Author Topic: Agilent 2000x Serial function LED does not light  (Read 3058 times)

Offline KD0RCTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent 2000x Serial function LED does not light
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:31:45 pm »
I am getting along very well with my new Agilent DSOX 2022A, but I noticed that when I do serial decode, the little LED next to the Serial button does not light up when I press the button (FW Version 2.36).  Digital, Math and Ref all light appropriately.  The LED is functional, because it lights up during the scope boot-up process and also lights up correctly during the front panel LED test process.  I assume that this is just a minor firmware error, but wanted to see if others see the same thing, and wonder if those on v 2.35 and earlier see it as well.

Offline georgd

• Regular Contributor
Re: Agilent 2000x Serial function LED does not light
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:21:54 pm »
On my DSOX3032 also does not lit serial LED!
FW is 2.36 downgraded to 2.35.

Georg

Offline FFFF00

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »
I was confused by this at first. How I see it the LEDs next to those buttons lights up when the knobs are active for a certain function. The serial decode doesn't use the knobs so the LED never lights.

This is also why even if you are using the digital, math, and ref functions at the same time there will only be one LED turned on, the one where the controls are currently active. At least this is how it works on the DSOX 3000 scopes with firmware v2.36.

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:23:42 pm »
I noticed that too on an X3104.  I asked Agilent about it and they said the lights indicate when the position and scale knobs to the right are active.

The serial decode traces are fixed in position and the knobs don't do anything, hence the serial light never comes on.

Not very obvious, IMO, but it's purely cosmetic.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »
I was confused by this at first. How I see it the LEDs next to those buttons lights up when the knobs are active for a certain function. The serial decode doesn't use the knobs so the LED never lights.

This is also why even if you are using the digital, math, and ref functions at the same time there will only be one LED turned on, the one where the controls are currently active. At least this is how it works on the DSOX 3000 scopes with firmware v2.36.

Makes sense - that is probably the answer.  I fooled around with it and you are right - only the one with the active control is lit.

I think it shows the design process.  The light for the active function is initially designed in, then as the FW evolves, the decision is made to only light it for the function with an active control.  Might need a new term here; perhaps 'Vestigial LED'.   ;D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 05:36:32 pm »
I noticed that too on an X3104.  I asked Agilent about it and they said the lights indicate when the position and scale knobs to the right are active.

The serial decode traces are fixed in position and the knobs don't do anything, hence the serial light never comes on.

Not very obvious, IMO, but it's purely cosmetic.
Thanks for the corroboration of FFFF00's response.  I agree, it has no operational affect on the instrument at all.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 05:46:06 pm »
At my DSOX2002A the Serial LED also does not glow. This is normal.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »
Confirmed on my MSO-X3054A too. Personally I think it's stranger that the serial decode display can't be moved, than that the LED doesn't come on.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf