Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3999442 times)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #8750 on: August 21, 2023, 04:54:53 pm »
We can't give any recommendations on specific tester clones at the moment because many of them come with alternative MCUs and a poorly adapted firmware. Some lack the self-adjustment feature, and there are measurement issues with ESR and other values. The most important thing is to get a tester with a genuine ATmega.

ok then what is the recommended product to get? not bare board

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #8751 on: August 21, 2023, 07:41:15 pm »
Any tester clone with a genuine ATmega, as I already explained.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8752 on: August 21, 2023, 09:44:56 pm »
Any tester clone with a genuine ATmega, as I already explained.

well, I need to buy from amazon this time since it deals with customs automatically for us in Jordan without headache.

I think I should just get the H version: https://www.amazon.com/Transistor-Aideepen-Multi-Function-Capacitor-Resistor/dp/B07RZRSBC5/?th=1

All I need to to check caps and their ESR (or ESL if possible?) reasonably accurate... no need to update it if it does the job well.

if you know any store selling a superior version with genuine atmel MCU please link it.

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8753 on: August 22, 2023, 02:01:08 am »
Instead of playing the lottery and very possibly losing (who knows what's inside that "LCR-Txx" thing!), why not just buy a dedicated ESR meter instead? Sounds like you need a DE-5000 or something like that, not the component analyzer that this thread is about.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #8754 on: August 22, 2023, 05:06:49 am »
Instead of playing the lottery and very possibly losing (who knows what's inside that "LCR-Txx" thing!), why not just buy a dedicated ESR meter instead? Sounds like you need a DE-5000 or something like that, not the component analyzer that this thread is about.

well, a component tester is more versatile and offers much more than just an esr meter + cheaper. i am not a hardcore user anyway.

i searched for a professionally made component tester but could not find one, only the one in this thread and its clones are available.

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #8755 on: August 22, 2023, 08:11:41 am »
I've recently used (not mine) a TC-7 and a TC-7H. Both used non ATmega processors and the TC-7H didn't even have a self calibration routine.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8756 on: August 22, 2023, 08:20:24 am »
VEGETA Currently these models are not available on Amazon, but you can focus on buying these clones with a solid case and sufficient functionality. At least until that time, none of the buyers complained that a non-original ATMEGA328 was installed on the board.

BSIDE ESR02 PRO Transistor SMD Diode Triode Capacitor MOSFET Resistor Inductance LCR ESR
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MKRBW2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_68KT99GVRAE5G0C3K6FZ?psc=1

MK-328 Transistor Capacitor ESR Inductance Resist LCR NPN PNP MOS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09132HM31/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_1AB3MQRWT310Y9BT5G86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Offline MaxaM

« Reply #8757 on: August 22, 2023, 11:04:46 am »
can someone kindly compile the latest firmware for GM328A
If you post your configs (or the diffs) it might be possible.

Thank you for your interest, currently I'm using the 1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz) version and I'm quite happy, I just wanted to browse and test the new version, if you can take a look at the 1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz) version and compile the 1.50 m with the same configurations I would be grateful. Thank you!

Offline moimem

• Contributor
« Reply #8758 on: August 22, 2023, 04:07:02 pm »
Thank you for your interest, currently I'm using the 1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz) version and I'm quite happy, I just wanted to browse and test the new version, if you can take a look at the 1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz) version and compile the 1.50 m with the same configurations I would be grateful. Thank you!

GM328A_1.50mEnMod2(20Mhz)_UNTESTED!!!
 some faitures needed to be removed to fit the firmware in the flash, try at your own risk!
Unfortunatly the atmega328P cant fit all the faitures of the firmware, the best you can do is try to build your own firmware with the faitures you like, its very eazy and well documented in this thread,and  you have already the config files provided in 1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz).zip

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8759 on: August 22, 2023, 04:15:15 pm »
You will not be able to compile the same firmware as I did in 1.45Mod2 because the configuration files I put in the archive only for example.And also because this is a MODIFIED firmware and most of the author's source files have been changed.This is the main difference between the original firmware and modified. The most important thing is that these changes do not violate the functionality and proper operation of the author's algorithm. ;)

Offline moimem

• Contributor
« Reply #8760 on: August 22, 2023, 04:32:59 pm »
Thats true, i didnt use those exact files but used them as a base with the clones file in the firmware source to modify the stock config files of the 1.50m firmware, you can find attached those exact files

Offline MaxaM

« Reply #8761 on: August 22, 2023, 05:44:12 pm »
...try at your own risk!

Thank you guys for your help and excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by test at your own risk? If it doesn't work I can always reprogram with GM328A_1.45mEnMod2(20Mhz) and restore the device, right? Or could irreversible problems arise?
Finally, to program the atmega328p, in addition to the file GM328A_1.50mEnMod2(20Mhz)_UNTESTED.hex wouldn't I also need a file like "ComponentTester.eep"? Please explain to me... Thanks again!

Offline moimem

• Contributor
« Reply #8762 on: August 22, 2023, 11:21:58 pm »
what do you mean by test at your own risk?
its just a warning since i have only compiled the firmware and coudn't test it, you can always reflash any firmware if something go wrong. My bad for the missing attachement, here is the full firmware with the config files if you want to try compiling it yourselft.

Offline MaxaM

« Reply #8763 on: August 23, 2023, 10:40:45 am »
moimem THANK YOU!

Firmware tested and working, although I didn't quite understand the main differences with the 1.45m apart from the graphic aspect (honestly as colors and graphics I personally preferred the 1.45m) anyway everything works perfectly and the measurements are correct. Finally I was wondering: among the various firmware versions out there is there any that allows quartz testing? Thank you again for your time.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8764 on: August 23, 2023, 11:16:41 am »
For testing quartz crystals you can run the k-firmware with the SamplingADC feature or get a tester with the extended frequency counter option (e.g. Hiland M644, supported by both OSHW firmwares). BTW, there are many options for the m-firmware to change/optimize the user interface for your needs, including colors.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 11:20:16 am by madires »

The following users thanked this post: MaxaM

Offline vitiv

« Reply #8765 on: August 23, 2023, 12:00:18 pm »
Hi I'm new here. After several days reading this thread, I have finally reached the end, with many doubts, different from those before I started reading.
I have a kit on the way from china (supposedly a Mega328 DIP) and just realized I don't know what type of screen it is. Does anyone know how to distinguish them by photo? I attach one.

On the other hand, after following years of answers in the thread, it seems that the m328 is in a terminal state, lack of stock, lack of memory...
Has anyone thought of creating a pcb with all the new options and a mega644/1284? It may be that for all the options there are no entries but it occurs to me to leave one empty and create plug-in modules, for example.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:03:29 pm by vitiv »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8766 on: August 23, 2023, 01:55:22 pm »
You have an AY-AT/GM328A with an ST7735 based display. If the display PCB has an MCU then it's an ST7735 semi-compatible. There are already testers with ATmega644 (e.g. Hiland M644), but please feel free to design a new PCB.

The following users thanked this post: vitiv

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8767 on: August 23, 2023, 02:03:54 pm »
There are already testers with ATmega644 (e.g. Hiland M644), but please feel free to design a new PCB.
There is no need to develop a new PCB, since a simple DIP28-TQFP adapter for ATMega644/1284 can be made for this clone. ;)

Offline vitiv

« Reply #8768 on: August 23, 2023, 03:13:35 pm »
You have an AY-AT/GM328A with an ST7735 based display. If the display PCB has an MCU then it's an ST7735 semi-compatible.

Do they only differ by looking at whether it has the MCU?  :scared:

There are already testers with ATmega644 (e.g. Hiland M644), but please feel free to design a new PCB.

Yeah, I feel free to design a new PCB, but I haven't designed one in 40 years, what I don't have is the spirit. :o The Hiland M644 there is no way to get it and your extra options are missing. :-//

There is no need to develop a new PCB, since a simple DIP28-TQFP adapter for ATMega644/1284 can be made for this clone. ;)

Yes, I already saw the adapter, but unused pins remain and you have to change the code. If I see myself with strength, surely I will get one to test, but one is already old, sees badly and makes more fatal errors than successes.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8769 on: August 23, 2023, 03:39:57 pm »
You have an AY-AT/GM328A with an ST7735 based display. If the display PCB has an MCU then it's an ST7735 semi-compatible.
Do they only differ by looking at whether it has the MCU?  :scared:

Both come usually with a 3.3V LDO and a level-shifter. One is a genuine ST7735 display, and the other has an additional MCU to emulate the ST7735.

Offline MaxaM

« Reply #8770 on: August 23, 2023, 03:44:51 pm »
For testing quartz crystals you can run the k-firmware...

About firmware K and related files for compilation (config.h, config_328.h, Makefile) do you have any links where I can retrieve it? I would appreciate it...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8771 on: August 23, 2023, 05:21:46 pm »
Source code: https://github.com/kubi48/TransistorTester-source/tree/master/trunk
Dokumentation: https://github.com/kubi48/TransistorTester-documentation
Settings for the k-firmware are all done in the Makefile.

Offline Fuzzy Star

• Contributor
« Reply #8772 on: August 23, 2023, 10:52:37 pm »
...I didn't quite understand the main differences with the 1.45m apart from the graphic aspect (honestly as colors and graphics I personally preferred the 1.45m)
Download the latest firmware source from here:
https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Firmware/m-firmware
Then open the 'changes' file to see the change log of each version.
Also you might open and examine these files to get familiar with the options you have: config_328.h, config.h, Makefile

Offline MaxaM

« Reply #8773 on: August 24, 2023, 02:42:18 pm »
Also you might open and examine these files to get familiar with the options you have: config_328.h, config.h, Makefile

Sorry, honestly I have never edited a Makefile, I would need your help, to activate
SamplingADC for quartz test what should I put in the Makefile?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8774 on: August 25, 2023, 08:06:21 am »
It's already enabled.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf