Author Topic: Youtube video for HM8118 LCR meter?  (Read 706 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Youtube video for HM8118 LCR meter?
« on: May 09, 2024, 06:27:27 pm »
Hi,

Any decent guides to HM8118 (Hameg)..just need to measure some SMPS transformer leakage inductances, and pri and sec inductance.

i only found this
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 06:52:00 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
Re: Youtube video for HM8118 LCR meter?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 07:10:39 pm »
Transfomer measurement is described in chapter "8.3  4-wire Transformer Test Lead R&S®HZ186" of the manual. The manual may have multiple languages, just look for your preferred one.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 07:50:31 pm »
I have videos on how to do this (leakage, primary, and secondary inductance) with the HM8118's successor, the LCX.  The interface on the LCX is somewhat different, but the concepts are the same:

(the parts you might be interested in start at 7:33)

And another one by our LCR meter product manager

If you prefer reading to videos, the same material is in an educational note I wrote:

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/applications/understanding-transformer-testing-educational-note_230850-1471874.html

« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 07:53:07 pm by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 12:41:34 pm »
Thanks, at 24:21 of this Hameg HM8118 LCR meter video, the Device wrongly selects parallel mode and gives totally the wrong inductance measurement

Surely most capacitor and inductor readings would be in series mode.....so why did it default to parallel mode.?

Also, at 11:50 of the video, he measures the test voltage which is set to 1V....i would think this would be a good thing for us to do  as a cheap way to see if the LCR meter is calibrated?....we will also measure the frequency of this test voltage and check it corresponds to what was set.
___----__---___---___
Hi, At 8:51 of this video, they show measuring the primary inductance of a transformer with the LCX-Z5 test fixture....

...However they do not show how to do a suitable open/short calibration method  prior to this. Is it OK to connect the H leads together and L leads together to do the open calibration?...and then all of them shorted together to do the short circuit calibration?......i ask, because the open/short calibration prior to transformer measurements, shown at 02:40 of the video, does not do it like this.

Also, if you have the LCX-Z5 , but are using it with the Hameg HM8118, then can you simply use the LCX-Z5 to measure inductances, by  pressing the "L-R" button? (ie not the "M"  or "N" buttons)

____________----------------
Also, regarding the Hameg HZ186 transformer test fixture, the open/short calibration is described on page 62 of the following.....
https://scdn.rohde-schwarz.com/ur/pws/dl_downloads/dl_common_library/dl_manuals/gb_1/h/hm8118_1/HM8118_UserManual_de_en_06.pdf

However, 2:20 of this video....

.....shows the open/short calibration being very different for the LCX-Z5, which is equivalent to the HZ186. Do you know the reason for the difference?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 03:47:42 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf