Author Topic: Oscilloscope  (Read 3484 times)

Offline karderisTopic starter

Oscilloscope
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »
Hello everybody

I want to buy a decent oscilloscope for now and for future work. I intend to go for 100Mhz. I 've read somewhere I don't remember that in order to see ripple in power supply you must have an osc illoscope with 50Mhz and further. I have seen Agilent DSO1102B and for its characteristics it' s fair enough. Should I go for Tektronix ? I don't know really. On the other hand Rigol are very cheap and I am afraid the risk. Any help is appreciated

Offline PetaVolt

• Contributor
    • PetaVolt
Re: Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:25 pm »
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend.  I recently bought a Rigol DS1102E and I am very happy with it.  If I had more to spend I probably would have gone with a low end Agilent.

Spencer

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »
It depends as PetaVolt says.  If you go into the Test Equipment forum there are lively discussions on a bunch of manufacturers across a bunch of price ranges.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:29:19 am »
Tell us more about yourself, do you need a long warranty? Is support critical for you? How much money are you planning to spend? These are very useful questions for us all.

Now, remember Tektronix doesn't have a very deep sampling memory, but support is on par with Agilent, I think. Agilent is a good choice, but it will cost you a lot of money. The Agilent DSO1102B is actually a rebranded Rigol oscilloscope no longer being sold by Rigol. You will get superior support, of course, compared to Rigol. The DS1102E is the cheapest option and it is very well known by this community.

Offline Randall W. Lott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:18 am »
I have a Rigol DS1052E and it's worked very well for me so far.  If you plan on doing RF work, you may want something with a higher bandwidth.
- Randy

Offline megahz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:46:30 am »
Since im 15 I don't see any point in getting an oscilloscope just yet, but my school just got 2 rigol oscilloscopes, and they seem pretty good

Offline Randall W. Lott

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »
Since im 15 I don't see any point in getting an oscilloscope just yet, but my school just got 2 rigol oscilloscopes, and they seem pretty good

That's awesome!  My high school didn't even have an oscilloscope.  Most other students my age weren't seriously interested in electronics though.
- Randy

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »

Your never too young to have a Scope!  They are absolutely indispensable, ask for one for X-Mas next year.

Offline megahz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:34:33 pm »
Nope next years birthday, I already got my 16th birthday present which is a good watch, swiss card (the knife), and a new soldering station  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf