs the driver for it.   I then tried the software from the two ECal floppy disks but there is no activity.   I am not aware of any other software outside of the main PNA program that would talk to it over USB.   

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 06:52:26 pm »
Being it says use with PNA it is hard to believe it wouldn't be supported. The green LED indicates the unit has warmed up to operating temperature. It also loads the driver which means it can see it.
When you select the calibration wizard what frequency range do you have selected? The full span of the PNA is probably greater than the ECAL range at the low end. There is a slim chance it won't show it if the frequency range you have selected is wider than the ECAL range.

Worst case you could use the parallel interface if you have the adapter box. I used one years ago with the 8753 series.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:50:20 pm »
The ECal is rated for 30k to 9G.  PNA's range is 300k to 9GHz.  I did try 10M to 100M which had no effect. 

The PNA manuals I have make no mention of using the parallel cable, only the USB.  When selecting the wizard/ecal, it shows its attempting to use the USB port.    I wonder if their software would even control a parallel version. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:46:51 pm »
Razvan Popescu
4:51am   #145929 

I think the PNA firmware is looking for a specific USB Vendor ID and USB
Product ID. If it cannot find the exact match it will say no ECal connected.

Try to find the .INF file for the driver in the Windows directory and
check the USB IDs inside to have an idea what it matches and maybe you
can see any comments there which one is A/B/C.

Device manager reports:
VID:  0957
PID: 0001\00186

I don't see where their PNA software defines what was required.  Wasn't able to locate an INF file with any clues, and have not found anything in the registry.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf