Author Topic: Dremel 3000 electrical handtool  (Read 27783 times)

Offline ElectroElvisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • http://electroelvis.com/
    • ElectroElvisBlog
Dremel 3000 electrical handtool
« on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
Recently I have bought an electrical multitool Dremel 3000. It is designed for various use in different fields like electornics, metal industry, wood carving, grinding and polishing various items. I have bought Dremel 3000 kit wich came with little extender hand tool and small asortiment of various bits and pieces.

I bought it from Conrad Conrad Austria for which I have paid 69€ and for additional 100 piece kit of extra pieaces I have paid 29€ in total it came 98€.

Opening the main box first we stumble uppon gray hard plastic case with handle for carrying. Inside it is tightly packed except of small extention tool which is very hard to lock in position without falling down while closing case.

Small assortiment of selected acessories in main box. It contains some polishing pads with polishing paste, small wrench for mounting evrything to Dremel 3000, cutting and grinding stones with and without Speed Click system which is very handy.

Total size of main Dremel 3000 tool is not that big atlest for my hands, it feels very comftarble in my hands. It is not that heavy either and without major vibrations while in use.

As my first tool I am very happy with it. Main main use of it is for electronics and some furniture modifications. That is also why I have selected general acessories kit instead of other specific kits like polishing kit or engraving kit.

Tool has speed regulations between 5.000 and 33.000 rpm which is quite handy for different usage. On actual tool it is has sliding knob with speed settings OFF, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.

What I have noticed is that on speed 2 which I belive it is 5.000rpm actual speed varies which can be problem in some delicate works. It can be heard very clear that it cannot maintain constant speed and goes up and down non stop. On other speed settings it is not noticable.

From tools I have tested only cutting pad, grinding pads and engraving bit. Cutting pad for steel if I can say it cames equipped with Speed Click system. This system doesn’t have normal screw in part like others, instead it has special mechanism which you pull down, place your pad rotate it and release mechanism so it clamps the pad from under.

I must say that comparing Speed Click and normal way of mounting pads, Speed Click it is definetly faster.

More than that I cannot really say since I havent really used it that much, but I know I wont regreat that buy. It is cheap but great electrical multitool with wide range of use and wide range of optional acessories for mounting, handling and bits to it.

For more pictures of actual product and acessories kit click here: http://electroelvis.com/2012/11/24/review-dremel-3000/

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Re: Dremel 3000 electrical handtool
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:28:31 pm »
can you notice any bit with shaft, for eg. bit 85602 in your pic or the shaft holding the sanding or heavier disc can go off center or vibrate during operation? at high speed?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:41:38 pm »
Hej Mechatrommer,

can you notice any bit with shaft, for eg. bit 85602 in your pic or the shaft holding the sanding or heavier disc can go off center or vibrate during operation? at high speed?

If you are thinking of steel shaft with screw on top of it I can tell only what I have tried. I mounted brown grinding disc, I've tried it on setting 8 which is close to 30k rpm and it was stable.

Same I can tell for Speed Lock system.

Hope that answers your question, if not feel free to post again.

Elvis

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »
Any dremel is great to have in your toolkit, but I prefer the simplest single speed Dremel 100, aka 275.  Because the speed control has no feedback but a simple light dimmer triac, it can also vary with voltage amplitude.  But the controllers are fixed step resistors for speed selection, not fully variable and depending on your touch, the speed it becomes maybe too slow or too fast.  On a a single speed dremel, you can attach a fully variable light dimmer that gives you fullest control of speed, and it also the cheapest model.  Finally, many speed controlled dremels suffer from burn-out of the speed controllers; the switch must contend with the ambient temperature caused by the motor, which often will rise past 100C.  This shortens the life of the controller, and leads to premature failure.  On an external speed control, the controller never is heated beyond ambient, and proven in older dremels, last more than lifetime.  While less convenient, its proven reliability.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline poptones

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:02 pm »
I had a dremel once, the bearings gave out before I had finished building my first R/C car. Since then I don't spend the money, I buy knockoffs. A bronze bearing is a bronze bearing...

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:41:39 pm »
About reability I wouldn't have any information, but I do know that my Dremel have 4 years guarantee.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:28 pm »
I had a dremel once, the bearings gave out before I had finished building my first R/C car. Since then I don't spend the money, I buy knockoffs. A bronze bearing is a bronze bearing...
bearing can be changed easy, given they used standard sized bearing. just recently i bought "knock off dremel" took it apart right away to see if they use real bearing or a dummy plastic one like i experienced with my cheapy hand drill long ago, i changed to real steel bearing, good long after the amature gave up. but my knock off dremel use real bearing so thanks to chinaman there.

but I prefer the simplest single speed Dremel 100, aka 275.  Because the speed control has no feedback but a simple light dimmer triac, it can also vary with voltage amplitude
from OP report it seems it is. the same to the knockoff. mine does not speed up and down unstably like the OP, but the first cold you start it, it rev slower, and then it goes higher for a few seconds and stabilized, i believe the control is temp dependent, the hotter it is, the higher the speed will be. btw mine is analog one straight line resistor no stepping, so the resolution of speed control will depend on your hand sliding it. otoh imho the speed control is useful for (1) delicate work such as shaping or polishing something small and (2) to avoid damage during operating unbalanced (off centered) bit.

i posted my tear down a while ago. nobody made a real dremel tear down so i cant compare...

and i wont hesitate to put it in harzarduos condition, if it dies, its a knock off anyway :P

if someone will give me the real dremel 3000 as gift. i will be "a dream comes true" person.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:56:37 pm »
Mecha, its very similar.  The technology is almost 50 years old except for the speed controller segment of a dremel.

One advantage of the real model over clones is parts, you can get them easily in the USA and EU and they are very cheap, and if you know how, its very easy to repair.  Parts lists and prices are sold by the factory and agents.  If not you can easily cannabalize units to keep them running.

For the model Dremel 100, you can use modern parts to substitute to the Dremel 275 series models from 1992.  I never overwork my tools so I've never had to change a bearing, in fact I've never had it break on me.

Here's an sample of the original controller that was sold from the 1970s.

A Lutron light dimmer does the same thing:

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:06:22 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:42 am »
How bad is the noise? I mean I've heard multiple opinions saying that Dremel tools are very load, while Proxxon tools (my favourite brand btw) are rather quiet.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:42:15 am »
Apologies, it's not about Dremel branded tool,  but this thread reminded me of my own purchase.

I got this Draper handtool from Amazon UK : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ELJ0HY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03

It kinda sucks, don't buy it.

Motor is strong, it has some speed, but it vibrates a lot (not very centered) and the metal of the accessories is really bad .

I wanted to cut the plastic of a ac-dc adapter with a round disc and one of those adapters with screw to hold the disc in place and the screw came loose from vibrations and the screw can no longer be tightened, the insides of that metal bar broke at the point where you tighten the screw.

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:45 am »
About the noise, at low speed it is not noticable much atleaset for me, but if you cranck it up to 33k rpm well you are hearing some high frequency noise:) Wile in use it does not vibrate at all.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:55:16 am »
I got the 3000 too and its not too noisy or it vibrates noticeably. The extension tool is very handy for reaching in boxes cutting something or drilling a PCB, handles like a soldering iron, hint is it takes a properly high post hanging from if to do work over a bench so to keep as straight for radius as possible.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:00:35 pm »
P.S. Dremel Multi-Vise I can recommend for complimenting this kit. Very flexible. Works without the fixing base as well for just sitting on the bench holding a PCB to work on.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »
Here is a pic of the vise fully assembled.

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »
Thank you very much for that information my friend Salas, I didn't even know that existed from Dremel. I did found from other companies for little more money but according to photos Dremel one looks very strudy and stable, others are quite cheap made if you know what i mean.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:24:51 pm »
Its around 30 EUR. Not bad considering it rotates and angles, the brackets can just sit on a bench without the base, or it can be the rotary tool's holder (has a fixture) to make it stationary for grinding things on it for instance.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:15 pm »
Proxxon is better made but cost more; if they die, they will die fully because of their feedback electronics and it cannot work without it; the better Dremels are primitive, noisy but robust.  Also, the build consistency from Dremel is better than the clones.  A true Dremel 100 will run about $30 while a copy runs about $20-25, and comes with more accessories.  However, many of those accessories are nearly worthless, and the durability of the copies is very variable, so for $30 its money well spent.  I've only had to buy a new Dremel 100 twice in my life, and both still work but I also take care of them all, only use them for electronics work; for home repairs its best to use something designed for the same and not overwork the small tool.

How bad is the noise? I mean I've heard multiple opinions saying that Dremel tools are very load, while Proxxon tools (my favourite brand btw) are rather quiet.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:28:48 pm »
Apologies, it's not about Dremel branded tool,  but this thread reminded me of my own purchase.
Cheapest chinese shit, the one i have is slightly better but had broken brushes from day 1  ^-^
Check the brush alignment and check if the brushes are split into half.
That particular model is so horrendous the chinese are afraid of selling it themselves!

Proxxon is better made but cost more; if they die, they will die fully because of their feedback electronics and it cannot work without it; the better Dremels are primitive, noisy but robust.  Also, the build consistency from Dremel is better than the clones.  A true Dremel 100 will run about $30 while a copy runs about $20-25, and comes with more accessories.
Again .. Horrendous overpricing just because it's been flipped upside down ... A dremel 300 set (the full set!) runs for for 75USD while it runs for 170SGD
How does one explain that? The dremel 100 clones actually are made for much cheaper, they sell for roughly about 10SGD like ... what?
And yeah, i vouch for proxxon they cost a bit more but they are alot better, very well made and actually made in germany but it too is far too expensive here
the FBS240/E set goes for 133SGD which is quite a bit less but is slightly less powerful but ah well if you need power you won't be buying proxxon or dremel, you would be buying from the likes of makita or metabo whom has 1000W die grinders ...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:38:53 pm by T4P »

• Regular Contributor
    • ElectroElvisBlog
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »
My Dremel is made in Mexico:D

Offline grenert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:07 am »
Saturation, do you think the current model 100 is of equal quality to the older 275 when it was made in the USA?  I ended up seeking out an older 395 rather than go with a current model, but I'm not sure there is any wisdom in that.  I bought a cordless 8200, made in Mexico I think, and it's worked well for me.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:59 am »
I have had the Dremel professional (Sears used to carry it) for about 9 years.  was about $120.00 dollars.  Excellent feedback speed control even at 5000 rpm and 5 year warranty. I have seriously used this thing in a manufacturing environment with no problems.

USA version called "digital professional" now.  better price http://www.globaljetclub.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=503

USA version called "digital" now http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/powertools/dremel/398.htm

EU version called "digital" http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/ocs/category/7358/dremel%c2%ae-400-series-digital/

EU version called "professional" http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/ocs/category/7360/professional/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:07:46 am by robrenz »

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »
Hi grenert,  as its is, you can not tell the difference between a US and Mexican made 100, 200 or 300 [ they are modeled after the 275 series].  The technology is the same, its 20+ years old, so they are more than capable of making a duplicate. 

They had their faults.  If you buy a Mexican 100 and add an external speed control, run through all the speeds; I've exchanged 1 from Walmart that vibrated too much at just one speed 15k rpm, after return I got one that was right, they just didn't balance it right.  OTAH, they do balance the motors on the 200 models and up properly which were made for variable speed.

US model had a large fault. In the early 1990s, when Dremel was bought by its parent ??? I forget, they quietly added a plastic clutch to the entire model line that breaks under heavy load or age; the motor will lose speed and finally free spin but the shaft will not turn.  The part is the 'flex coupler' and is $1 item, but you have to open the Dremel and replace it;most folks can't service it and it led to a large number of service calls and complaints of poor quality; it was actually a 'safety' device.  In the late 1990s, they quietly removed it.  If you have such an old model just replace the whole $20 rotor assembly with the 100 part replacing the old part.  In the USA, Dremel will quietly replace that for free [ you pay S/H] if you complain about the coupler.   You can also make your own coupler out of aquarium plastic ~ 1.5cm length clear tubing, I forget the diameter but it must fit very tight, and you can replace it yearly to keep it fresh; the tubing is ~ $1 for 3 feet, regardless, that coupler is not a precise device and it affects the run out of motor's rotation compared to one without it.  Other than that, US models suffer less from overheating the speed controller as electronic parts were sourced from Taiwan, Japan and USA, and were better made than the Chinese electronics in the 100 series.

Parts on the 100, 200, and 300 are all interchangeable, including the speed control.  Also, if your speed control screws up, you can bypass it completely, and put mains voltage directly onto the stator pins; or buy an off/on switch from Dremel and drop in replace it for the 200 or 300 speed control, or even cannibalize an old unit.  The 3000 is a full redesign so the parts are unique, as is with the 4000.

If you're willing to trade short run time and the cost of batteries for convenience, the cordless can serve you well.  Early models were NiCD and finicky with charging, and Li Ion chemistry has a calendar life of 4 years, so it will die regardless.

Which model you choose depends on how much torque you wish, and degree of speed control.  The 100 series is the most basic and is good for craftswork and electronic repairs/hacks.  Its also fairly small and light.

The Chinese copies, mostly from Harbor Freight, can work, but I've seen more of them dead than Dremels.  If its not quality control in manufacture, its erratic top speeds [ usually 15-20k, about 10-20k slower than the 100], or easily killed by overheating.  It usually will last you a few jobs, just enough for the warranty to expire.  The advantage of it is if it dies on you during warranty, Harbor Freight will honor the full replacement warranty. 

Saturation, do you think the current model 100 is of equal quality to the older 275 when it was made in the USA?  I ended up seeking out an older 395 rather than go with a current model, but I'm not sure there is any wisdom in that.  I bought a cordless 8200, made in Mexico I think, and it's worked well for me.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 09:06:19 pm »
annyone have a 4000 series for a review? im looking to buy 1 for long time

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 10:00:39 pm »
There are many reviews on home repair and auto enthusiasts pages, and on Amazon.com.  Bottom line, is now over a year since its introduction, its proven to be reliable.  However, the unit costs 2.5-3x the 100, and is much larger and heavier; you may need to use or buy a 4000 kit with the accessory to make it easy to hold like a pen, and that kit increases the price to 4x the Dremel 100.  However, if you need the extra torque, but not enough to require a die grinder, this can meet the needs between.

There is a review here with a compendium of tear downs and repairs for various Dremel models:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B002BAHF64/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1&isremote=0

annyone have a 4000 series for a review? im looking to buy 1 for long time
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:09:46 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:40 am »
to be frank what i dont get? i got a big Hitachi hand grinder, big amature big bearing big everything, same price as my knockoff. now this dremel is 3-4X more expensive, smaller everything. what kind of amature they are putting in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf