Author Topic: Advice on ESR meter, I've seen all chinese stuff on ebay..  (Read 37527 times)

Offline dssenceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Advice on ESR meter, I've seen all chinese stuff on ebay..
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:52:21 pm »
Hi guys well basically I'm trying to find a good ESR meter that will help me out to diagnose failing electrolitic. Cause the bulged tops which happened commmonly was the main cause you could see physically. But when they do seem fine.. you have no other way of testing rather with an ESR meter in circuit.
  So what's the best device for ESR test in circuit I've seen the BLUE ESR which all people say it's top notch and works for inductors and coils as well , would be good some device for checking coils and inductors as I dont have one. I do have a couple of multimeters but normal ones.

This is the link I got for the Blue ESR which explains how to use it .. and seems pretty straight forward
 http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/esrmeter.html

Now what about this

I believe if the ESR value can change for cap that have the value of .1 uf and above, it could also change for the cap that have the value below .1 uf! I

There aren't still any ESR meters which can measure ESR on caps below 0.1 uf ?

Now all the links from chinese on ebay.

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Capacitor-ESR-Tester-IN-Circuit-Capacitance-Meter-Milliohmmeter-/251297439702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a827e9fd6

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-ESR-Meter-Test-In-Circuit-electrolyte-Capacitor-Resistance-0-01-30-Ohm-/221277235859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338526aa93

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-ESR-Meter-Test-In-Circuit-Electrolyte-Capacitor-Resistance-0-01-30-Ohm-/261350478205?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9b3d17d

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESR-100-AutoRanging-In-Circuit-ESR-Capacitor-Low-Ohm-Meter-Up-to-0-01-to-100R-/360865491645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5405426abd

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Advice on ESR meter, I've seen all chinese stuff on ebay..
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:02:13 pm »
here on my repository you can see almost all available esr meters, for DIY or buy
there are some nice one that are made by eevblog members

http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html

if you have the money, get a DER EE 5000 LCR meter (that has an esr meter) for some $90 it's a real bargain.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:09:18 pm »
here on my repository you can see almost all available esr meters, for DIY or buy
there are some nice one that are made by eevblog members

http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html

if you have the money, get a DER EE 5000 LCR meter (that has an esr meter) for some $90 it's a real bargain.

Hi thanks so much for your quick response, never heard about the DER but seems ships directly from japan should be quality made.
   don't see many specs.. what's the lowest capacitnace you can check ESR on this meter.  If you had to buy any other proffesional grade a couple lees bucks . This one you said I can measure coils and inductors as well right.
   You know why I just came up to ESR ?. cause my actual samsung Un46d7000. Every now and then started to have a symptom when electricty went off.. and I had to turn on, then started to turn off clicking (relay) .. and then came on.. now today electricity went off.. and started doing that weird syptom turned off - on .. and then it clicked but backlight didn't come on.. so I'm assuming the power supply went bad. I checked electrolitic caps for bulging but all seem fine.. most of them are rubycom and samyoung.  One of the sam young is rated 24v x 1000uf measured it on my meter and threw 1700uf the only one with that high reading. Could this one be affecting the whole supply.
   I did already check some mosfets.. but they seem to switch ok..
   Seems to me the inverter board it's not firing.

It's this same one this guys posted in this thread

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25207

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:10:31 pm »
These amateurish "ESR meters" don't measure ESR, but rather impedance. That's why they can't measure the ESR of small capacitances - they can't distuinguish between reactance and resistance.

The DE 5000 is a much better choice and will measure true ESR, even for small caps. Also, it will tell you the dissipation factor, which is a much better indicator of capacitor health than ESR.
for(;;);

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »
These amateurish "ESR meters" don't measure ESR, but rather impedance. That's why they can't measure the ESR of small capacitances - they can't distuinguish between reactance and resistance.

The DE 5000 is a much better choice and will measure true ESR, even for small caps. Also, it will tell you the dissipation factor, which is a much better indicator of capacitor health than ESR.

Hi thanks so much ! is it pretty common for a TV power supply led tv to be faulty even with caps not reaching to a physical damage like bulging ?
  It's a samsung led tv and i was thinking it could be something else cause the caps don't show any signs of damage.

Once I get the DER , how am I supposed to check what's the acceptable ESR value for a specific cap. I've seen those chinese esr meters have a table with uf and ESR. How does this work? I would have to download the datasheet of the cap manufacturer?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:25:06 pm by dssence »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:31:21 pm »
don't see many specs.. what's the lowest capacitnace you can check ESR on this meter.  If you had to buy any other proffesional grade a couple lees bucks . This one you said I can measure coils and inductors as well right.

again on my repository the details and links for the deree 5000 : http://kripton2035.free.fr/LCR%20meters/lcr-deree5000-cl.html

Once I get the DER , how am I supposed to check what's the acceptable ESR value for a specific cap. I've seen those chinese esr meters have a table with uf and ESR. How does this work? I would have to download the datasheet of the cap manufacturer?

compare with a similar capacitor you have with same voltage and capacity
or yes verify with the manufacturer datasheet is also a way to go.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Re: Advice on ESR meter, I've seen all chinese stuff on ebay..
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »

Hi thanks so much ! is it pretty common for a TV power supply led tv to be faulty even with caps not reaching to a physical damage like bulging ?
  It's a samsung led tv and i was thinking it could be something else cause the caps don't show any signs of damage.

It's not the most common way but it's not uncommon either.  You would get the esr from the datasheet. It often will tell you the frequency to measure it at etc. Also mos brings up a good point. Dissipation factor is a better measure because it tells you the amount of energy being lost in the capacitor.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 05:59:21 pm »
Can the DER EE 5000 LCR be used in-circuit? I looked at its specs, but didn't find any statement regarding this.

I have a version of the Bob Parker 'ESR' meter, and I must say it is great for repairs, mainly because it can test in-circuit. Now I know that in-circuit testing is inaccurate at best, but for repairs you are usually not interested in the exact ESR, but rather if the capacitor is suspect or not. Not having to desolder caps (after which you might as well just replace them) is a great time saver. Also its low ohms measurement capability is useful to locate shorts. For things other than repair you're no doubt be better of with a real LCR meter.

Regarding the question what the use of the table you see on those ESR meters; it a bunch of 'typical' ESR values for a capacitor with a given capacitance and voltage rating. If you measure a 'ESR' (impedance) that is way higher than what is in the table than the capacitor is most likely a dud. If the measured 'ESR' is lower chances are that it is just fine.

Another way to asses the condition of a capacitor if to put a scope across its terminals when the circuit is powered on; if there is a significant ripple that makes that cap suspect. Of course it is not exactly the safest method when working on the primary side of a power supply.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 06:28:23 pm »
The DE 5000 test voltage is around 600mV. But with a DUT, it will be much less. I have used it in circuit and it works, but I don't like in circuit testing and I don't do it. It can mislead you when you're trying to find a fault and then you waste more time than it would have taken to desolder a cap. If desoldering bothers you, get a cheap desoldering station like the ZD915. That actually makes desoldering fun :D

ESR alone is a pretty meaningless value, because an ESR value that's good for one cap might be bad for another. That's why you should look at the dissipation factor. Generally, a cap with a D of less than .25 is good for general caps, or less than .15 for low ESR caps. No need to look up any tables.

Funny enough, the DE 5000 shows D by default as the secondary value on power up, so you don't have to press any buttons to change settings or anything.

The DE 5000 is also very accurate at low ohms. It's got a resolution, and accuracy of 1 milliohm.
for(;;);

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 07:13:04 pm »
I did in circuit measurments with the der ee 5000 and it works most of the time without desoldering anything.
bonus : it gives a good capacity value even in circuits and often when capacitors gets dry they loose their capacity.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 07:29:27 pm »
I use an ESR Micro from RadioDevices.info : http://www.radiodevices.info/esr/esr4.htm

Manual in english here: http://www.radiodevices.info/esr/esr4_en.pdf

The author of this esr meter is user RusMike on badcaps.net forums , if you pm him he can give you more details (if he has in stock meters, price etc)

It works fine for my needs, occasional fixing of hardware.

Offline Pasky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 07:30:50 pm »
Does the DE-5000 also test transistors similar to that open source one that tells you NPN, PNP, if its bad/good?  Sorry if this is a bit off topic.

Offline Retep

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
The DE 5000 test voltage is around 600mV. But with a DUT, it will be much less. I have used it in circuit and it works, but I don't like in circuit testing and I don't do it. It can mislead you when you're trying to find a fault and then you waste more time than it would have taken to desolder a cap. If desoldering bothers you, get a cheap desoldering station like the ZD915. That actually makes desoldering fun :D
With the Bob Parker 'ESR' meter I have had few issues with in-circuit testing (IIRC it uses a much lower test voltage). I'm aware of the limitations of in-circuit testing, but if the measured 'ESR' is suspiciously high you can be pretty sure the cap is bad, and that is all I need to know for repairs. It typically takes less than a second to figure that out. I don't mind desoldering, but even with the best desoldering equipment I can't take a cap out, test it and put it back in (the right way!) a second or so. And once you got the old cap out, why not just put a new one in? The heat of desoldering and resoldering isn't going to make the old cap any better and a new cap isn't that expensive.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »
DER meter is made in Taiwan. It is a rebadged IET meter. I have heard nothing but good things about it and is one of the few handhelds that lets you do true 4w measurements.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 08:08:40 pm »
Does the DE-5000 also test transistors similar to that open source one that tells you NPN, PNP, if its bad/good?  Sorry if this is a bit off topic.
No. It is a dedicated LCR meter with dissipation, Q, and ESR capabilities.
http://www.ietlabs.com/lcr-meter/de5000-lcr-meter.html

What you are asking about is exemplified by the Peak Atlas DCA55 or DCA75 meters.
http://shop.anatekcorp.com/products/component-analyzers/

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 12:23:42 am »
ESR alone is a pretty meaningless value, because an ESR value that's good for one cap might be bad for another. That's why you should look at the dissipation factor. Generally, a cap with a D of less than .25 is good for general caps, or less than .15 for low ESR caps. No need to look up any tables.

I think to say this is too restrictive.  ESR has its place.  Consider this sweep of D and ESR from 100 Hz to 5 MHz for a typical electrolytic as one might find on a motherboard power supply.  D is the green curve and ESR is yellow.  The scale is .001 units at the bottom of the image and 1000 units at the top.  Units are ohms for ESR and no units for D.  Marker A is at 1 kHz and marker B is at 100 kHz:

Such a capacitor would be used in a switcher at some frequency above 10 kHz.  D just goes above 1.00 as the frequency passes 10 kHz and remains there until the frequency reaches 300 kHz.  This would lead one to think that the capacitor is bad, but in fact it's a brand new, low ESR Rubycon, not bad at all.

In switchers, knowing ESR is the parameter of interest because ripple current flowing through the ESR is the cause of heating in the capacitor, which is the main factor leading to limited lifetime of the capacitor.

When capacitors are used in switchers, ESR is not without meaning.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:22:57 am by The Electrician »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:14 am »
Guys so I'm kind of lost now. What should I do I want to test caps on the power suppy and knowing if they need to be replaced cause their internal resistence has gone high , dielectric it's dry and not doing it's function.
   Now my question is , when I do the testing on ESR in circuit powersupply has to be powered ? or without any power? . What's best for this purpose Blue ESR or DE 5000 ?
       Just a simple test , with DE 5000 how do I get to know the ESR value for a specific cap is ok , I'm oblied to get the caps datasheet to see if the ESR it's fine. Again I just need something good and quick to check the cap its failed without getting a bulged top.

Offline The Electrician

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 01:21:47 am »
Testing in circuit is done with the power off!!

As far as how to know what the ESR of a good and bad cap is, have a look at this video:

He says, and it's quite true, that accuracy in measuring the ESR to find a bad cap isn't very important, because when a cap (electrolytic) goes bad, the ESR goes way up.

This question has been answered in threads on this forum and elsewhere on the web.

After you use an ESR meter for a while in repair work, you will get to know when a cap is bad.

As far as which meter to use, if all you care about is repair work, finding bad electrolytics, you don't need the DE 5000.  The Atlas ESR70 is good because it also measures the capacitance, but the Anatek Blue ESR will do the job too.  I would stay away from the MESR100.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 01:50:14 am »
The dissipation factor D (tan d) for an electrolytic capacitor is measured at 120Hz, as per the datasheet.
There isn't a need to measure at higher frequencies, unless it is mentioned in the datasheet. It will always give you an accurate result concerning the health of that capacitor.
The capacitance is also measured at 120Hz.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 02:10:04 am »
So can I use the DE 5000 in circuit testing for ESR ? or should I go with BLUE ESR ? I want something proffesional that would add up to my bench equipment Oscilloscope, mmeter, lab power supply etc.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:18:11 am »
That's up to you. Both would do the job, but the LCR meter would be more useful in the long run. You can measure in circuit with the DE 5000.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
Re: Re: Advice on ESR meter, I've seen all chinese stuff on ebay..
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:24 am »
That's up to you. Both would do the job, but the LCR meter would be more useful in the long run. You can measure in circuit with the DE 5000.

I concur. If it was me, I'd get the DE 5000. It's a full function device, having more functionality than ESR specific meters. A good LCR I'd a great accompaniment to a solid multimeter.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 02:24:20 am »
You can measure with both but like the video says, often you won't get a valid result.

In lots of hardware products, you have several capacitors connected in parallel, which affects the measurement. So if one capacitor is bad, your meter will give you a value much lower than the actual esr value, because the other capacitors in parallel with that bad one mask it.

DE 5000 is a LCR meter , it does more things than just measuring the ESR. It measures inductors, resistors, measures capacitance, all at various frequencies.
The Blue ESR simply reports just one thing, an approximation of the ESR value.

If all you want is to have a tool to check if a capacitor is bad on a motherboard or power supply, the blue esr is enough. 

I wouldn't buy blue esr though, it's too expensive for what it offers. I bought my esr micro for around $50, shipped, and it does the same thing.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:57 am »
In lots of hardware products, you have several capacitors connected in parallel, which affects the measurement. So if one capacitor is bad, your meter will give you a value much lower than the actual esr value, because the other capacitors in parallel with that bad one mask it.

You will know when that happens because the LCR meter measures capacitance at the same time. If it measures a capacitance much higher than the marked cap rating, the cap will have to be isolated before testing.

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 02:48:23 am »
In switchers, knowing ESR is the parameter of interest because ripple current flowing through the ESR is the cause of heating in the capacitor, which is the main factor leading to limited lifetime of the capacitor.

When capacitors are used in switchers, ESR is not without meaning.

You're mixing up two things. If you want to know if a capacitor is defective/out of spec, ESR alone is meaningless and D is a much better indicator. D is measured at 120 Hz as per the datasheet, e.g.: http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE132.pdf

As you can see, the D factor of all types falls within a narrow range. As a capacitor ages, D increases and if you see a cap with a D of say, 0.5, you know immediately it's bad, you don't have to consult any tables or anything.

But if you're designing a SMPS, sure, you compare the ESR of the available caps and use the one with the lowest ESR.

Of course, to be completely sure about the health of a cap, you'd measure D (at 120 Hz), ESR (at 100kHz) and capacitance (at 120 Hz) and compare all these values to the actual datasheet. That is the most accurate way and an LCR meter allows you to do that, as opposed to a cheap "ESR meter".

BTW, nice vector impedance analyzer. What make/model is that?
for(;;);

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf