Author Topic: Exposing The Flaw In Our Phone System - Veritasium video  (Read 195 times)

NiHaoMike and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Exposing The Flaw In Our Phone System - Veritasium video
« on: October 03, 2024, 09:46:39 am »
Exposing The Flaw In Our Phone System
Veritasium

Surprised?  ;D

TL;DR for those not watching the video, a demo of impersonating a mobile phone call and/or rerouting it, with no info other than your phone number.  Also location tracking without GPS and all the fun.  Requires buying/renting SS7 access services, which should not be anonymous, but still, a 3rd party can spy on your calls, texts, geo-location.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 09:48:24 am by RoGeorge »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Exposing The Flaw In Our Phone System - Veritasium video
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2024, 10:35:18 am »
Nope! SS7 security issues are known for a long time (the protocol wasn't designed with security in mind). BTW, Karsten Nohl demonstrated that in 2016 in 60 Minutes (https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-hacking-your-phone/) and at several CCC congresses, e.g. https://media.ccc.de/v/31c3_-_6122_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201412271830_-_mobile_self-defense_-_karsten_nohl (in 2014). Just cheap clickbaiting.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
Re: Exposing The Flaw In Our Phone System - Veritasium video
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:23:33 am »
I wouldn’t call that “cheap clickbaiting”. Many videos — including a large portion of Veritasium’s — have clickbaity titles. But that’s just a consequence of being on the algorithm’s treadmill. I wouldn’t hold that against their concent. The content is solid and not cheap sensationalism. Note he even made effort to move away from typical sensationalistic themes: he explained the whys, sketched this as a consequence of structural and organizational complexity instead of malice or ignorance, and shown work is actively done to amend the problem.

Take the right perspective. For you or me that kind of attack, and weakness of infrastructure in general, is something obvious. So that may look as painting an ordinary thing like a major discovery. But we are special. We are exceptional among 8 billion people on this planet. We were lucky enough to dive into a topic, most people never even had a chance to scratch the surface of. Look from their perspective.

Compared to the infamous electricity incident, I find this video very well made and valuable. And uncomparably better to what a typical journalist would do: post a fear inspiring, oversimplified, half-wrong article in a major newspaper, removing all the context and skipping all parts that could disturb the choosen bias. In the best scenario spreading misinformation, in the worst case making lawmakers take action.
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf