Author Topic: Happy Holidays  (Read 6863 times)

Offline SgtRockTopic starter

• Supporter
Happy Holidays
« on: November 30, 2012, 01:57:15 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--A heart touching moment in the big city.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240189/Heartwarming-photo-snapped-tourist-shows-NYPD-officer-giving-winter-boots-barefoot-homeless-man.html#ixzz2JNnZUbXr

When I was a boy in Orlando we had a local motorcycle cop, a Korean War Veteran, who was known for his good deeds. His name was Big Sid, Patrolman Sidney Crenshaw, and he died during a traffic stop when a motorist hit him by accident.  He has a plaque on the wall at OPD. On weekends Sid was the Cooler at the Steak & Shake ,a local drive in restaurant where I worked. Most of the kids loved Sid. He would give you a break if he could, or loan you some gas money, or knock you flat if he had to. Sid is one of the ones we remember when we remember the those who are not present. Cheers.

“We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.”
George Orwell 1903 -1950

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline Tube_Dude

• Regular Contributor
Re: Happy Holidays
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:25 am »
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
Jorge

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:46:53 am »
"Sid"? not again, he was a bad boy used to rocket lauch toys to sky. well, the truth is, the shoe shop owner called the police to hand the hunglow boot to the homeless and politely ask him to leave, it will hurt the shop sale if he continue to stay there, life! you wont get free lauch in todays world, let alone catepillar boot. talking about remeberance, we remembered one traffic police that has been transfered back to his hometown, his callsign is "Janggun" i bet dave cant pronounce that, stupid name yeah! his deed? he will ask $10 from you in exchange to the $100 compound that he's about to give you due to stupid mistake such as not wearing seatbelt while in heavily congested trafic town, or park on the sideway where there's no parking lot there, just because there's no any other parking lot available. the compound is "blocking trafic" my ass, its a sideway not in the middle, cars still can get through. he will be remebered and story told for generations.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:25 am »
compound make no sense in any context in your rambling story. Could you perhaps give us a clue what you're talking about?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:23 am »
here compound we mean summon or that little paper that they give to you and later pay at their office. i dont know your term sorry.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:48:09 am »
Most commonly called a 'ticket', traffic ticket, parking ticket, etc.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:29:02 pm »
He must be an expat SA cop then Mecha......... Currently there is a sale on on tickets, pay within the next month and you get 50% off, and for those who literally owe a million dollars ( a taxi owner of course) they can pay in installments.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 03:58:34 am »
He must be an expat SA cop then Mecha......... Currently there is a sale on on tickets, pay within the next month and you get 50% off, and for those who literally owe a million dollars ( a taxi owner of course) they can pay in installments.
"expat SA"? doesnt make sense to me! :-DD truly, i need to google that up first :P yea its the gov regulation now, you pay quick you'll get % off, their "ingeniusity", but that doesnt stop "them" from handing down "ticket" due to "stupid trivial" mistakes like i've mentioned above. i'd rather pay for "ticket" to go to cinema.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 04:53:41 am »
Rent a cop from South Africa, where they are all too commonly known to accept cash in return for not writing up a ticket, or writing up a lesser one.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 05:29:11 am »
i wish that "Janggun" guy still around and handle all my "misbehaviours" on the road. i can always get 90% discount "on the spot" without a hassle going to police office which i always almost got a heart attack just by entering the gate.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 05:48:27 am »
In malaysia too they will accept money instead of writing a ticket  ^-^

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:58:02 am »
I feel better for not having the most corrupt police on the planet..........

Though they may be the only ones who went on strike because the bosses wanted to fire the corrupt ones.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 06:07:18 am »
A country's policeman will only be as good as the country's government ...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 07:36:43 am »
No comment......

Offline ju1ce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 09:06:54 am »
due to stupid mistake such as not wearing seatbelt while in heavily congested trafic town, or park on the sideway where there's no parking lot there, just because there's no any other parking lot available. the compound is "blocking trafic" my ass, its a sideway not in the middle, cars still can get through
Trying to find a parking space is frustating, but still I think it is right to punish those who park in the wrong place. Slacking control means that more and more people will park their car to more and more dangerous places. Parking on the sidewalk may cause dangerous situations if the lane is also used by cyclists. Parking on the rightmost lane congests traffic. Both alternatives make servicing the road (cleaning it from debris/snow) harder.

I guess that playing by the rules is a cultural thing in which we Finns go to ridicilous lengths, but of course no one thinks that corruption is acceptable.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »
how about not wearing seatbelt in congested traffic in a city? how about "passing" red light in midnight or when you are the only driver on the road? corrupt policemen are minority here.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »
how about not wearing seatbelt in congested traffic in a city? how about "passing" red light in midnight or when you are the only driver on the road? corrupt policemen are minority here.

Both these are offences here and if caught would result in a traffic ticket.
Whatever we may feel about rules and regulations, we either have to obey them or change them.

Offline r90s

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:24 pm »
Merry Christmas to Sarge, and everyone else.

8)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »
Jumping red lights, speeding, overtaking on blind rises, not stopping behind the line, parking in the road as it is convenient, driving wrong way down a one way..... All common, and all I have seen today, often right in front of a cop car. Only cops that do any law enforcement are the motorbike guys, they seem to be a little more aware.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »
so we are getting civilized, our government learnt from more civilized country except our roads are still bumpy :P overtaking on blind rises is something i will not do since the risk is... death. i'll give double  ticket if i'm the prime minister. as it always happened, it happened on highway where no traffic officer is to be found, they are all too busy in the city because they know thats where its easy to do the job and alot of chance to hand out many tickets. they learnt and expert on how to give ticket effectively but not to solve death accidents thats usually happened (on the highway).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf