Author Topic: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?  (Read 13131 times)

Online ftg

• Regular Contributor
    • ftg's RF hax paeg
just released K5TOOL v1.8 with support for bootloader v5.

https://github.com/qrp73/K5TOOL/releases

Great work!
I'll test this with my V5 radio later today to confirm.

Offline eXisten

• Contributor
Yes, Great work!

Now, if I unpacked egzumer_v0.22.bin to egzumer_v0.22.raw (saved exactly like that), can I safely try to upload the software to the device?

If I have copies of my_calibration.bin and my_config.bin, will I be able to revert to the original version in the same way?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 07:10:18 pm by eXisten »

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
Now, if I unpacked egzumer_v0.22.bin to egzumer_v0.22.raw (saved exactly like that), can I safely try to upload the software to the device?

egzumer firmware uses * for version, so there is no need to unpack it, you can flash it as is with command -wrflash.

Unpack is needed for original firmware, because it has version which will not be accepted by bootloader.
You can specify version manually for unpacked firmware image to bypass bootloader version check.
But since original firmware depends on NVR content, you cannot run original firmware v2 on v5.
So, this operation useless with no NVR change.

If I have copies of my_calibration.bin and my_config.bin, will I be able to revert to the original version in the same way?

just run when the radio is powered on:
Code: [Select]
./k5tool -rdee
it will save full eeprom backup to eeprom-0000-2000.raw, save this file if you want to revert all configuration and calibrations back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 07:24:25 pm by radiolistener »

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, eXisten, adisapta

Offline eXisten

• Contributor
Yes! It works!

Thanks for the great work guys!

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
If you want to revert back to the stock v5, here is packed stock firmware v5.00.05:

The following users thanked this post: eXisten, Tumsk

Offline eXisten

• Contributor
Once again - many thanks!

Offline Tumsk

Great work guys, I just received one of the 2nd generation UV5R Plus units with the v5.00.01 bootloader and v5.00.05 factory firmware.
  • It's got a 2024 serial number.
  • It's factory marked as 8w output on the radio label but <= 5W in the manual.
  • A USB-C charging port is present (and there is a reference to an on-screen USB charging icon in the manual, but I do not see it on the LCD).
  • USB-C port does not support USB-C PD charging (or QC3.0), so it still needs a standard dumb USB charge port to charge at c. 4.7W
  • The battery is labelled as 3800mAh but also labelled 15.84Wh (which would make it 2200mAh) so I'm doubtful about real capacity.
  • Factory firmware updater v1.1.12 does not support the radio. Factory CPS 1.0.38 appear to support this radio.

So nothing obvious to suggest any hardware change that would warrant a new major boot/firmware revision.

With the eeprom read and the file stored safely away. Thanks to your hard work, I'll be flashing my favourite firmware tomorrow!  :-+

Offline adisapta

it works !!...

Thanks a lot...appreciate your hard work.... :-+

btw, I've 2nd generation UV5R Plus unit with the v5.00.01 bootloader and v5.00.05 factory firmware with USB charging port
Now have IJV on it...

once again... big thanks... !!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:41:19 pm by adisapta »

Offline Chris79

Re: Quansheng UV5 (new 2024 V5.00.03) wont allow FW change or chirp. Any Clues?
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2024, 11:53:33 am »
I can confirm it's working fine for me too.

Thanks to all that figured it out.

I flashed F4HWN 3.3 onto my new UV-5R plus this morning using K5Tool v1.8 on my Raspberry Pi 5 and copied all data onto it from another K5 using Chirp.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf