Author Topic: Accurate Low Amp Current Probe Advice  (Read 128 times)

tautech, Slh and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online KungFuJoshTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Accurate Low Amp Current Probe Advice
« on: Yesterday at 08:06:41 pm »
What do you recommend for a decent accuracy low(ish) current probe? I want something that has good accuracy in mA range and up to 5A (though I probably won't probe anything over 2A, so 2A or 3A is fine, whatever).

Also, hopefully not insanely expensive. Ideally, I'd like something under $500. Used is fine. If somebody has something awesome they want to trade for my 3532-50, PM me. 😉

Most common use would be tube guitar amp stuff, which mostly ranges in the low mA, but heater current might be significantly higher in the 1.5A level. Also my FUtracer tube curve tracer, but that's mostly the same levels. So 5A is overkill.

I understand there are other ways to measure this, that's not the point. I want to see things on the scope screen for fun, not due to any necessity.

Thanks,
Josh
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online KungFuJoshTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Accurate Low Amp Current Probe Advice
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:08:53 am »
Not really any BW requirements. Some stuff is DC, and most of what I would be testing are audio circuits.

The power tubes I use are probably going to run between 20mA and 100mA, and those are more important than the preamp tubes that might only see .5mA to ~1.5mA on the plates.

I've already read a lot of threads and opinions on here, but mostly it points to the common recommendations being poor subjects for low current readings. The CP2100B was one I was curious about, but that apparently sucks in the low mA range too. 🤷 The Pico TA189 is also interesting, but it's pricey. I don't need a current probe, I want one to screw around with in the range I need.

Thanks,
Josh
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf