Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?  (Read 263947 times)

Offline RLBennett

• Contributor
Re: Whatever Happened to Ham Radio?
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »
I was stationed on a mountian top in Germany in the early 80s. It was the largest switch and microwave transmission facility in the European AutoVon phone system. Our back-up power included flooded cell battery plants, a fly-wheel generator and two giant diesel gen sets. A noisey power plant! All the equipment in the transmission and switch facility can now fit into 1/4 of space. All was either 50hz or 60hz stuff, no 400hz stuff like the mobile microwave radio I also worked with. I wish I could have hung antennas on that tower in Germany and a decent radio instead of the pos SB-104 I had.

Offline KM4FER

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #326 on: November 29, 2014, 03:51:53 am »

Well, it's still going for some of us.

Attached are some pics of my really, really crude junk box direct conversion receiver and a screenshot of the HDSDR program processing the output.

This is not IQ quadrature, just plain direct conversion to audio with only a high pass filter on the antenna ( 6ft wire ) to knock down the AM broadcasts and a low pass following the diode ring mixer.  There's all kinds of imaging and mixing going on here and the oscillator drifts all over the place but it's good enough to pick up a whole bunch of people sending code in the 40 meter band.  I can hear the code plainly enough but am so rusty at it that I can't make copy yet.

So, some of us are still interested in Ham Radio and some of us are still interested in designing/building equipment.

earl...

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2014, 10:57:48 am »
Looks good, nothing like home-brew!
Have you seen Eamon Skeltons articles in RadCom?  He has some nifty LO designs using some of the synthesiser modules, his book "How to build a transceiver" uses many of these modules. Nice series of articles and all constructed in real Ham "ugly' style but with good results on testing.
73 Robert
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #328 on: November 29, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »
I realise it's rather late in the day to the OP, but I don't think that ham radio will ever go away. Yes there will always be ebbs and flows, for example CB introduced many thousands to ham radio, but typically, as with any pastime, people only have so many hours in the day to persue discretionary things.

It is also true that many people just like to skit betwen one hobby and the next, once they've achieved a basic goal, that's it they go onto another. I see it in flying, many people spend an awful lot of money getting their private pilot licence and then finish, and lose interest.

I also believe that a large number of people try out hobbies like ham radio, and then lose interest for all manner of reasons. Perhaps it's just not for them, maybe they can't put up antennas, or they don't want to persue it further. Personally speaking, I tend to achieve a goal and then move on, no point in re-inventing the wheel. Contesting for example just doesn't interest me at all, but designing and making a new wireless device that no-one's ever done before does.

Interesting, too, that the word "wireless" was very untrendy for decades, in the "gramophone" area of the dictionary. And yet in the past decade or so it's suddenly become uber cool.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2014, 12:05:15 pm »
This video describes a 500mW 7 MHz transmitter built into a wind up torch.  The crank & generator produces enough output to power it without difficulty.  Its CW signal has been identified several hundred kilometres away.  The video includes the circuit which uses common parts.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2014, 01:32:30 am »
I've actually been reading up a bit here and there on ham radio and it would be something fun to play with. Most of it is still over my head as far as the technicalities go but it is very interesting.  Something I might actually pursue at some point.  I also like the idea of being able to transmit or receive signals to/from all sorts of soruces during a large blackout or perhaps some kind of disaster situation.   You can even talk to astronauts on the ISS when it passes by.  That's pretty cool right there. 

There is also a more modern version of ham radio these days usually referred to as mesh networking.  Basically people setting up various point to point wireless networks.  Governments and ISPs these days are taking away freedoms on the internet so it has sparked a new interest to try to be prepared if bad things happen.

So many hobbies that would be fun to get into, so little time and money.  :P

Online xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:08 pm »
Haven't posted in a while ... but I'm still hangin'  ;)

Doing mostly digital modes these days - JT65 & JT9. I completed a WAS using JT65 and am now trying to do a WAS using only JT9. I have 38 states now on JT9.

I bought a new FT-450D for the main shack so I can work two bands at once on the digital modes along with my FTDX-3000. I moved the older FT-450 to the living room where I have a Man-Cave setup along with a VHF/UHF radio (don't try this if you're married).

I have now worked 152 DXCCs and am looking forward to the upcoming Navassa DXpedition. Navassa is the number two most wanted DXCC and it's right in our backyard this time!  :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navassa_Island

So cheers to you all and happy electronics hobbying next year!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #332 on: December 28, 2014, 03:22:53 am »
I have limited bench space, but would be interested in getting a basic set to talk/comunicate with while Im doing boring work. Any good starting points for fairly active bands that dont need massive antennas? (I would be limited to a run of wire along the ceiling basically: small lab!

Im a total noob and have not a single clue!  O0

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: December 28, 2014, 03:43:31 am »
Can you buy and use (listen only) the equipment without a ham license?  It would be neat to mess around with and if it becomes something I want to get into more deeply then could get my license. 

A true ham probably makes their own equipment though, but I imagine to start you buy first.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #334 on: December 28, 2014, 03:50:25 am »
In Canada, it is not illegal to listen to anything. It is illegal to act upon certain things you might hear, or to profit from it.

That is the law in a very general sense in Canada, but there are some nuances of course but I don't know all of them so take my statement as very general.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #335 on: December 28, 2014, 04:09:06 am »
Ham radio communications are assumed to be "public". Anyone can listen at any time.
For that matter, many people listening is how ham radio works.

Clearly, you are not allowed to transmit without the appropriate license.
In most places you cannot purchase transmitting equipment without proof of license.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #336 on: December 28, 2014, 04:37:15 am »
I have limited bench space, but would be interested in getting a basic set to talk/comunicate with while Im doing boring work. Any good starting points for fairly active bands that dont need massive antennas? (I would be limited to a run of wire along the ceiling basically: small lab!

The best bands for casual listening during the day are 7 & 14 MHz.  3.5 & 7 are good at night.  144 MHz has local FM activity.  An outdoor antenna is best for the lower frequencies but an indoor antenna  (eg a loop or even bit of wire) will work if there's not too much local electrical noise. A 144 MHz antenna can be 50cm long and you could use one of those cheap Chinese handhelds you can get off eBay for short distances.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

• Super Contributor
« Reply #337 on: December 28, 2014, 06:53:32 pm »
A true ham probably makes their own equipment though, ...

Sadly, that isn't the case much anymore. Most of us are spoiled rotten now, although I do build my own antennas.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #338 on: December 28, 2014, 08:00:48 pm »
Interesting, too, that the word "wireless" was very untrendy for decades, in the "gramophone" area of the dictionary. And yet in the past decade or so it's suddenly become uber cool.
Ha! Hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. "Radio internet," or "tranny access," anyone?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #339 on: December 28, 2014, 08:50:02 pm »
Re Homebrew or lack of it in Ham circles, that is where microwave and QRP are gaining fans, I learn a lot by building especially when I break it (!!!) or it doesn't work first time. I am slowly learning to like fixing gear, it has taught me a lot.
Eamon Skeltons series of articles in RadCom (and now book) are a great example of what you can do piece at a a time.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #340 on: December 28, 2014, 11:11:35 pm »
A true ham probably makes their own equipment though, ...

Sadly, that isn't the case much anymore. Most of us are spoiled rotten now, although I do build my own antennas.  :)
+1-I've done a couple of kits in the past-a 70 cm fast scan ATV transceiver and a 20 Meter psk31 QRP transceiver.  Pretty much antennas only now.  Latest is a 40 Meter true Carolina Windom on the cheap--love it.  Thank God for Hamfests and Home Depot ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #341 on: December 29, 2014, 12:16:11 am »
I need to put one of my Arduinos to work in my shack, but I can't think of a good use for it for the ham ops I'm doing.  :(

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #342 on: December 29, 2014, 01:05:13 am »
I need to put one of my Arduinos to work in my shack, but I can't think of a good use for it for the ham ops I'm doing.  :(

Building an Arduino based iambic keyer for working CW mode would be a cool first project candidate.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23:13 am »
Building an Arduino based iambic keyer for working CW mode would be a cool first project candidate.

Yea, I need to use CW more for DX.  ;)

Here's a small project I did recently. Picked up a used Yaesu FT-5200 dual band transceiver. Had low output on VHF, but I managed to get the VHF output up to 30W. Supposed to be 50W max, but the hybrid VHF power amp isn't quite up to speed. Might get a replacement off Ebay but it's good enough for my needs.

It originally came equipped with genuine filament bulbs.  :) I decided to retrofit with LEDs. I chose orange LEDs for a modern Yaesu look. Had to make sure of the Bulb supply V and then calculate the needed limiting resistor for the LEDs. Came out quite well. Didn't have exactly the right resistor for 20mA but what I had gave 10mA for the LEDs and they are quite bright enough.

First pic is the original bulbs, second the LEDs. A little tricky to do in some places due to space (had SMD components ...) but I slogged through it.  8)

Offline colecaz

• AA7RD, Retired EE
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
Ham radio is still alive and well.  It's just these days the younger crowd is more into video games and instant gratification.  But hams still provide great public service and support for "general welfare" activities when disasters strike.  Bike rides, walks, marathons, they're all likely staffed by hams coordinating the supplies for the rest stations, first aid for the injured, and status for the event leaders.  And there are many ham organizations that are in coordination with local public safety and disaster relief organizations for backup during emergencies.

While the high frequency bands still see a lot of use (High Frequency being 3-30 MHz) the VHF and UHF bands around 145 and 440 MHz are where the new folks start.  There is no morse code requirement any more and passing the tests are a matter of getting some books (or online) and learning the rules.  There is still technical knowledge required for the higher licenses but you can get on the air with no technical knowledge at all.  In fact, a lot of people here in Arizona get their license to support their off-road activities where cell phones no longer work.  Ham repeater stations are on many mountaintops so it's possible to talk across extremely wide areas with just a low powered hand held radio.  Think walkie-talkie.  We call them Handie Talkies or HT's.  And it's all free after you get the equipment you want.

So ham radio is not dead, just overshadowed by the many other activities available now.  But if you have an interest in things technical, it's a place to learn and experiment with plenty of "Elmers" (mentors) to guide you.

Google "hamfest" or go to www.arrl.org for local ham contacts.  If you're on this forum you ought to be a ham.

Offline DrRich

« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2015, 01:07:00 pm »
I have been a Class A radio ham for some time, about 12 years. Generally, I only operate when I have built and or repaired something. I have little to no interest in just buying a brand new rig, brand new aerial, plugging it together and operating.

Ditto previous sentiments about "Johnson waving", I remember a Yaesu 1000MP owner getting very upset when my KW2000 (pre suffix) was praised by another operator for having superior audio. Made my day  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:13:04 pm by DrRich »

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #346 on: January 01, 2015, 09:00:43 pm »
Hey all!  8)

Been gone for a while, busy with ham radio! I got a brand new Yaesu FTdx-3000 and it's a killer transceiver. I've got a total of 130 countries worked and 94 confirmations towards a DXCC right now. With luck the other 6 confirmations are in the mail!

Also got into JT65 too. A little strange but it has the capability to do DX when no other modes can hack it.

Neat kit!  I make do with a Kenwood TS-50 (built into a flightcase as a go-box), a Yaesu FT-897 and a Yaesu FT-817 for the neat
little QRP ops.  For VHF I have an ancient Icom IC240 (actually the first trx I ever touched, given to me by its first and only owner) and a just slightly newer IC-260 all mode 2m set. Both Icoms had been in storage for like 25 years.  Connected to power they both worked like a charm on first try.  :)  Apparantly they used proper components (esp. caps) in the 1970s...

Wilko
PA1WBU

Offline BubbaMc

• Contributor
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2015, 04:42:07 pm »
I've been working lately to renew my commercial pilots licence. In doing so, I bought a scanner to assist getting my radio calls up to scratch. I thought about what else I might be able to receive, now that police channels are no longer analogue. One thing lead to another and now I'm determined to get my advanced amateur radio licence.

I completed a degree in Communications and Electronics Engineering back in 2007 (Curtin University). Having moved into industrial automation for my day job, my knowledge of communications theory and application has gotten quite a bit (very) rusty. Getting into amateur radio should be a great way to freshen up all of this knowledge. It's worth noting that throughout the communications components of my degree, amateur radio was not mentioned once. I'd mistakenly believed that it was equivalent to CB radio and never really looked into it.

In any event I'm hooked now. What a bloody great hobby you guys have. It's re-kindled my passion for electronics also.  :D

If you're on this forum you ought to be a ham.

Couldn't agree more with you mate!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2015, 05:18:12 pm »
I've been working lately to renew my commercial pilots licence. In doing so, I bought a scanner to assist getting my radio calls up to scratch. I thought about what else I might be able to receive, now that police channels are no longer analogue. One thing lead to another and now I'm determined to get my advanced amateur radio licence.

I completed a degree in Communications and Electronics Engineering back in 2007 (Curtin University).

I did it a different way around, in the 70s I went up ladder starting with the crystal set, then TTL and computer programming, and was designing and building my own computers by the late 70s. In 1981 I received my ham radio licence, and went to university to do electronic engineering. After pledging never to do another exam in my life, I relented a few decades later and received my private pilot licence in 2013.

I realise that there are different schools of thought on this, but obscurely I found that learning the patois for my FRTOL (UK aviation radio licence) was much harder than I anticipated, despite having a ham radio licence. Knowing the phonetic alphabet was beneficial for me, but that was about where it ended. Other pilots who have ham licences do have diametrically opposed views to mine on this though.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2015, 04:51:53 am »
Well FWIW people get ham licenses so they can legally transmit on ~400MHz IIRC for longer range FPV stuff.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf