Author Topic: agilent dsox2024a probe recommendations  (Read 649 times)

Offline lamikrTopic starter

agilent dsox2024a probe recommendations
« on: May 08, 2024, 09:47:16 am »
I bought the Agilent's dso x 2024a oscilloscope and would need some recommendations for probes. It's a 4 channel/200mHZ model and I do not have any probes for it at the moment. According to Dave's EEVblog #143 review, this scope has originally relased with 4 300mHZ N2863B passive probes.
According to keysight, that probe is now obsolete but some are available on ebay. Would you go with this probe or something else? Not sure for example whether there exist 3rd party probes? Or possibility to use other vendor probes with some bnc adapter?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: agilent dsox2024a probe recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 10:43:15 am »
I bought the Agilent's dso x 2024a oscilloscope and would need some recommendations for probes. It's a 4 channel/200mHZ model and I do not have any probes for it at the moment. According to Dave's EEVblog #143 review, this scope has originally relased with 4 300mHZ N2863B passive probes.
According to keysight, that probe is now obsolete but some are available on ebay. Would you go with this probe or something else? Not sure for example whether there exist 3rd party probes? Or possibility to use other vendor probes with some bnc adapter?

On scope front panel next to BNC there is specification in form of 1MΩ // 14pF.
OTOH, the probes in their specifications specify "compensation range".

If probe has capacitance of your scope in compensation range", you will be able to compensate probe and be able to use it with your scope. It can be noname, Rigol, Siglent, Testec, Hantek, Owon, no matter.

There will be differences in quality, type and number of accessories of course.

Usually even inexpensive probes will work well enough..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 01:07:43 pm by 2N3055 »

Online AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 01:00:30 pm »
Keysight N2843A is the current 500 MHz model, and should be directly compatible. I've been replacing my N2890A probes with them as and when they've worn out.

Personally I wouldn't buy used probes, you don't know how they've been handled or how much use they've had, and they don't last forever.

Offline Aiy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 04:44:17 pm »
Hi there,
I use Tektronix TPS0201's with mine. P2220 and TPP0200 are also alternatives.
Usually available at reasonable prices new or old stock from many sources.
I really like the tek probes that "lock" with a satisfying click when you put on the the probe hook tips.

Best regards,

Offline lamikrTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 05:19:31 pm »
Keysight N2843A is the current 500 MHz model, and should be directly compatible. I've been replacing my N2890A probes with them as and when they've worn out.

Personally I wouldn't buy used probes, you don't know how they've been handled or how much use they've had, and they don't last forever.

Yes, I think you are right about used ones, unless they come from some test company.  This agilent scope is for my personal/home use and for that the N2843A is quite pricey. I think I will try to find some cheaper 100-300mHZ options.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf