Author Topic: Soldering iron  (Read 239 times)

Offline Bob nTopic starter

Soldering iron
« on: September 16, 2024, 03:20:15 am »
Hi,
many months ago i got the Jaycar CAT.NO: TS1465 25 Watt soldering iron, but after using it for many months i have found many faults with it.
1. its too low powered.
2. in the middle of soldering it will stop melting solder and won't do anything.
3. its not hot enough.
I have been looking into other soldering irons so i can get a new one that will faithfully serve me in whatever soldering task i need to do, these are the ones i am thinking about:

-Jaycar Duratech 48W Temperature Controlled Soldering Station CAT.NO: TS1620

-Altronics Micron Economy 40W Soldering Station

-Altronics Micron Combination 60W Soldering & 90W Vacuum Desoldering Station

-Altronics Micron Lead Free Soldering Station 80W

This one seems seems to be really good quality and convenient and is perfect size and seems great:

- FixHub  Power Series Portable Soldering Station SKU: IF145-494-1

Which soldering iron out of these do you thing would work well and which soldering iron would you recommend?

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
Re: Soldering iron
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2024, 04:36:55 am »
You don't say what kind of things you're doing with it, but for general electronic work the Pine64 Pinecil is a good and inexpensive choice.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pinecil-v2

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:43:15 am »
I would use the soldering iron for general use, like through hole, SMD,desoldering etc

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:50:26 am »
I would use the soldering iron for general use, like through hole, SMD,desoldering etc

So general *electronic* work i.e. very light on the scale of what some people solder e.g. 200 Amp copper busbars.

The Pinecil is great for what you list.

« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:45:41 am »
Have you used the Pinecil before?
What are the pros and cons of it.I'm questioning the Pincel because if it costs just $26 my thinking is that it won't work well...

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:30:04 am »
Have you used the Pinecil before?
What are the pros and cons of it.I'm questioning the Pincel because if it costs just $26 my thinking is that it won't work well...

Yeah, I've got one, It's great for what it is and my occasional light use on, as you describe, through hole and small SMD components, joining bits of wire to each other or to plugs/sockets etc.

There are plenty of reviews around.

Note that in the 2nd video, the iron that does a lot better on the huge pad (MX5200) costs $1000.

>  FixHub  Power Series Portable Soldering Station SKU: IF145-494-1

I'm sure that's better if you don't mind spending AU$460!

Someone compares them here:

https://hackaday.com/2024/09/12/review-ifixits-fixhub-may-be-the-last-soldering-iron-you-ever-buy/

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:14:00 am »
I can also vouch for the PineCil, mine has been great.  I power mine with a discarded HP laptop USB-C supply.  It technically also works from my Kmart USB phone charger, but at dramatically reduced wattage :D

Get the fat tips set; use the biggest tip you can fit on any job (narrow tips are so much harder to use because of their low thermal conductivity).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf