Author Topic: You think you are an expert? How does this work (UPDATED with solution):  (Read 20566 times)

Offline WartexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com

Edit Jan 2012

Solution

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:17:49 pm by Wartex »

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: You think you are an expert? How does this work:
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:31:46 am »
I call bullshit!!!!

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:42 am »
I call bullshit!!!!

Not really, video editing bullshit is the right word.  ;D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:55:46 am »
For the retards above, there is no video editing.

This is doable. 1st and 3rd led are in the same direction, you can see at 2:04 he completes a loop with his fingers and 1st and 3rd leds glow. Switches ARE modified (author claim), I assume they contain diodes, and ON/OFF label has been reversed on some. I also suspect the 9v battery is an AC source (author claims it's not). LEDs might have tiny SMDs between legs.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:39 am »

Talk about winning friends.....

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:44:50 am »
Yeah, i also though the word "retards" was a bit extreme.

But it's probably just a cultural thing, might have different connotations in Canada vs Aus/Nz.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 07:54:16 am »
Every one is free to show the quality of his character, and the many they can freely choose with who to deal with in the future, and who to discard in the black hole of the toilet.

I do not blame Canadians those people are smart, but there is sad exceptions among them too.   

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
Interesting, the same way than other magic tricks. Ok, we can assume an SMD or two between the LED legs, non-standard LED component (does something like built-in voltage monitor circuit LED exist?) and whatever circuit you want inside the switches. He might also have something in his left hand. The switch he's holding on is different than the others (at least the sticker is gone). How? Off-hand, I don't know, but I would say a very clever trick, but not a video edit. There would be no fun in that...
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 02:30:13 pm »
Also, at 1:40, looks like more stuff inside the LED cover than just the LED. So, what is the real circuit?
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »
Neat trick indeed. After reviewing the video, I can not see any devices between the the legs of the LEDs or the switches. The 'misssing' label on the first switch is a matter of the lack of reflected light. At 9 volts, hand contact isn't going to pass enough current to light an LED, so that is out. The switches look as if they are correctly oriented according to their off-on and the terminal positions. Author claims modified switches? I wonder what the mods are? Interestingly, the first switch lights the LED furthest from the switches in the series loop. LEDs won't pass current without illuminating, at least not enough to light other LEDs, they would all glow equally.

I'll have to think about this more, puzzles can always be solved...

Chris

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
If you listen to the sound of the switches being thrown, there is a corresponding echo. Sounds like someone is operating more switches nearby.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »
Yeah, i also though the word "retards" was a bit extreme.

But it's probably just a cultural thing, might have different connotations in Canada vs Aus/Nz.

Nope. It means the same thing. Look at his posting history...

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 05:03:30 pm »
This is what I have found out via translating comments on youtube:

Left hand is not hiding anything but a finger nail smacked by a hammer...

OP hints that circuit is AC... AC generatior in the batt clip? States that 9v batt is "ordinary"

5 ma current but states explaination will ruin puzzle...

OP... "But look again and think carefully how many items I really used to build this system?"

OP "The third LED went on my mind for years:)
 I managed to modify the battery or not (as the only element of the film shown).
 However, the explanation of Usedom, which will provide a sensible systems is hidden in the battery ..."

OP "Don't look at my schematic! Consider, how I can? control these LEDs ? Tip: do you know any AC current properties ?"

OP "The film is not a photomontage., Or computer animation. LEDs light up as a result of current flow, and not through such laser illumination. I understand that negative opinions is a sign of powerlessness of the intellect. Too bad, because I hoped that this arrangement will inspire food for thought"

OP "I used about 200 R. But due to the nature of action, its function is trivial?"

OP "We'll talk and how to draw a diagram can show that you manage to pack it into LEDs"
OK, so does this mean that he "made the LEDs?" A look at the video may suggest yes, he did, as I have not seen bumpy, poorly cast LEDs even from the Whon Hung Lo brands bulk bagged at the swap meets.

So, given the AC supply, the possibility if additional circuitry embedded into the LEDs and probably the switches as well, how?

Chris

Offline wosser

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 05:59:33 pm »
If you freeze the video juuuust before hi flips the first switch you can juuuust see a noodly appendage at the edge of the picture.

Ramen.

Offline AndreasF

• Frequent Contributor
    • mind-dump.net
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »
My guess is the switches create or (bandpass) (notch) filter specific frequencies of the AC, and the "LEDs" are somehow tuned to those specific frequencies.

How? No idea!

[Edit: after further thought, filters must be notch filters for it to work, and must be 'active' when the switches are in the OFF position]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:22:06 pm by AndreasF »
my random ramblings mind-dump.net

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »
The AC generated from the "mutant" battery doesn't mean its high frequency, it could be the frequency is so low that probably way under < 1 Hz, and all the switching actions between those 3 switches were very well rehearsed, and the switching sequences must be done with accurate timing maybe ?

About the led,  its possible they're actually bi-color led but he covered with red dye so which ever led die light up, it still shows red light.

Still thinking though ....  :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:44:51 pm by BravoV »

Offline XynxNet

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »
I vote for video editing.
Why? Because its the simplest explanation and the lights dont look convincing.
Furthermore the author gathers the most attention if he video edits this, denies it and let people speculate...and attention is obviously his goal. If you just want to show a neat trick you usually explain it afterwards.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 07:36:23 pm »
If you just want to show a neat trick you usually explain it afterwards.

Illusionists never give away the secret of how a trick works. It spoils the illusion.

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 07:52:47 pm »
I don't think the video was edited. I have seen plenty of evidence in it that its genuine, particularly where the LED lights his finger when drawing the ? mark.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

Talk about winning friends.....

I couldn't care less about strangers on the internet who contribute nothing of value besides screaming "bullshit" to the discussion at hand. Kiriakos already proved to be a socially awkward buffoon with personality problems, I don't want him to be my friend. I don't know these people, they don't care about me, I'm not going to go out of my way to accommodate them. For all you cigar-smoking, top hat and monocle wearing armchair professors: "retard" in internet lingo means "a fool".

Even if this circuit is faked via non-electric means, it's still a good brain exercise. Lasers were nothing but sci-fi tales in the past, now we have them in every facet of human life. I'm sure there is a solution to this, be it trivial or complex, we can find it and let's concentrate on it instead of teaching me social interactions, shall we?

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:16 pm »
If you wish to care about your opinion post your full name and a picture of your self with cloths on this time.   :)

Up to today, you did not manage to fool me buying your worthless used instruments that you fish on ebay, and try to make money from them.

Your pitiful videos its not my business either, but only one true "fool" would take as footage the toilet seat of his home, or he would take a video of him self by be on the bed naked (only underwear) taking footage of the device in his hands and his naked legs.

Your latest incident, about  trying to make fool Dave Jones about a single word like "calibration", it was the latest proof that I needed so to be 100% sure,
that you are a sick person in a way.

Ask for help from the experts, you do need it. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:50:48 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:45:41 pm by Short Circuit »

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 11:58:45 pm »
I don't know how the trick was done, but if I wanted to duplicate the trick, I would just do it the simplest way.

I would make sure the battery connector was open circuit, and have one or two  very fine copper wire pre-soldered to each of the LEDS. A 1 thousands of an inch diameter copper wire would work fine, and it would be completely invisible to the camera.

I would use foot switches to change the LED's.

There are far more complex ways of doing it - those switches can easily be disassembled so you could add components inside the switch - but why bother? It may be possible to have RF antenna's directly under each LED, and if you turn the RF up enough the LED lights (the left LED was aligned to a reference dot on the paper), but the invisible wires is a better solution because it is simpler.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:07:07 am by amspire »

Offline joedevola

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 12:22:00 am »
Aspergers is 'the engineers disease', so you will probably find that a higher proportion of people here are aspies  ;)

There are various levels of 'functionality' and many have worked out that if you want to participate in social endeavours, even online ones, a certain level of polite behaviour is required, even if you don't want the other participants to be 'your friends'  :)
No, I don't call myself an engineer ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 01:09:30 am »
If you wish to care about your opinion post your full name and a picture of your self with cloths on this time.   :)

I think you are confusing this forum with a gay dating website.

Up to today, you did not manage to fool me buying your worthless used instruments that you fish on ebay, and try to make money from them.

Is that somehow illegal or immoral? Are you aware that millions of people make their living that way? Oh, my thermal imager that you couldn't afford, and my 8.5 GHz spectrum analyzer and countless Fluke DMMs are hardly worthless. I don't scam manufacturers into sending me free gear like you do. You are just a jealous loser, enjoy your Agilent with a huge markup and VAT slapped on it.

Your pitiful videos its not my business either, but only one true "fool" would take as footage the toilet seat of his home, or he would take a video of him self by be on the bed naked (only underwear) taking footage of the device in his hands and his naked legs.

Are you going on about naked men again? What was that history says about proliferation of pederasty in ancient Greece? Keeping the tradition I see? Sorry I offended you by my shorts, next time I will wear a burqa.

Your latest incident, about  trying to make fool Dave Jones about a single word like "calibration", it was the latest proof that I needed so to be 100% sure,
that you are a sick person in a way.

I wasn't trying to make fool of Dave, I was pointing out that there is more to calibration than just verification and later he said he "calibrated" his Gossen, clearly meaning he *adjusted* it and not calibrated it.

Ask for help from the experts, you do need it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf