Author Topic: Current logging  (Read 1885 times)

Offline SeyarTopic starter

Current logging
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:29:22 pm »
Hallo it is my first post to this community. Therefore first I would like to thank everybody who share their knowledge to help others. :clap: I am second year student of electrical engineering and I love to help others but now I need your help.

My problem is that I want to measure current of one circuit for one whole day. So I think that I need a current logger. I have fluk 45, normaal should I can logging the current with that device, like in this link https://www.flickr.com/photos/linux-works/6836666508/in/photostream/
But I can't, I have male usb/db9 so i just connect Rx of fluke to Tx of usb/db9 and Tx to Rx, GND to GND and once i tried DTR to pin 1 and 6 and other time with out DTR. I thought that it should work but I can't communicate with fluke (fluke RS-232 have just 4 pin. GMD,DTR,Tx and Rx). I tried servel software for it like (putty, hyper terminal and RS232 data logger) but none of them worked :-//. So i contact the fluke for support but they gave me advice to buy their software, but for student it is very expensive :-\ and i am sure that someone can solve this problem. ;)
So can you please gave me advice how to connect my fluke 45 to computer? Of is their any other way to logging the current of circuit for one whole day?
I am doing this to find how much current does this circuit wil need for one day.
Thank you

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Current logging
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:50:20 pm »
Seems like it should have worked.  Do you know if your USB to RS-232 adaptor works?
If so, you need a null modem adaptor.
For RS-232C DB-9:
2-3
3-2
4-6
6-4
5-5
Note: 7-8 and 8-7 are also wired on a null modem adapter.  I'd ignore 1 and 9.
(Note: I know that pin 6 isn't wired on the Fluke 45.)

If I had a task like yours, I would set the Fluke 45 to print over the RS-232 bus, and capture the data with a terminal program.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf