Author Topic: New RS search  (Read 2400 times)

Alex

New RS search
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:31 pm »
RS has made radical changes on its website. www.rswww.com

I can't find a bloody thing now. It is extremely frustrating not to be able to view thumbnails from the different categories any more unless you go inside the category. Seriously, try finding something. Searching by keywords will almost certianly not give you the full results.

Why, RS why?! This is totally wrong! At least enable the 'gallery view' again on the master categories!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: New RS search
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:20 am »
RS has made radical changes on its website. www.rswww.com

I can't find a bloody thing now. It is extremely frustrating not to be able to view thumbnails from the different categories any more unless you go inside the category. Seriously, try finding something. Searching by keywords will almost certianly not give you the full results.

Why, RS why?! This is totally wrong! At least enable the 'gallery view' again on the master categories!
You mean they've actually managed to make what was already the second worst search in the industry (second only to Rapid) even worse....?
RS has been crap so long I can't see how they will ever fix it - I've often spent a lot of time at shows talking to RS guys about why their website is so rubbish but I don't bother any more as they clearly aren't interested - last time the guy's attitude was along the lines of 'well some of our customers like it so why should we change it?'. Muppets..   
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Alex

Re: New RS search
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:30 am »
Thats true, sadly. I would not rank them as it depends what you are looking for and how much you know about it. Rapid is more like Maplin than RS.

RS had an extensive range of mechanical components and you needed the gallery view. Now it is impossible to find something by 'browsing' and I am not exagerating at all. I find I need to pull out old BOMs for the actual RS codes. The format of the categories on the left makes things even harder.

I hope thay have kept backups of the previous layout and be brave enough to realise they took the wrong direction. Hopefully they wont brand a drop in sales and online chatter as a 'transition period'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf