Author Topic: BNC Plug / Cable Question  (Read 1299 times)

Offline kaeveeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
BNC Plug / Cable Question
« on: September 12, 2020, 06:56:50 pm »
I have TE 2-5329445-1 BNC Plugs. They are 50Ω connectors.

https://www.te.com/global-en/product-2-5329445-1.html

The datasheet says these connectors are compatible with RG 124, RG 140, RG 210, RG 59, RG 59A, RG 59B, RG 62, RG 62A, RG 62B cables.

I remember reading in the forum about using RG 59 with a 50Ω connector leads to impedance mismatch. How can a 50Ω connector compatible with RG 59 cable?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:47:13 am by kaevee »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: BNC Plug / Cable Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
The characteristic impedance through the short length of the BNC connectors is 50 ohms, but the dimensions of this plug are mechanically compatible with those higher-impedance cables.  Look at transmission line theory to evaluate the effect of a few cm of mismatched line at your frequency of interest.  Note that there are actual 75 ohm BNC connectors that will mate with the more common 50 ohm BNCs, but 75 ohm N connectors will not mate with the 50 ohm connectors.  If you want to use 93 ohm RG-62 cable, there are no true 93 ohm BNCs.

The following users thanked this post: kaevee, girishv

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:25:00 pm »
Note: I suppose this post belongs to General chat. I request the moderators to move this thread.
no, this is rightful in beginner section, since this is relating to RF this is also rightful for being here. General section when you want to talk bullsheet (politically or emotionally motivated subjective topics), imho.

I remember reading in the forum about using RG 59 with a 50Ω connector leads to impedance mismatch. How can a 50Ω connector compatible with RG 59 cable?
they are mechanically compatible, and also in some electrically low frequency application, they are perfectly usable. near DC, anything will be compatible to anything. at high enough frequency, even rated at specified impedance, if you assemble them wrong, too much solder or flux, few cuts here and there, they will show up as discontinuity or impedance mismatch, ymmv.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: kaevee, girishv

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:33:03 am »
I seem to recall that lots of pro-cinema gear uses BNC for SDI (a standard protocol for high-resolution video data used in professional broadcast and cinema), and for some historical reason there is a mismatch there between connector and cable - I think they used 50 ohm BNCs on all the gear but use 75 ohm system (and cable) impedance, or at least used to.

I think the reason was that they wanted to use the 75 ohm cable common in telco/broadcast/distribution, but historically only 50 ohm BNC connectors existed, and they just stuck with it because the impact is not to big anyways. (but don't quote me on that - this is just a hunch)
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

The following users thanked this post: kaevee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:43:13 am »
Note: I suppose this post belongs to General chat. I request the moderators to move this thread.
no, this is rightful in beginner section, since this is relating to RF this is also rightful for being here. General section when you want to talk bullsheet (politically or emotionally motivated subjective topics), imho.

they are mechanically compatible, and also in some electrically low frequency application, they are perfectly usable. near DC, anything will be compatible to anything. at high enough frequency, even rated at specified impedance, if you assemble them wrong, too much solder or flux, few cuts here and there, they will show up as discontinuity or impedance mismatch, ymmv.

For an uninitiated person, this can be quite confusing. I bought these connectors to make some custom 50Ω cables. It was too late by the time I realised they are compatible with 75Ω cables. The product had been already shipped.

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 12:58:08 pm »
For the small cables, the main difference is the hole for the cable. You could probably get away with making an RG58 cable with them. Maybe heat shrink the jacket to match the diameter. This will probably not be super great for impedance matching either but who knows.

You could make one and see how it performs.
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 01:19:55 pm »
OP:  what frequency range are you considering for these connections?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 01:42:23 pm »
For the small cables, the main difference is the hole for the cable. You could probably get away with making an RG58 cable with them. Maybe heat shrink the jacket to match the diameter. This will probably not be super great for impedance matching either but who knows.

You could make one and see how it performs.

Thanks. I will give a try.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 01:56:50 pm »
OP:  what frequency range are you considering for these connections?

I did not buy them for any specific purpose. One of these days while browsing for some other connectors, I found them on discount at attractive price. I thought of making some cables on my own and purchased a bunch of them. Later, I realized they are not compatible with RG58.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 03:24:44 pm »
For non-RF purposes (e.g. audio test equipment) low-loss versions of RG-59 can be useful for their lower capacitance per foot than 50 ohm cables.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf