Author Topic: Agilent MSO-X 2014A Continuously Restarts :(  (Read 5785 times)

Offline HugoneusTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Signal Path Video Blog
Agilent MSO-X 2014A Continuously Restarts :(
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:22:10 am »
Hi everyone,

I have an Agilent MSO-X which continuously restarts. The unit powers on and gets to the point where the splash screen of the Agilent image comes up. At that point it restarts and the cycle continues.

The power supply is Ok. I have left it on for a long time and tried various key combinations to get it to go into a mode where perhaps I can flash the memory again. But no luck.

Does anyone know how to deal with this? I would appreciate any idea!  :-BROKE

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Agilent MSO-X 2014A Continuously Restarts :(
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:18:22 am »
Did you or somebody else try to h*ck it or to try to install a new firmware version?

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:34 pm »
I don't have any info on what exactly was the problem but we've had three 2000x (out of 22) at the uni that were sent away for service during warranty that did not start correctly. One after 1 year, the other two after two years. One simply had a black screen, one would not finish booting but intermittently, one with failed device start-up routine. A technician suggested to try re-installing firmware.

The repair/service notes unfortunately never say what the issue was. Extremely nice full ANSI calibration with uncertainties for free though!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 01:58:53 pm »
Thanks. Unfortuntely this unit never gets to a point to allow for the firmware to be installed again. I was hoping there is a way to put it into some "protected" startup mode...

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:18:03 pm »
The consequences of selling computers with instruments attached, rather than instruments. :|

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:52 pm »
Thanks. Unfortuntely this unit never gets to a point to allow for the firmware to be installed again. I was hoping there is a way to put it into some "protected" startup mode...
Stupid question perhaps but did you read the maintenance manual? This is most certainly on Keysight's website.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:14 pm »
I didn't find any information in the service manual nor the service notes. It seems to instruct to hand the instrument off to a service tech / simply replace modules that fail.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:09:19 pm »
Thank you all.

Unfortunately the unit is out of warranty and it would cost more to fix it than the unit is worth...

Either way, if someone knows how to flash the bios of this thing from startup, please let me know!

Online kilobyte

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:19:39 pm »
Maybe you can test if uboot is running by hook up an USB serial converter to the uart port
See Frank Buss post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg260895/#msg260895

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:03:34 pm »
Maybe you can test if uboot is running by hook up an USB serial converter to the uart port
See Frank Buss post here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg260895/#msg260895

Excellent! Thank you. I will do this tonight! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf