Author Topic: Run Sonnet Lite on Linux  (Read 2546 times)

Offline johnhTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Run Sonnet Lite on Linux
« on: October 09, 2023, 07:09:38 am »
Has anybody has sucess in installing sonnet lite on linux.  I have tried to install it on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS  but it fails

wine msiexec /i setup_sonnetlite1853.msi
0024:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
0024:err:richedit:ReadStyleSheet skipping optional destination
0134:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeDirectory error reading registry key for installroot
0024:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"SonnetInstallAfterFolderSetupCustomAction" returned 1603
0024:err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"ExecuteAction" returned 1603

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Run Sonnet Lite on Linux
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 09:08:06 am »
Have you checked this older thread and the link near the top?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/howto-run-sonnet-lite-on-osx-under-wine/

The software itself is definitely outside my comfort zone, but that suggests that it should be doable. Also Google suggests that the authors are at least "Linux-aware" so might be approachable, but one of their first suggestions is bound to be to get onto Ubuntu's latest version irrespective of its non-LTS status.

MarkMLl

Offline Weston

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:00:46 pm »
From the above linked post, someone got Sonnet Lite working on Linux in 2016.

However, the fully licensed version of Sonnet has a linux version and Sonnet Lite explicitly does not have a linux version. It would not surprise me if at some point a "feature" was added to Sonnet Lite to stop it from working on linux under Wine.

If you are just looking for a way to model transmission line structures in linux, check out openEMS. I have been using it for some stuff at it works quite well, although there is a bit of a learning curve to it.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:38:14 pm »
Use a Windows VM and be done with it. Unless software has been tested to work under Wine, it likely won't work at all.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline johnhTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:49:23 pm »
Have you checked this older thread and the link near the top?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/howto-run-sonnet-lite-on-osx-under-wine/

The software itself is definitely outside my comfort zone, but that suggests that it should be doable. Also Google suggests that the authors are at least "Linux-aware" so might be approachable, but one of their first suggestions is bound to be to get onto Ubuntu's latest version irrespective of its non-LTS status.

MarkMLl

Yes. i had seen that thread

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 09:09:20 pm »
Use a Windows VM and be done with it. Unless software has been tested to work under Wine, it likely won't work at all.
You may have at one point in the distant past tried some software that didn't work, and there certainly is still software that doesn't work, or requires fiddling to get to work, but I highly doubt you have the data to back up such a sweeping statement. In my experience, a lot of software, especially smaller applications, works out of the box now without any fiddling. The days of complicated setup instructions are mostly gone unless you are trying to run something big like Altium or Adobe Lightroom. That's a lot less hassle than maintaining a complete Windows install including licensing, updates, virus scanner etc in a virtual machine, and dealing with shared folders to transfer data over. The only time I use a virtual machine these days is if I use software that needs to talk to hardware, like the software for the UNI-T UT-330C environmental logger.

If you read the instructions in the linked thread, it's just about setting the Windows version in Wine to Windows 7, running the setup, and then running the application. I would try that before messing with VMs, which is a last resort before resorting to dual-booting.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:19:51 pm »
You may have at one point in the distant past tried some software that didn't work, and there certainly is still software that doesn't work, or requires fiddling to get to work, but I highly doubt you have the data to back up such a sweeping statement. In my experience, a lot of software, especially smaller applications, works out of the box now without any fiddling. The days of complicated setup instructions are mostly gone unless you are trying to run something big like Altium or Adobe Lightroom. That's a lot less hassle than maintaining a complete Windows install including licensing, updates, virus scanner etc in a virtual machine, and dealing with shared folders to transfer data over.
Setting up a VM with Windows is super easy. Likely you already have a license that came with the computer. Virus scanner is also not a problem and shared folders are easely solved using Samba on the Linux host system.

The thread is from 2016. That is 7 years ago; the current version of Sonnet Lite says it needs Windows 10 or Windows 11.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline null-a

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 05:49:52 pm »
Has anybody has sucess in installing sonnet lite on linux.  I have tried to install it on Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS  but it fails

fwiw, I've been successfully running Sonnet Lite v18.53 under Wine on MacOS. Looking at my notes, I didn't do anything special to install it, just:

Code: [Select]
wine64 msiexec /i ~/Downloads/setup_sonnetlite1853.msi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf