Author Topic: Commercial Switchmode PS: is there a spec that covers RFI suppression efficiency  (Read 4735 times)

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
If so, what terminology should I look for in the specs to ensure I get a PS that puts out the minimum of RF crap?

Is WellForces - also trading as Mean Well a reliable brand?

Thanks!
Frogman: half man, half frog, but which half?

Offline qno

• Frequent Contributor
look for UL or CE markings.
Why spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't like?

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
CE can mean Conformance European or China Export. The symbols are slightly different. Note also that a Chinese certificate of conformance usually only verifies that the issuer owns a printer.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
CE can mean Conformance European or China Export. The symbols are slightly different. Note also that a Chinese certificate of conformance usually only verifies that the issuer owns a printer.

There's no such thing as a 'China Export' mark.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking#China_Export

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor

A very similar CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products. However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008. The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It is in the process of trade-marking the logo and it is in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European standards.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu

...alleged...
...misconception.
...unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark...

The idea that they'd call it a "China Export" mark sounds kind of silly to me. They're often pretty bold about blatantly copying shit.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
If so, what terminology should I look for in the specs to ensure I get a PS that puts out the minimum of RF crap?

Is WellForces - also trading as Mean Well a reliable brand?

Thanks!
Mean Well are generally good as Chinese suppliers go, but they do have a few dodgy products in their range.
I generally prefer TDK-Lambda when quality & reliability counts more than minimum cost.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The posts about what they do/don't do in China are interesting. However, can I therefore assume that all SMPS made in China (are there any not made there?) show no printed indication or standard of the efficacy of RFI suppression and that the whole show is just a bunch of techno lies and greed?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:38:20 am by nzo »

Offline nzoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
And...in answer to my own question re WellForces and Mean Well - those are all Chinese switchmode devices on their websites with no guarantee of electronic cleanliness. I spent some time on the phone with a guy from WellForces today and he was quite vague about their RFI/EMI specs.

I told him the little story about Chinese SMPS designs and circuits including suppression components that were deliberately left out in the final manufacture, and that this was a widespread practice. His comment was that it rarely happened. Yeah right!

Honesty in manufacture seems to have gone the way of US politics but what do I know.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
I've seen an installation where a knock-off brand switch-mode power supply caused all sorts of grief.  Interference to TV, modem, security camera, etc.  They swapped it out for an equivalent model from Mean Well and all the problems were gone.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf