Author Topic: The world from Dave's perspective  (Read 5488 times)

Offline ExcavatoreeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
The world from Dave's perspective
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:14:30 pm »
Please pardon the non-electronic discussion, but I found this map while searching for something else.   I know it's the same world, but I'm amazed at how different things look with a different orientation.   As an engineer, I know there's no preferred orientation of a sphere hanging in space.  However, I am amazed at how used to the "north up" orientation I am - I was completely unaware of it.

I'm sure Dave and other Southern Hemisphere people have seen this already:

Offline apex

• Regular Contributor
    • Thoughts of a nerd
Re: The world from Dave's perspective
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
Yes.
Somehow disturbing to see how fixed we are to imagine that the north pole is the top of the world.
apex

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:15 pm »
Because North IS the top of the world ;) These bozos even forgot to put Antarctica on the map. Musta been drunk...
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Offline Longhair

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:29:15 pm »
North is the top of the world until the magnetic field changes again, then South will be the top of the world.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »
North is the top of the world until the magnetic field changes again, then South will be the top of the world.

The direction the compass needle points only depends on the orientation of the magnet. There is nothing intrinsic about earth's magnetic field which defines "North" or "South".
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
Up and down reference altitude or change in gravitational equipotential.  North and south can not be on top or below one another since top and bottom imply some type of gravitational field vector which you have to refer.  If a gravitational equipotential intersects 2 points than neither point is above or below one another.  Not standardizing maps and directional orientations sounds like a logisitical nightmare for pre-computing time periods.  Now I guess it only matters in the class room.
-Time

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:24:12 am »

I recon we are well overdue for another flip.

BTW, that "corrected" map is quite common here, you can buy it in any good map or book store.

Dave.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:42:36 am »
Be nice if the flip started happening in my lifetime, though it's pretty unlikely.
They say that when it happens there will be a period in between the flip where there are many north and south poles all over the planet and a compass will be pretty useless. There will be lots of auroras visible as well.

Should be quite interesting.

There are a few documentaries that talk about the flip if anyone is interesting.
The one i can remember the name of is  NOVA - magnetic storm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:06:41 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline rossmoffett

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:52:20 am »
I had a professor from New Zealand that had this map on his office wall.   :D
ArcAttack - A group of musical Tesla coil performers with semi-regular blog updates.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:30:35 am »
i wish i have the ability as the space jet pilots are when they making acrobatic flight. they are well trained not to define what is top what is bottom (sky and earth). i only can enjoy the view from pc aircraft simulation game.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline the_raptor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »
I like pre-magnet maps that don't even follow North-South orientation (which has orient in it because European maps used to have "east" at the top because the sun comes from that direction).

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:50 pm »

I recon we are well overdue for another flip.

BTW, that "corrected" map is quite common here, you can buy it in any good map or book store.

Dave.
I saw a documentary a few years ago that reported on the results of some simulations of the Earths magnetic field using the data the Royal Navy has been keeping for the last 100 years. As I recall the programme, the result was that the Earths field is in the beginning stages of reversal, although the entire sequence will take a few hundred years.

On the subject of orientation, I had to think twice when I read a book talking about going North to warmer climates.  I am in the UK, so going North means you get colder.

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:43 am »
Likewise with a photography book I'm reading that recommends using a north facing window for subtle natural lighting in portraits.

Damn harsh from in my northern window in .AU - probably should strike it out and write south to avoid the mental trauma if I read it again!

Offline ExcavatoreeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 05:28:28 pm »
I never considered that.  I suppose to be non-biased, one should say non-equatorial facing windows.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 06:25:35 pm »
Don't mass extinctions happen when the magnetic filed flips?

I'd be worried about the effect it'll have on us.

I wonder what will happen to migratory birds who have a built-in compass.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 08:32:31 pm »
magnetic flip will not happen overnight. if it is, then something wrong with "the core"
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf