Author Topic: Tektronix RSA3408A RTSA battery replacement  (Read 698 times)

Offline G0HZUTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tektronix RSA3408A RTSA battery replacement
« on: December 14, 2021, 11:31:48 pm »
Hi, I've had one of these Tek RSA3408A RTSAs on my bench for a number of years now and this weekend the onboard coin cell battery finally died and the RTSA gave the classic battery error message on bootup about incorrect data press F1 to continue. It is possible to keep using it if a keyboard is fitted and F1 is pressed. It does bleat a message about the time/date being wrong and this can be tweaked as usual under its OS (Windows XP). However, I obviously wanted to fit a new battery...

To my surprise there is nothing in the service manual about this battery, no info about the location of it or a part number.  To cut a long story short I solved the issue of finding the coin cell location by looking in the RSA3408B service manual. It still doesn't get a mention anywhere but the cell holder is visible on the CPU board diagram. This is the vertical plug in board with an onboard fan that sits just behind the front panel.

The coin cell is hiding behind a couple of metal card guides, so to see it these have to be removed. (Easy, just 4 screws)

The battery in mine was a CR2032 with a white label stuck on it saying "Li-MnO2 DISPOSE OF PROPERLY"

Once the location of the battery is known it is actually quite easy to replace it. It took a bit of fiddling to get the new battery to clip back in place but this was an easy job overall.

It's just a shame it isn't shown in the service manual! I've started this thread purely to help anyone else who ends up googling for battery info about the Tek RSA3408A. The picture below shows the view from the rear of the instrument and this CPU board is right behind the front panel of the analyser on the top side of the instrument.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf