Author Topic: Logic Analyzer vs Rigol DS1074Z  (Read 7215 times)

Offline echen1024Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
Logic Analyzer vs Rigol DS1074Z
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »
What should I get. Both will end up to be around the same price, so I was wondering whether I should get the DS1074Z with a serial decode (don't expect me to pay for it), or an Agilent 16702B/TLA714 with pattern generator.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline samofab

• Regular Contributor
Re: Logic Analyzer vs Rigol DS1074Z
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »
I would buy oscilloscope. With 4 channels you can cover all modern digital serial protocols (SPI=4 lines at most). And even if you need to check 8 or 16 bit bus, oscilloscope is still your friend.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:24:56 pm by samofab »

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:07:47 pm »
Or, get a Saleae clone for 10 bucks. That will decode just about any serial protocol, including CAN and LIN. And, it has unlimited memory.
for(;;);

The following users thanked this post: ssaenek

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »
Or, get a Saleae clone for 10 bucks. That will decode just about any serial protocol, including CAN and LIN. And, it has unlimited memory.

Actually, a "Saleae clone" doesn't decode anything.  However, if you "obtain" the software developed for use with the real product, then that does decode many formats.

Also, the USB-based "unlimited memory" devices are limited to a max sampling rate of 25 MHz, and that's a Sample clock, not a State clock.  The 1000Z can sample at 10x that max rate, even when running 4 channels at once. 

And with the 1000Z you'll get to examine the analog signal integrity, and see any glitches (or noise) in the analog domain.  You can miss some types of problems with the purely digital LA devices, because they provide only a single bit/sample... and hopefully the threshold is appropriate for the circuit you're testing.  Otherwise the data you get could be completely (or partially) wrong, and you'd never know it.

Like everything else, they have their uses, and their unique limitations.

The following users thanked this post: ssaenek

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »
I'm stuck between deciding on a LogicPort or a 1074Z.  I've got a 2072.

I love the idea of such a low cost 4 channel scope, but its downsides (250MSa/s, 5ns minimum timebase, 12x8 vs 14x8 grid, no 100Mhz unlock, 1" smaller screen).  I really think it is such a cute little scope, but my existing 2072 hammers it in all categories but the 4 channels.

The LogicPort on the other hand is more than I like to pay for a USB style piece of test equipment, but it sure is impressive in what it can do.  Running through all the example files in the demo software shows a great deal of capability and flexibility.  I especially like how it handles interpreters and how you can configure them even after the capture and see them alongside the actual signals.  I also like how you can leave it in running mode like a scope and watch signals as you work on a project too.

I think for now I'm going to go with the LogicPort, but that 1074Z is very cool too.  I'd like it more though if the 100Mhz could be unlocked and it went to 2ns...

Offline sprocket

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »
I have been pondering what scope to get myself. So I'm in a similar situation as you are.

I would love to get either the Agilent 3000 series or the rigol 4000 series but they are to expensive for my hobbist use. So it's either the new 1000 series or the 2000 series from rigol. And if I some how make the magic black smoke excape from either the 1000 or 2000 series it wont be the end of the world.

My conclution so far is that I'll probably go buy the rigol DS2072 and hack it for the deep memory and added bandwith as it seems the decoding stuff is a bit meh on the DS2000. So I'll probably buy Labtool from embeddedartist and use that as a logic analyser/ cheap signal gen.

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/app/labtool.php

heck.. you can even slap that on a rasberry PI and use a external monitor and from what I can gather it would make a nice standalone logic analyzer. I think that combo will set up back 130 euros or so..

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:22:19 pm »
The embedded artists product looks like it has potential (not a super high clock speed but interesting to see the generator and learning/training functions included; open source probably has some good appeal too).

Hey Dave, how about a 1 or 2 part video that takes off from your earlier (very good) logic analyzer (tutorial) videos and compares/contrasts some popular combinations of scopes and logic analyzers:  maybe the Rigol DS1000Z and DS2000 with their decode features vs. the Intronix Logic Port and some of the newer/up and coming USB LAs?  That could be the 1st video; the 2nd could show what is available if you move up stream to a Rigol MSO4000, the Agilent MSOX3000, etc.  One of the key points to address (along with which decoders and triggering system and buffers really work the best for various use cases would be "how important or valuable is it to be able to closely synchronize analog and digital signals?").  Thx!  EF
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:30:42 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline backflipper

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
I am having the same dilemma. I want to buy a decent oscilloscope to replace my trusty fluke pm9032 but i think I should keep the 2 devices separate.

So far I am thinking of a Rigol 100mhz and a Salae.
Looking for Fluke 9100ft and associated pods (9000a-z80, 9000a-6502, 9000a-68000)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »
Really? stay with your DS2072 and buy a separate Logicanalyzer as the Logicport. I own both (DS2072 and Logicport) and as it is so much easier to work with the separate LA than with something similar buildt into a scope I would never change it (I did own a Scope with a buildt-in 16 channel LA - it was a pain compared to a PC based LA.

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:41:46 pm »
Really? stay with your DS2072 and buy a separate Logicanalyzer as the Logicport. I own both (DS2072 and Logicport) and as it is so much easier to work with the separate LA than with something similar buildt into a scope I would never change it (I did own a Scope with a buildt-in 16 channel LA - it was a pain compared to a PC based LA.

:) The DS2072 stays no matter what; it really is awesome.  I do think I'm going to add the LogicPort instead of the 1074Z...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf