Author Topic: 10x probe recommendation  (Read 3410 times)

Offline HextejasTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
10x probe recommendation
« on: January 27, 2018, 03:04:37 pm »
As the subject states I need one and I see all kinds at all prices. My budget is $20.00 but could increase that if necessary.
My scope is my 1st one, a self made DSO 138.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: 10x probe recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 04:02:28 pm »
I bough some Hantek PP150 probes a few years ago.  They are still holding up fine.   

https://youtu.be/buG-H_LZH0U

The following users thanked this post: Hextejas

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:12:48 pm »
As the subject states I need one and I see all kinds at all prices. My budget is $20.00 but could increase that if necessary.
My scope is my 1st one, a self made DSO 138.
With that scope, any 10:1 probe would suffice, you can pick them up very  cheaply.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Peabody

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 05:21:07 pm »
Anything you buy is going to be more capable than your scope.  I found a P6000 probe, which I think is 10 MHz, for about $6 when I built my DSO150, and it works fine.  You'll also find a P6020, P6040,...,P6100 in that price range.  Here's a Bangood offering, also available from their US warehouse for a couple bucks more:

https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-P6100-Oscilloscope-100MHz-PKCATI-BNC-Clip-Probes-Clip-Cable-p-1157611.html?rmmds=detail-top-buytogether-auto__2&cur_warehouse=CN

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:23:30 pm by Peabody »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:23:45 pm »
MP Jones in Florida blows out their 20 Mhz 1-10x probes for $2.95 once and a while (right now) and I add a few to my orders. If nothing else its a nice light weight cable with a BNC connector that I attach mini grabbers and alligator clips to for the bench, when I don't need a real probe.

http://www.mpja.com/20MHz-Oscilloscope-Probe/productinfo/15085+TE

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »
The banggood type probes do not use resistive co-ax, they fake it using a ~100R resistor in the compensation box (DC resistance in 1X mode is approx. 100 ohms). This means that anything with a fast edge will ring due to the lack of damping in the cable. Unfortunately this makes them worthless for many uses - I was hoping that any issues with them would be confined to bandwidth or physical quality but they were worse than expected.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:20:49 am »
The banggood type probes do not use resistive co-ax, they fake it using a ~100R resistor in the compensation box (DC resistance in 1X mode is approx. 100 ohms). This means that anything with a fast edge will ring due to the lack of damping in the cable. Unfortunately this makes them worthless for many uses - I was hoping that any issues with them would be confined to bandwidth or physical quality but they were worse than expected.
Well its always been my understanding that the coax cable was just that coax and the 10:1 was achieved via 1M resistor switched in and out of series with the probe tip via the switch in the probe handle, I have no idea where you got the notion about resistive coax cable and a 100ohm resistor from?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:05:04 am »
Well its always been my understanding that the coax cable was just that coax and the 10:1 was achieved via 1M resistor switched in and out of series with the probe tip via the switch in the probe handle, I have no idea where you got the notion about resistive coax cable and a 100ohm resistor from?
It's fairly well known.   I think the Hantek probes are still about $10/ea.  These could be used with a better scope down the road.   

Offline HextejasTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 07:17:02 am »
That's very impressive Joe, so I went and bought one. Not much risk.
I also couldn't make up my mind on the Banggood and the MP Jones so I bought them also. I'll wind up sending 2 back.
Thanks for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:21:26 am by Hextejas »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 08:59:55 am »

Do a spice simulation of a voltage step into that circuit, and watch the transmission line "ring"!

FFI, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:32 am »
It's fairly well known.   I think the Hantek probes are still about $10/ea.  These could be used with a better scope down the road.
Thanks Joe, I think i'll grab some of those next time I'm after cheap probes.

For those confused about the 100 ohm thing, if you measure the DC resistance of a probe in 1X mode it'll normally be a few hundred ohms - this is from the (deliberately) lossy co-ax used to damp down ringing from the impedance mismatch such a probe will invariably present to the circuit/scope input.
In the case of the banggood probes (or others which look identical - mine came from amazon) normal co-ax was used instead, probably as it was cheaper, and the probe DC resistance was from a lumped element SMD resistor in the compensation box rather than distributed resistance in a lossy co-ax cable. As the damping resistance has to be distributed to work correctly the probes were absolutely hopeless when measuring fast edges - the reflections seen on the scope were clearly from the probe rather than the circuit. See the links others have given about how probes work - it's not immediately obvious!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf