Author Topic: August Windows security update breaks dual boot on Linux systems  (Read 547 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: August Windows security update breaks dual boot on Linux systems
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2024, 06:04:32 pm »
It's kind of silly since Secure Boot is broken anyway. My advice would be to move from dual-boot to linux running Windows in a VM. This limits Windows' blast radius and is less a hassle.

The following users thanked this post: Gyro, I wanted a rude username

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2024, 12:40:11 pm »
From https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23H2#3377msgdesc:
August 2024 security update might impact Linux boot in dual-boot setup devices
The August 2024 Windows security update applies a Secure Boot Advanced Targeting (SBAT) setting to devices that run Windows to block old, vulnerable boot managers. This SBAT update will not be applied to devices where dual booting is detected. On some devices, the dual-boot detection did not detect some customized methods of dual-booting and applied the SBAT value when it should not have been applied.

Usually updates are meant to fix things. But at Microsoft it's the other way around. >:D

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2024, 06:10:04 pm »
The one piece of good news here, is most dual boot users are more keen on Linux than they are on Windows. When M$ angers this crowd they're a lot more likely to say "**** it, I'm getting M$ out of my life full stop" than to let Linux slip away instead. If their intention was to make things harder for Linux distros as competitor OS's to their's, then Microsoft may have score a serious own-goal here.

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 06:56:06 pm »
It's kind of silly since Secure Boot is broken anyway. My advice would be to move from dual-boot to linux running Windows in a VM. This limits Windows' blast radius and is less a hassle.

Does not work so good for gaming. That is the only reason I have Windows 10 in a dual boot mode on one of my systems. I like me some gaming now and then.  :)

And almost every time I start it up to play a game it pisses me off with yet another update or other bullshit, that might be possible to turn off, but I don't want to go in depth to find out where.

I do have a second system (old laptop) running Windows 7 just for my fischertechnik Robopro stuff. Might work under wine, but that is also some trouble to get it up and running. Much easier to just use the separate laptop.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2024, 07:06:19 pm »
Does not work so good for gaming.
Thats why i bought a games console,plus it breaks the constant upgrade cycle every 6 months to play the latest game

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2024, 08:37:39 pm »
Hang on....

So NEW machines with a NEW (MS approved) UEFI firmware won't let a Linux with a vulnerable GRUB boot?

"...many Linux users say that their systems (running Ubuntu, ...) no longer boot after installing the August 2024 Windows updates on the Windows OS."     Why is MS f-ing with my firmware?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 08:41:19 pm by pqass »

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2024, 12:17:06 am »
because this is Trojan horse...  :)

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2024, 02:13:20 am »
because this is Trojan horse
not the latest ubuntu,thats a noble numbat