Author Topic: Should an anti-static "conductive" brush register on the DMM?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline GiddieTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Software Engineer (Linux / Ruby on Rails)
Hi guys,

I just bought these inexpensive "anti-static conductive ESD" brushes on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00880B9FO

My question is this: they're all black, which suggests carbon and conductivity to me. However, I get zip on the multimeter. Absolutely no conductivity at all, anywhere. Should I expect this? Will it only conduct at high voltages? Is there any way to test that it will indeed conduct away to earth any generated static charge (through me, if I'm earthed)?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Should an anti-static "conductive" brush register on the DMM?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 09:37:47 am »
According to the description they use "dissipative polypropylene", and their resistance is very high. http://www.plasticsintl.com/esd.htm

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:41 am »
Thanks, so it looks like although the resistance is high, it's enough to dissipate static charge.  I'm thinking I'm earthed via a 1M? resistor already... But I guess there'll still be enough current to avoid charge building?  I get pretty decent results from these brushes for cleaning off flux and general cleaning, and this was the only thing worrying me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 10:14:14 am »
IIRC the handle on mine is conductive at some readable level on a regular meter. Will have the check the bristles.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:29 am »
Using an Extech EX330, FYI ;)  Love it, but I have bunged a bit of bluetack over the beeper because I found it too loud to use the continuity tester comfortably.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:32 am »
Seems someone needs to measure with a high-resistance meter. I don't even have the brush.
Additionally, Polonium-210 radiation sources are used on some antistatic brushes too.

I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf