Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?  (Read 263944 times)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?
« Reply #350 on: April 04, 2015, 04:54:36 am »
Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?

It turned into FPV.
Instead of talking to your buddy you fly with him.

The weird people used to play in the MHz band building antennas.

Now the weird people pay with FPV building antennas in the GHz band .
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline economist

• Contributor
« Reply #351 on: April 04, 2015, 05:44:49 am »
Well FWIW people get ham licenses so they can legally transmit on ~400MHz IIRC for longer range FPV stuff.

Exactly. That's what motivated me to get the license. Then, once I was into it, it seemed easiest to just take all three exams at once. So I've been an amateur extra for about a year and have never done anything other than fly RC. Will probably get into it some day when I have more time for another hobby.

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #352 on: July 26, 2015, 11:52:54 am »
Just got this jewel off Ebay. It's a Drake SSR-1 circa 1977ish. I posted the pic in the "What did you buy lately" thread but I'm going to be restoring it to like-new condition so I wanted to post more pics about that here. So far it works pretty well and it's a lot of fun to tune around. It needs basic cleaning and dust removal. It was around a smoker too because I can smell nicotine. Love the green glow, especially in a dark room.  :)

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2015, 12:07:08 pm »
Where would one go for information on ham radio and what can be done with it? Say can you use it for data or just audio? Would a UK Ham licence allow me to communicate with people in say Russia or do different countries have different allowed sections of the spectrum?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm only 32 so until I joined this forum only ever heard of ham radio as "and this was popular in the way back times" and not something that people actually still did.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #354 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:48 pm »
Where would one go for information on ham radio and what can be done with it? Say can you use it for data or just audio? Would a UK Ham licence allow me to communicate with people in say Russia or do different countries have different allowed sections of the spectrum?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm only 32 so until I joined this forum only ever heard of ham radio as "and this was popular in the way back times" and not something that people actually still did.

Here is a place I think you can start; http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra190/ra190.htm and http://rsgb.org/main/clubs-training/for-students/foundation/

You can do all sorts of things.  You can operate HF single side band to speak with hams all over the world.  You can learn morse code, the most basic of digital modes.  There are digital keyboard mode such as PSK31.  As mentioned, RC planes, boats, cars.  Some like to build things, radios, antennas.  There are those that enjoy doing emergency communications.  There are clubs you can join.  There is VHF/UHF operations such as working ham radio satellites. moon bounce, meteor scatter and FM repeaters.

I tell new hams that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked.  None of us come out of the womb knowing everything about ham radio or even what it is.  Probably the best place to start is to use your Google Fu and see if you can find a club in your area.  Clubs are a great resource of information and you should find plenty of people that will answer your questions and help you get started.

Tom, NW0LF
Amateur Extra license class and ARRL Volunteer Examiner Liaison 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:05 pm »
Google Fu and see if you can find a club in your area.  Clubs are a great resource of information and you should find plenty of people that will answer your questions and help you get started.

Thanks for all the info, especially that bit. I think been born pretty much as the public internet went live and (as far as I can remember anyway) always having mailing lists and BBSs about gives me a blind spot to the local club options lol.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2015, 01:18:27 pm »

Amateur Radio is an International service,so Hams can talk to anywhere in the world,providing they are using a frequency which has propagation to that place,or is linked via the Internet (IRLP,Echolink).
Ham allocations do vary slightly in different countries,but,by & large,the major bands are the same.
Voice,data of various kinds,Slow Scan TV,Fast Scan TV.
And via HF,VHF,UHF,microwaves,you name it.
Just Google "Ham Radio",& you will be overwhelmed with information.

P.S.In the UK,the "Foundation Licence" is very easy to obtain.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:21:13 pm by vk6zgo »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: July 26, 2015, 10:41:53 pm »
Some more internal pics of the SSR-1. Also checked the 1 MHz referance - not too bad for most likely never having been touched in ~ 38 years.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #358 on: July 26, 2015, 11:41:13 pm »
That SSR-1 is a sweet bit of gear. You will enjoy it.

At the moment I am in the process of restoring 2 Heathkits HW-101's. Both are in pretty sad shape. But will come together.
On another note just picked up a Kenwood TS-2000. Yep, a shack in a box rig...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: July 27, 2015, 03:37:13 am »
Damn it! now I'm going to have to clean the mouse poo out of my old "Duck" fix the power supply & get it back into service!

It was the first receiver I had which had good reset accuracy---you could set it on a frequency,listen for a while,go awy & surf the band for a while,then come back to the same frequency & be pretty much "spot on."
Of course,the Racals at work would do that,but they weren't affordable.

My old Regen drifted all over the place,The "Number 11" transceiver wasn't much better.
The HRO was probably OK,but translating frequency from the graph on the front of the coilbox to dial readings got a bit old after a while.

And you could carry the SSR1 around with you.
I remember listening to 20m with the whip while I was putting down pavers in the back yard.

My FT301 has a much better receiver for the Ham bands,but there are still times the "Duck" would come in handy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »
Here's the final cleaned-up version. Front panel has been taken off and cleaned in warm soapy water. All knobs ultrasonically cleaned. Inside cleaned. It really looks cool!

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2015, 12:29:03 pm »
Just some ruminations from my defunct brain. I was heavily into CB many years back in the 80's and I loved my President rigs when the HAM's got all miffy and said CB was going to kill their hobby, it never did. I once went out with the daughter of a HAM ( G4ODM ), he was known as Ayatollah on CB.

I am surprised that not one mention is or has been made of Hamsphere on the net, it may not be a real radio set up but for someone who wants to give it a go and learn it is at least an option without a licence being needed, if you can put up with everyone talking over yours !. Yes I did join some years back but to be honest trying to have a chat with that going on just annoyed me and I walked away, but it is as I said a way to get into it with no licence required until you think you have what is needed to take one.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2015, 06:04:23 pm »
Here's the final cleaned-up version. Front panel has been taken off and cleaned in warm soapy water. All knobs ultrasonically cleaned. Inside cleaned. It really looks cool!

Very nice indeed!

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2015, 10:29:43 am »

Probably the main reason younger people aren't into ham radio is that it isn't a cheap hobby.....but it's far from being dead.

http://www.arrl.org/radio-technology-topics
I would have to disagree with you. I am 14 years old and i am studying for my foundation license and i do agree that younger people aren't really interested in ham radio but i don't think its a cost thing. All my friends are interested in video games (like every other person my age) and a gaming console costs about $500 and the games cost about $100 each. So over time if you have 10 games that adds up to about $1500. The same thing with a gaming pc. It (over time) would cost about $1500. For that amount of money you could get a very good ham setup. What I think draws kids away from ham is that it is not a very popular hobby and you need to learn a lot of stuff and kids don't want that. They want something that is easy and since everyone else is interested in games. it is a great "social lubricant" so it is easy for kids to talk to each other about the latest video game thing.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #364 on: August 06, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »
Good luck on getting your Foundation license.  The hobby surely needs the younger generation like you to keep the hobby going after us old farts die off.  With so many different aspects to the hobby, i'm sure you won't have any problems finding aspects that get you going.  As for gaming being a social lubricant-I would rather see that than alcohol/drugs.

By the way, if you want to see my modest setup, you can look me up on QRZ.com.  The 3 radios listed came to about $1500 USD, only the VHF radio was bought new.

Tom, NW0LF
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #365 on: August 06, 2015, 06:16:31 pm »
I have (or had, I think the license is expired now because I didn't renew it) a General Class license. I was big into morse code in junior high school, but lost interest over the years.

Ham radio used to be the ultimate electronics hobby. I mean it was the Big Time thing if you wanted to experiment with electronics. You really had to know your shit.

I realized the other day, I never, and I mean never, hear about a ham hobbyist on electronics forums. I'm sure they have their forums, but it seems to be a dying hobby. I don't know if computers are killing it or the internet, but something happened, for me anyway. I just didn't see the challenge in it at some point. Maybe it was that you could go buy the most elegantly engineered radios and given that, there was no more challenge to it.  :(

Thoughts?
While I haven't read the whole thread, I can assure you those of us who have our electronics hobby centered around amateur radio are plentiful in number.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #366 on: August 06, 2015, 06:35:43 pm »
I am 14 years old and i am studying for my foundation license and i do agree that younger people aren't really interested in ham radio but i don't think its a cost thing.

Considering you can get 2-Meter rigs for $29 on Amazon.

My oldest boy got his Technician ticket at 12 years old!   :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #367 on: August 06, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »
I am 14 years old and i am studying for my foundation license and i do agree that younger people aren't really interested in ham radio but i don't think its a cost thing.

Considering you can get 2-Meter rigs for $29 on Amazon.

My oldest boy got his Technician ticket at 12 years old!   :-+

:-+ :-+

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:30 am »
Nothing happened to Ham radio. Ham rigs are more expensive than ever. People are buying it. Major manufacturers are still there.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2015, 04:25:39 am »
Many regard the 1950's as the beginning of amateur radio's golden years, due in part to millions of military radios hitting the surplus market and rapid advances in technology.  That thought ignores more recent history though.

Let's look at the number of U.S. amateur radio licensees since the 1950's.  This is the number of licensees per million population:

1956829 per MM
1958915 per MM
19631,321 per MM
19701,316 per MM
19911,953 per MM
20142,277 per MM

Today, there are over 700,000 amateur radio licensees in the United States.  You can see that for over 60 years, the number of ham radio operators is growing faster than the national population.  Anyone who thinks that ham radio is dying out is ill informed.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2015, 05:41:25 am »
I just wanted to say that anybody who wants to check out the radio spectrum should pick up one of the little RTL2832 USB dongles. They typically can receive 24-1766 MHz unmodified and can be made to receive HF too without too much fuss, or you can use an upconverter. I have paid an average of $12 for mine. They get a lot of use.

Search on youtube for "rtl2832" or see attached pic to see what I mean.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline MikeW

• Regular Contributor
  • Self confessed noob
« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:07 am »
Many regard the 1950's as the beginning of amateur radio's golden years, due in part to millions of military radios hitting the surplus market and rapid advances in technology.  That thought ignores more recent history though.

Let's look at the number of U.S. amateur radio licensees since the 1950's.  This is the number of licensees per million population:

1956829 per MM
1958915 per MM
19631,321 per MM
19701,316 per MM
19911,953 per MM
20142,277 per MM

Today, there are over 700,000 amateur radio licensees in the United States.  You can see that for over 60 years, the number of ham radio operators is growing faster than the national population.  Anyone who thinks that ham radio is dying out is ill informed.

Does that data take into account the people who might have got a license in the sixties or whatever and don't use it anymore? I see they expire in a relatively short period of time, please ignore me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:28:37 pm by MikeW »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2015, 11:38:06 am »
While I haven't read the whole thread, I can assure you those of us who have our electronics hobby centered around amateur radio are plentiful in number.

Well that post was from two years ago.  :) But yea, I see that now, and thanks to this thread I renewed my license after the responses in the thread back then!

In other news, I got a new (old) radio coming off Ebay - a Kenwood R-1000. The seller stated it has one known issue - the mode switches stick and won't pop out like they should. I don't think that will be a huge problem to fix. I will post pics when it arrives.

It looks like this, although this is not the specific radio I bought -

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2015, 01:41:26 pm »
Woo hoo! on the renewal.  And woo hoo! on the radio too.   :-+

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
Nothing happened to Ham radio. Ham rigs are more expensive than ever. People are buying it. Major manufacturers are still there.
Considering inflation an Icom IC-7200 is around the cost of a Swan 500CX from 1974.
On a positive note, the Icom outperforms the Swan. However....
I enjoy my Swan 500CX on weekend morning rag chew....
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf