Author Topic: Scopes with Function Gens  (Read 4913 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Scopes with Function Gens
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:38:01 am »
The Chinese are finally matching Agilent with the built-in function gen it seems:
http://www.bkprecision.com/products/oscilloscopes/2540B-GEN-60-mhz-1-gsa-s-digital-storage-oscilloscope.html

Dave.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
Re: Scopes with Function Gens
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:58:48 am »
I am sure we will see more and more of these. It is less then $10 of parts (maybe a bit more - it is an arbitrary waveform generator), and they mark up the retail price by $400.

For me the catch is it is easier blowing a function generator output then a scope channel input. Particularly if I accidentally plug a cable into the wrong BNC connector. If someone else is paying the repair bills, then great - add the function generators, logic analyzers, DMM's, entertainment centers, coffee makers, whatever.

Imagine - one mistake and you loose your scope, your signal generator and your logic analyzer all at once.

Richard.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:03:29 am by amspire »

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37:09 am »
Hantek's handheld DSO-8060 also has a AWG built-in.  It's a cool feature which would save me carrying another box when I travel, so I'm all in favour of it. 
http://www.hantek.com.cn/english/produce_list.asp?unid=80

Shame they paired the feature with a lower bandwidth/sample rate scope. 

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 01:09:55 pm »
Imagine - one mistake and you loose your scope, your signal generator and your logic analyzer all at once.

Richard.

I agree, I am not much of of all in one type designs. They do have their place and benefits sometimes. In this case a generator in a scope actually probably makes sense for convenience and really does not add to much to the cost.

The main thing I always disliked was a TV with  VCR or DVD built in. That's just asking for one part to end up being retired before its life is over.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »
What would be good is if you could capture a waveform on the 'scope, then send that to the AWG - it looks from the description as though you have to go via WaveXpress on a PC, which is a shame.

Offline Colin

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:50:55 am »
will the unit of waveform generator interfere oscilloscope and convenient to operate?
never too late to learn

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:33 am »
will the unit of waveform generator interfere oscilloscope and convenient to operate?

Most probably Not as ther AWG is a on board but separate entity

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:31:01 am »
The Chinese are finally matching Agilent with the built-in function gen it seems:

i was about to answer like "they doing this since before Agilent did, check Tonghui DSOs",
but honestly it seems that this BK DSO is nothing else than rebranded Tonghui TDO3000BS series.

I remember i posted some time ago a preview of new Hantek gears,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/new-hantek-gears-released/

unfortunately now 5 months later they still not available.
However they looks nice, AWG and LA and 4ch DSO is probably all-you-need (ehm, an lightsaber would be nice too):

« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:39:59 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:21:47 am »
I like your idea grumpy.  the wave form is already digitised, why not zigbee it to the generator, then there is no connection to screw up?

regards

Steve W
So long and thanks for all the fish

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf